Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 USB Audio interface

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Moderator: Moderators

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 USB Audio interface

Post by The Paul meister »

In addition to the subject title, it is a Third-generation 18-in, 20-out interface for Mac or PC. It's a 1U rackmount unit.

This is not an exhaustive review, but I'll post what I can from my experience.

It has all the input/output you could be looking for: 2 XLR instrument inputs for guitar, bass or line, 6 more mic preamp inputs for mic or line and 10 balanced 1/4 inch outputs. It also has i/o for midi, 2 x ADAT, s/pdif, word clock out and 2 headphone jacks.

The output is USB C, but it comes with a USB C-A cable, for plugging into normal USB sockets.

The sound quality is excellent. I have recorded bass and guitar onto my Mac and then played it out through an amp and it sounds no different to playing the guitar straight into the amp.

I would add a caveat that I have tried this interface with PC and Mac. There is virtually no background noise with Mac, but with PC there is a bit of noise coming out through the amp, or V-amp 2 in my studio. When I used it with PC, I found that the headphone output with an insert cable gave less noise.

The other main feature of an audio interface is triggering soft synths without appreciable latency. On my Mac, you don't even have to configure anything - it just gives you low latency. In Cakewalk by Bandlab on PC you can set the latency. Anything less than 10ms is fine.

It also comes with a bundle of cool software if you look online. Some of this software wasn't available when I bought it. Every few months, they add more to this free software.

Overall I am very pleased with this equipment. When I bought it, it was £400 - I think it's gone up a bit since then. Also, I imagine all the smaller Focusrite interfaces sound the same. I don't have any experience of the Clarett range other than I think they're more expensive.

Cheers, Paul
The Paul meister
Regular

Recording low bass frequencies

Just to add,

I've tried this interface with a 4 string bass. I'm not sure how well it will handle lower bass frequencies from a 5 or 6 string bass.

I'm also using a Line 6 Bass pod xt. On the same note, I'm not sure if this likes a 5 or 6 string.

I'm sure with a bit of research on the internet, these questions can be resolved.

Cheers, Paul
The Paul meister
Regular

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 USB Audio interface

Post by Wonks »

The frequency response is quoted as being 20Hz to 20kHz±0.1dB. that's quoted for both mic and line inputs.

So the fundamental of a low B bass note (30.8Hz) is within that flat response range.

You'll struggle to get a playback system to reproduce 31Hz at any volume (wide-range headphones are your best option) and your typical stage bass amp + speakers will also struggle to reproduce the fundamental frequencies of the very lowest notes on the bass, so you normally hear the 2nd and upper harmonics from the bass and the brain normally fills in the missing fundamental.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17007 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Hi Wonks,

Thanks for finding that bit of information on the internet - I couldn't see it anywhere on the box. It's good to clarify this for me and other users.

Cheers, Paul
The Paul meister
Regular

Hi all,

Just to add - I'm using Logic Pro on my Mac.

Cheers, Paul
The Paul meister
Regular