All New Lyrics Mixed too Low now

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

All New Lyrics Mixed too Low now

Post by ManFromGlass »

It might not just be me -
I try to keep up on what the kids are listening to on the radio. Almost all of it drives me crazy now as I am finding except for a vocal hook which is usually doubled and/or harmonized, that all vocals of late are mixed too low to be intelligible.
Wasn’t there a time when a large number of lyrics could be understood and sung along to?
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6685 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Re: All New Lyrics Mixed too Low now

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I will be the first to admit that I don't listen to a lot of popular music these days, but it's not something I've noticed. Have you had your ears tested recently (or checked for wax build up)?
It would seem to be a strange mixing decision from a commercial perspective.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24649 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Wonks »

Listen to a different radio station where they play tracks you can hear the lyrics on.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17022 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by ManFromGlass »

No need to test them, I can see them when I look in the mirror - :wtf:
Sorry my sense of humour is deteriorating with my spelling, memory and hearing. I know my ears are down to about 9k. But older songs, even ones that I don’t have the lyrics memorised I can follow with the odd word or phrase exception.
So perhaps selective hearing is setting in even though there is occasionally a well done tune on the radio. I will even admit to checking out country music and the same noise/vocal ratio is there. Don’t get me started on French pop and club music!!

Mr Wonks - I like to scan the radio bands looking for happy surprises.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6685 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by sonics »

Things have changed, yes. A vocal performance is so often more of an amplified whisper than a sung one. Clarity of pronunciation seems to be at an all-time low. Melodies are much less composed, and tend to sit in with the harmony, rather than move around it. The backing is generally much louder than it used to be. Modern mastering further pushes the instruments up to the voices.

Overall, it's a yes from me... (to modern vocals being less intelligible).
:thumbdown:
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1641 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Sam Spoons »

Not unlike the dialogue in most modern TV shows and films.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19734 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by MarkOne »

sonics wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:39 pm Melodies are much less composed, and tend to sit in with the harmony,

I watched an Andrew Haung YouTube that shows a lot of modern melodies sit more or less on the II of the scale because that note harmonises reasonably well with nearly all chords in the scale.

Hooray for mediocrity!
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by jimjazzdad »

As a cranky old geezer, one of the things that drives me crazy is how many of the current generation of vocalists swallow vowels, don't enunciate, and generally don't understand emphasis. These deficiencies are at least partially responsible for poor intelligibility in addition to low vocal mix levels.
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA