What is Reblaze - a phisher? Virus?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

What is Reblaze - a phisher? Virus?

Post by OneWorld »

I am using the internet and click on various links (In Gumtree in this instance) and I get a full page saying Reblaze - human verification taking place and 'click here' which of course I will not do.

Does anyone know what Reblaze is, I have searched on the internet but I am none the wiser
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Re: What is Reblaze - a phisher? Virus?

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Reblaze is a suite of bundled capabilities collectively designed to protect a network (such as one hosting a website and its related backend platforms) from things like DDOS attacks and people trying to abuse APIs. Amongst other things it also integrates with CDNs and analyses the behaviour of users to verify that they are human as opposed to bots ... that kind of shizzle.

It's a genuine thing although, of course, one probably cannot say that about every page that claims to be it.

"If in doubt, don't click" is generally a good strategy for anything online.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Wonks »

You obviously didn't use the right words when searching.

My first hit: https://www.reblaze.com/
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by OneWorld »

Wonks wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:13 pm You obviously didn't use the right words when searching.

My first hit: https://www.reblaze.com/

????????? - i searched on reblaze, and was taken to www.reblaze.com, which looks like a legit and professionally designed site, but the page that appears on GumTree is so basic looking, it just seems phishy

Could it be that Gumtree has been hacked and suffered a DoS attack

Here the page that comes up in Gumtree

https://www.gumtree.com/search?search_c ... nce=0.0001
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

I don't see anything. I expect my ad blocker is getting rid of it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Wonks »

They (Reblaze) do indicate eBay use them, and Gumtree was owned by eBay until mid-2022 when Gumtree was sold off, so it could be some legacy stuff that's still around (if Gumtree now no longer use Reblaze).

Or it could have been a bad website setting that may now be fixed.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by OneWorld »

Wonks wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:35 pm They (Reblaze) do indicate eBay use them, and Gumtree was owned by eBay until mid-2022 when Gumtree was sold off, so it could be some legacy stuff that's still around (if Gumtree now no longer use Reblaze).

Thanks for the info, I won't be clicking anything just to be on the safe side. It seems odd, I have never seen that page before
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

OneWorld wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:04 pm
Wonks wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:35 pm They (Reblaze) do indicate eBay use them, and Gumtree was owned by eBay until mid-2022 when Gumtree was sold off, so it could be some legacy stuff that's still around (if Gumtree now no longer use Reblaze).

Thanks for the info, I won't be clicking anything just to be on the safe side. It seems odd, I have never seen that page before

Just checked again, seems to be working ok now

OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Just picked up a little tip regarding logins.

It seems a phishing attempt can be recognised by a browser in browser screen.

More and more, when I log in anywhere, I get a poopup, "Login With Google" I don't know why Google is becoming so all pervasive, but that's another issue.

If you get that popup, resize the browser screen so it isn't full screen, attempt to drag the popup out of the main screen, to a different part of the desktop.

If the popup does not leave the browser window - it's a phisher.

I never bother using the "Use Google <<or whatever eg FaceBook etc>> login. I use a password manager, it's called my brain box and it has a fairly reliable memory module.

I think it sets a dangerous precedent using the "Log In With Your Google Account" it means we get in the habit of using one password for all sites we log in to - no way am I doing that!
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by sonics »

OneWorld wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:39 pm If the popup does not leave the browser window - it's a phisher.

So what stops a coder programming that type of window?

OneWorld wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:39 pm I think it sets a dangerous precedent using the "Log In With Your Google Account" it means we get in the habit of using one password for all sites we log in to - no way am I doing that!

2FA with a strong password which in turn accesses a saved list of strong passwords is much safer than anything the average human brain can remember.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1582 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by OneWorld »

sonics wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:38 am
OneWorld wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:39 pm If the popup does not leave the browser window - it's a phisher.

So what stops a coder programming that type of window?

OneWorld wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:39 pm I think it sets a dangerous precedent using the "Log In With Your Google Account" it means we get in the habit of using one password for all sites we log in to - no way am I doing that!

2FA with a strong password which in turn accesses a saved list of strong passwords is much safer than anything the average human brain can remember.

What stops a coder doing the same? I haven’t coded such a site but at firs5 glance I would say that a scammed website, which is a page produced by the scammer, and any webpage is easy enough to copy (visually, not functionally) and the pop up is just a page in a page. However the legitimate pop up is essentially a page that is a separate entity that goes outwith the main site to the legitimate login site. Yes a coder could emulate such a process, but the pop up wouldn’t go to the right place

You mention “The average human brain can remember…” how do you know my brain is average or that I don’t use another process? Which I keep to myself
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by BWC »

The fewer the number of things that you need to keep secret about your security, the stronger your security is. Another vote for a good PW manager here, though I wouldn't be comfortable using Google to login to everything or using any browser's built-in PW manager.
BWC
Regular
Posts: 477 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC