Seriously? Justin Bieber's Back Catalog Fetches $200 Million?!?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

Seriously? Justin Bieber's Back Catalog Fetches $200 Million?!?

Post by dubbmann »

Hi all,

At the risk of outing myself as a Boomer (as well as someone with a modicum of musical taste, I'd like to think) this blows my mind.

https://pitchfork.com/news/justin-biebe ... 0-million/

I mean, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, and Neil Young? Sure, long careers produced huge catalogs of great songs. Justin Bieber? He's 28. Plus from what little I know of that niche inhabited by Bieber and countless others who don't write their own music, these people don't write anything but instead "collaborate" with up to a dozen producers on a single track, talent like Pharrel, Max Mayfield (?), and other top drawer creators who wield ProTools like a flick-knife.

All that said, I'm sure the hedgies at Hipgnosis (shame on them riding on the name of the graphics company founded by Storm Thorgenson) can work Excel spreadsheets with the best of them, and can plug in net-present-value (NPV) of future income streams. So presumably Blieber must be way more successful than I had realized.

I think it's time to go back into my Canterbury-Hawkwind-Krautrock bubble and pretent we're back in 1975. We had bubble-gum rock stars back then on the Billboard charts but we also had Virgin Music (1st incarnation w/ Mike Oldfield et al), Ohr, and other great labels (including UA out of London, whose impresario Giorgio Gomelsky had golden ears and a big checkbook.) Bob Calvert and Barney Bubbles were still alive and Bieber wasn't yet born.

I just want those damn kids to stay off my lawn!

Cheers,

d
dubbmann
Frequent Poster
Posts: 927 Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:00 am Location: 3rd stone from the sun.

Re: Seriously? Justin Bieber's Back Catalog Fetches $200 Million?!?

Post by zenguitar »

$10m for the back catalogue and $190m for a promise to stop making music :D

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12577 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

:clap::clap:
zenguitar wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:28 pm $10m for the back catalogue and $190m for a promise to stop making music :D

Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24729 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Apparently the name Hipgnosis is an homage. Nile Rodgers is an owner. I've no idea what they're about though. I tried reading their explanation but it makes absolutely no sense at all to me. Niall Ferguson's words are ringing in my ears.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2586 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Thinking about it a tad longer, I do like one Bieber song...

But that was actually written by Ed Sheeran. :roll:

I guess I'll just collect my senior citizens card and join the folks hollering at the kids on their lawn.
Shame it'll be at least 20 years before I can get my pension to go with it...
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by OneWorld »

zenguitar wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:28 pm $10m for the back catalogue and $190m for a promise to stop making music :D

Don't you mean stop making that din? I'm not sure I'd call it music :bouncy:
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by BigRedX »

What exactly has he sold (as was it it even Bieber doing the selling)? According to the BBC Hipgnosis Songs Capital have acquired the publishing rights to the songs, so unless Bieber owned his own publishing then it won't have affected his income at all. And if he did then it's only a portion of his performance royalties that is affected.

Edit: And thinking about it a bit more, if it was just the publishing, it could be a smart move, because to recoup the $200m Hipgnosis Songs Capital may have to work even harder at getting the songs placed in films and TV programs and persuading other artists to cover them, then a typical publish company would.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Wonks »

blinddrew wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:23 pm Thinking about it a tad longer, I do like one Bieberw song...

But that was actually written by Ed Sheeran. :roll:

Blinddrew likes Ed Sheeran..

[/kids chanting]
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17076 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Arpangel »

I don’t care one way or the other, in this case, it is, "only music"
If you’re in it for the money, fine, if not fine, I’ll just get on with what I’m doing thanks very much.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

He's apparently sold 80 million albums, but most of his income (approx $80m per year) comes from touring and endorsement deals.

He's getting older, so I expect his selling power will be waning, so it makes sense to sell up the rights whilst he's still able to shift the music in quantity.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17076 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by ManFromGlass »

This is all just the preparatory moves for many many years of reunion concerts, remixes, product launches, documentary films and duets with singers not born yet.

Drew you have MUCH to look forward to!!!!

and don’t forget the royalties are divided by writers share and publishing share so if Bieber gets 80 mil as a writer then the pot is 160 mil at least.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6702 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

BigRedX wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:17 am What exactly has he sold (as was it it even Bieber doing the selling)? According to the BBC Hipgnosis Songs Capital have acquired the publishing rights to the songs, so unless Bieber owned his own publishing then it won't have affected his income at all. And if he did then it's only a portion of his performance royalties that is affected.

Edit: And thinking about it a bit more, if it was just the publishing, it could be a smart move, because to recoup the $200m Hipgnosis Songs Capital may have to work even harder at getting the songs placed in films and TV programs and persuading other artists to cover them, then a typical publish company would.

The piece I read said that Hipgnosis had bought his writing share, the publishing rights and the rights to the masters.
I think that's more than some of the others mentioned upthread have sold - but I could be wrong on that.
Again.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by BigRedX »

If that is correct, it looks as though Bieber has sold all his interests in his back catalogue, which is more that others are reported to have sold.

I suspect that most of Bieber's back catalogue has multiple writers who all stand to do quite nicely out of the renewed interest these works will be getting from the sale and from Hipgonsis' future marketing of the catalogue.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

BigRedX wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:25 pm If that is correct, it looks as though Bieber has sold all his interests in his back catalogue, which is more that others are reported to have sold.

Which might explain the relative valuations.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by tea for two »

Then I saw her face now I'm a Belieber.
Lol.

Have to say those industry bods that chose Justin when Justin was a nipper they shure picked a lucky horse.
How were they to know that cherub was going to turn into this tattooed pseudo bad boi whilst not falling off the rails as some others have, or something else happening to him.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

that we know of yet. . . . . . . .
. .
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6702 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by tea for two »

I was there V Festival 2016 for Justin's set.
The dance numbers with his crew were alright.
Best bits for me was Justin with just Guitar.
He was nervous I think we can hear it in his voice.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTf-I5sw-uw

(Recorded by somebody else.
I was miles back on the end.
I took two paper card Justin Bieber masks lol with me for a giggle and for the person I went with.
Was ace couple people borrowed the Bieber masks to take pics, some others were having a right chortle lol).
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by dubbmann »

To the point of these five-ten person writing credits, I just read this in today's NYT in an oped by Warren Zanes of Del Fuegos, talking about attending an ASCAP banquet and sitting at the same table as Tom Petty, who was there to get a lifetime achievement award. Per Warren:

"Songwriting teams that sometimes had more than 10 writers were picking up the big prizes. At one point, Petty said, not too quietly: “How do you even write a song with that many people in the room? That’s more like a block party than a writing session.”"

Couldn't have said it better. ;-)

d
dubbmann
Frequent Poster
Posts: 927 Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:00 am Location: 3rd stone from the sun.

Post by RichardT »

tea for two wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:16 pm Then I saw her face now I'm a Belieber.
Lol.

Have to say those industry bods that chose Justin when Justin was a nipper they shure picked a lucky horse.
How were they to know that cherub was going to turn into this tattooed pseudo bad boi whilst not falling off the rails as some others have, or something else happening to him.

He has gone off the rails in the past but it looks like he’s doing better now - crashing expensive cars while under the influence for example.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4215 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Arpangel »

RichardT wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:54 pm
tea for two wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:16 pm Then I saw her face now I'm a Belieber.
Lol.

He has gone off the rails in the past but it looks like he’s doing better now - crashing expensive cars while under the influence for example.

Going off the rails, tattoos etc, that’s all carefully planned PR, to attract the target audience.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster