Sony UTX-B1 replacement mic is quiet

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Sony UTX-B1 replacement mic is quiet

Post by dirtbag11 »

Hi guys

i recently needed to replace my microphone on my sony radio mic transmitter UTX- B1 and the new one i got i can barely hear anything once I've plugged it in. It's a TRS 3.5mm jack like the original. The brand is Behringer BC LAV GO but it's hardly picking up anything. any thoughts on this?
dirtbag11
New here

Re: Sony UTX-B1 replacement mic is quiet

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Have you adjusted the input sensitivity of the transmitter?
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39020 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by dirtbag11 »

high thanks for the quick reply, yes i have done that
dirtbag11
New here

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Ah.... looking at the specs, the Sony transmitter should have sufficient gain range (called attenuation range on the Sony unit) to work with the Behringer lavalier mic's published sensitivity.

So if you've tried reducing the transmitter's audio attenuation (ie, increasing its gain) and the mic is still too quiet there's a more serious problem!

My first thoughts would be either an incompatible 3.5mm plug on the Behringer mic (the screw locking mechanism on some can affect the alignment of socket contacts with plug contacts), or possibly an incompatible plug-in power voltage (although that is pretty unlikely).
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39020 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Wonks »

All I can think of is that the original headset mic (which is what the documentation on the UWP-X5 set indicates it came with) was positioned near your mouth, whilst the Behringer is 'unidirectional' (presumably cardioid but they don't say) and as a clip-on lavalier is going to be a lot further away from your mouth.

Whilst a lot of lavalier mics are omnidirectional and are best used with the end of the mic pointing away from the mouth to minimise breath noise, the unidirectional ones do need to be pointed towards it.

If you hold it in the same position as the headset microphone would be and you are pointing it at your mouth, do you get a similar output level?

If your set came with a lavalier mic, do you gave a part number for it? It may be that the sensitivity of the Behringer mic (-50dBV) is a lot less than the Sony mic. Looking on Amazon, I've seen another lavalier listed as suitable for use with the Sony as having a -42dBV sensitivity, so significantly louder than the Behringer.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by dirtbag11 »

yes i have a feeling something more serious is up. i've had these for nearlly 15 years to be fair proably time for an upgrade, any recommendations would be much appreciated. simple transmitter/receiver kit i need
dirtbag11
New here

Post by dirtbag11 »

do you have the link to -42db mic on amazon aswell?
dirtbag11
New here

Post by Mike Stranks »

dirtbag11 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:34 pm yes i have a feeling something more serious is up. i've had these for nearlly 15 years to be fair proably time for an upgrade, any recommendations would be much appreciated. simple transmitter/receiver kit i need

Hi dirtbag; welcome to the forum....

Regarding a new radio mic system, a few questions:

Are you in the UK?
Is this for live-show work, presentations/lectures, video or something else?
Do you want a clip-on mic or a headset?
What's the budget?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

dirtbag11 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:01 pm do you have the link to -42db mic on amazon aswell?

Sorry, it was on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291526837771

No idea if it's any good, it was the first one I came across on a search.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.