iPad app for multiple app controlled mixers

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

iPad app for multiple app controlled mixers

Post by dudeofthedunes »

Hi,

I am working with multiple desks in multiple venues. I was wondering if there is a good app, with all the essentials that can be used to control a behringer xr12 (2 little clubs), a A&H sq5, an A&H sq6 and a d-live unit and a mackie DL32s.
I get tired of switching apps every night and was hoping there is a way to get all these things to work on the same app. Also the x-air app is a pain in the butt and I would like an alternative way of interfacing with the behringer stuff if a universal app is not possible.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
dudeofthedunes

Re: iPad app for multiple app controlled mixers

Post by shufflebeat »

Have a look at Mixing Station.

https://mixingstation.app/

Should be able to take some of the strain, at least.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9105 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by The Elf »

If you can find the MIDI spec you can rustle up your own in MIDI Designer Pro. That's what I've done with every mixing solution I've owned that allows it.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by sonics »

shufflebeat wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:58 pm Have a look at Mixing Station.

https://mixingstation.app/

That's your answer. Updated regularly. Very affordable. I can't imagine why you wouldn't use it.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1641 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by AlecSp »

dudeofthedunes wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:12 pm I was wondering if there is a good app, with all the essentials that can be used to control a behringer xr12 (2 little clubs), a A&H sq5, an A&H sq6 and a d-live unit and a mackie DL32s.
I get tired of switching apps every night and was hoping there is a way to get all these things to work on the same app. Also the x-air app is a pain in the butt

As others have mentioned, Mixing Station is (I believe) the only multi-platform software. Originally written for X32/XR, it's been extended to cover a variety of other supported mixers which, fortunately for you, includes all that you use.

Mixing Station is actively supported and updated to cater for new mixer firmware. It may not be pretty, especially editing effects parameters, but is extensively customisable. Significantly, it runs on anything - while SQ-PAD is very laggy on a slower tablet, Mixing Station just flies along. It's always a little tragic to hear of X32/XR users still struggling along with the rather useless Behringer app.

Expect to pay a small amount per mixer platform - money well spent. Also bear in mind that there are a few mixer features un-supported. X32/XR mixer control is comprehensive. With SQ you can't do stereo chanel linking and, while you can route inputs, you can't route outputs. But for in-show mixing, it's just dandy.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster
Posts: 673 Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:00 am Location: Herts, UK