32 or 64 bit

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

32 or 64 bit

Post by pa28 »

Pure academic question, is there any advantage apart from the 4gb RAM limit on 32 bit, quality wise, to recording (Cubase 8.5 Pro) using 64 bit version?
pa28
Regular
Posts: 167 Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:00 am Location: u.k. London
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Re: 32 or 64 bit

Post by Wonks »

No. It's all about addressing more memory. You may get better performance in 64-bit mode as you can pull twice as much data in per clock pulse, but only if the code is optimised to do so (not all is). But more RAM these days normally is a huge advantage in running a DAW, especially with large sample libraries. However the sound quality remains the same.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by pa28 »

Thanks for that, you confirmed what I thought it might be. Only other problem I find is most of my lovely 32b plugs wont play ball with any kind of Bridge.

But not a major issue.
pa28
Regular
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Post by RichardT »

Exactly.

In later versions (I’m not sure if it includes 8.5) Cubase added the ability to run the audio engine at 64 bit precision. That probably made no difference either in practice!
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4187 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by James Perrett »

RichardT wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:22 pm In later versions (I’m not sure if it includes 8.5) Cubase added the ability to run the audio engine at 64 bit precision. That probably made no difference either in practice!

In theory 32 bit floating point isn't quite precise enough for audio processing. That's why most audio processing engines use 64 bit floats or older hardware will use 48-56 bit integers.
James Perrett
Posts: 14372 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

As James says, there is a small theoretical benefit to 64 bit float which is basically to do with rounding errors. I doubt anyone would notice with real-world recorded audio, though, and all computers are 64-bit now anyway.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39015 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by RichardT »

That’s true - but many plugins that need that precision already convert incoming 32 bit signals to 64 bit for internal processing.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4187 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by sonics »

Cubase 8.5 was the last to include their bit bridge, so you can run the 64-bit version and 32-bit plugins. Which is what I'd recommend. :)
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1638 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Martin Walker »

pa28 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:16 pm Only other problem I find is most of my lovely 32b plugs wont play ball with any kind of Bridge.

I'm intrigued by this comment, as I've had no problems running any of my now comparatively rare 32-bit plug-ins within Reaper using its own integral bridging.

Can you give a couple of examples of specific plug-ins that won't run within Cubase 8.5 Pro?
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Reaper does seem to handle 32-bit plugins better than some (most?) other DAWs.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24626 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by pa28 »

Even thouigh I have Amplitube 5, I like some of the sims in Amplitube 3, that wont load, neither do any Lexicon native reverbs, eTap2, or EMI TG 12412/12414 etc.
pa28
Regular

Post by Matt Houghton »

blinddrew wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:11 pm Reaper does seem to handle 32-bit plugins better than some (most?) other DAWs.

I gave up running 32-bit plug-ins in Cubase ages ago, but also in Reaper, as they sat in a separate Window that was handled differently from the rest, and that got really annoying! Dunno if that's changes since then, as I've not looked back...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by BJG145 »

I still use jBridge occasionally and always found it reliable; you could try the demo.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Matt Houghton wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:30 pm
blinddrew wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:11 pm Reaper does seem to handle 32-bit plugins better than some (most?) other DAWs.

I gave up running 32-bit plug-ins in Cubase ages ago, but also in Reaper, as they sat in a separate Window that was handled differently from the rest, and that got really annoying! Dunno if that's changes since then, as I've not looked back...

It still launches in a separate window but doesn't seem to have any other different handling that I've noticed.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24626 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by James Perrett »

Matt Houghton wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:30 pm I gave up running 32-bit plug-ins in Cubase ages ago, but also in Reaper, as they sat in a separate Window that was handled differently from the rest, and that got really annoying! Dunno if that's changes since then, as I've not looked back...

With Reaper it depends on how you like to work. I often open plug-ins from the mixer so every plug-in opens in its own window and 32 bit plug-ins are no different. If you access plug-ins from the dialog box that opens when you click the FX button in the track control panel then you will notice a difference because 32 bit plug-ins still open in their own window and I can't see any way to change this in the preferences.
James Perrett

Post by N i g e l »

Cakewalk has/had bitbridge which for me was seamless [mag review~2010 suggests it was limited in the number of instantiations].
Stuff still works, so I guess its all still going on in the background.

I wish they would have a similar wrapper that could take 44.1/48K VSTs up to 96k, just for convienience.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3711 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by pa28 »

Martin Walker wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:46 pm
pa28 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:16 pm Only other problem I find is most of my lovely 32b plugs wont play ball with any kind of Bridge.

I'm intrigued by this comment, as I've had no problems running any of my now comparatively rare 32-bit plug-ins within Reaper using its own integral bridging.

Can you give a couple of examples of specific plug-ins that won't run within Cubase 8.5 Pro?

Had a good look at my Cubase install and it seemed after a few years I had a few bits missing (not me my brain) so a repair of Cubase 8.5 re-installed the missing bridge and things seem to be stable at moment thanks for all help/comments.
pa28
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

N i g e l wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:50 am I wish they would have a similar wrapper that could take 44.1/48K VSTs up to 96k, just for convienience.

I think you can guess what I'm going to say...

Try Reaper. They added this feature a few months ago. It can now resample up to 16X the original sample rate (though I've never felt the need to go higher than 2X).
James Perrett

Post by Martin Walker »

James Perrett wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:23 pm
N i g e l wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:50 am I wish they would have a similar wrapper that could take 44.1/48K VSTs up to 96k, just for convienience.

I think you can guess what I'm going to say...

Try Reaper. They added this feature a few months ago. It can now resample up to 16X the original sample rate (though I've never felt the need to go higher than 2X).

Like you, I'm using Reaper's x2 for most of the plug-ins that benefit from oversampling, but I do have two or three preamp/saturation plug-ins that ideally need x4 to minimise artefacts.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK