Universal Audio Volt 2 vs Audient ID14mkII Converters

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Universal Audio Volt 2 vs Audient ID14mkII Converters

Post by Richard Stringer »

Does anyone know for definite (without guessing) which has the best sound quality converters oiut of the Universal Audio Volt 2 and Audient ID14mkII? I don't care about features or anything else I just would like to know which has the best converter quality, thanks.
Richard Stringer
Poster

Re: Universal Audio Volt 2 vs Audient ID14mkII Converters

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Unfortunately neither of those have made it onto Hugh's test-bed yet https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... hp?t=79727
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Wonks »

Surely you really mean the whole package rather than just the converters? You can’t take the preamps and support circuitry out of the equation as the line inputs are padded down and run through the mic pres.

If you want a technical spec increase in basic converter quality, then you probably need to spend at least 5x the cost of these units, and even then you probably won’t hear a difference as converter technology is so mature now that even the cheapest units are more than good enough in that respect. Yes, the S/N ratios and dynamic range can be bettered by a few dB, but unless you are recording in a soundproofed anechoic chamber, I doubt if it would make a bit of difference. You are already at the point where basic thermal noise determines the noise floor.

So look at the whole package and sound, not just at converter specs.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Whole packagae no, just the coverters. I don't care what feature an audio interface has because I don't buy audio interfaces for feature I only use them for their converters and the ability to use them to record audio nothing more. I'm not that interested in specs, not a lot anyway because to me it's about how an audio interface sounds.
Richard Stringer
Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Richard Stringer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:23 amDoes anyone know for definite (without guessing) which has the best sound quality converters oiut of the Universal Audio Volt 2 and Audient ID14mkII?

Impossible question to answer. Sound quality is subjective. You can compare performance specs for converter chips, but (a) different people prioritise different specs and (b) there's no guarantee that claimed performance in isolation can be achieved in a complete product.

And that reveals an important point which Wonks has mentioned: you can't access the converters in isolation. You have to include the analogue input / output circuitry which will may have a far more significant influence on 'sound quality' than the actual converter chip.

Over the years I have found the dynamic range performance to be a fairly reliable indicator of overall accuracy (not musically enhanced or coloured) and technical performance.

Looking at the published specs, it appears the Audient unit is capable of a significantly greater dynamic range than the Universal one, although I don't think those paper specs are actually directly comparable. In reality, the differences are rather smaller than the raw numbers imply. Nevertheless, it seems to me that the Audient has better converter performance.

However, in reality, even the worst measuring converters on the market today offer far better sound quality than is required in any normal home studio application. To all intents and purposes, comparing converters is irrelevant, and purchase decisions are more sensibly based on things like feature sets and support... or sound character if you prefer less accurate but musically enhanced recordings.

In my experience, Audient have always favoured accuracy and fidelity, whereas Universal like a little bit of musical flattery.

At the end of the day, it's your ears and your preferences. If sound character is your only deciding factor you'll have to try and listen for yourself.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

When I said converter sound quality I meant which one has the best sounding recorded audio. By best sounding I mean the clearest sound, or the most accurate to how the original audio source sounds.
Richard Stringer
Poster

Post by Wonks »

Richard Stringer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:41 am Whole packagae no, just the coverters. I don't care what feature an audio interface has because I don't buy audio interfaces for feature I only use them for their converters and the ability to use them to record audio nothing more. I'm not that interested in specs, not a lot anyway because to me it's about how an audio interface sounds.

I think you need to look into audio interfaces and recording a bit more before making statements like that.

You simply can’t ignore the preamp/line input quality when talking about recording quality. You could have the best A/D converters in the world but they’ll just accurately pass on the sound from the preamp. And if that isn’t good, then the recording will sound bad.

Very few interfaces these days have anything but competent preamps, but some have excellent ones and a few have superlative ones. But even still, the AI’s overall sound quality is a very small part of getting a good recorded performance. For a new AI, the A/D chip used provides an almost negligible contribution.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

They're all good and, assuming you're not overloading or recording at ridiculously low levels, I doubt anyone would reliably tell the difference between any current interface.

In terms of 'the most accurate sound' they all have THD figures which are below audibility in most cases.

But, if accuracy and fidelity is your aim, I'd choose the Audient if your shortlist is those two units.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Thanks, that's the kind of response I was looking for, which would be more accurate and which would be more colourful.
Richard Stringer
Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:thumbup: problem solved!
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Wonks »

In lieu of any SOS test results on the here are Julian Kraus' reviews and test results on the UAD Volt 2 https://youtu.be/wlp7h-cQU40
and the Audient ID4 Mkii https://youtu.be/sXDn2CPoaMQ

Providing you aren't using the mic preamp at its maximum gain, it looks like the UAD Volt 2 (in non-vintage mode) has the very slightly flatter response over the audible frequency range, but the differences are very slight and any microphone used will affect the sound far more than the preamp will.

Overall, the ID4Mkii has the better performance specs, though both are very good.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Wonks wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:09 pmProviding you aren't using the mic preamp at its maximum gain, it looks like the UAD Volt 2 (in non-vintage mode) has the very slightly flatter response over the audible frequency range, but the differences are very slight and any microphone used will affect the sound far more than the preamp will.

I always get nervous when I see pronounced roll-offs at the frequency extremes when preamps are set at maximum gain. It indicates a lack of gain-bandwidth product in the amplifier stages which translates directly to cut corners in the design. It really shouldn't happen in this day and age, yet it's still a common sight, even in seriously expensive big-name brands (I'm looking at you, Neumann!). Yet it doesn't happen in skillful designs, even relatively inexpensive ones (check out my reviews of Cranborne's preamps, for example).

Overall, the ID4Mkii has the better performance specs, though both are very good.

I agree.

For someone who places sound accuracy above all else, it seems odd that the Volt is option B on the shortlist since it's major selling point is its vintage sound mode...
Hugh Robjohns