Another pedal. It’s SOS’s fault

For all tech discussions relating to Guitars, Basses, Amps, Pedals & Accessories.
Forum rules
For all tech discussions relating to Guitars, Basses, Amps, Pedals & Accessories.

Re: Another pedal. It’s SOS’s fault

Post by The Elf »

Bit hard to get from Day One - not just these days.

But you can't hold that against it. I think it's one-man operation, and I'm sure he'd like to supply more.

None of this detracts from it being a fabulous synth, and well worth the trouble to grab one.

Silly low price too. I think he could triple the price and it would still fly out the door.

And let's also not forget the tiny boxes that the likes of Dreadbox are turning out. If you're impressed by a lot of synth in a tiny box there's plenty out there to impress you.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20285 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Wonks »

OI! This is the guitar forum!:bouncy:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by The Elf »

Wonks wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:40 amOI! This is the guitar forum!:bouncy:

:lol:;) Think of it as a bridge to the Poly Effects, and hence to Beebo. Synths stealthily sneaking in trojan-like via FX pedals!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20285 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by ManFromGlass »

Wonks wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:26 pm A review/demo of the Meris LVX on the JHS show.

https://youtu.be/NXtNvKE3ses

Had a good chuckle at this. Enjoyed their enthusiasm. Surprised at how good the drums sounded in that space. Not a deep dive into the pedal but still good to see what they come up with and how they use it.
But what’s the deal with their very cool space? Holy cow! Good idea using walls full of pedals as diffusors! Perhaps they learned that trick from some of those crazy synth collectors who inhabit these forums?
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6833 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by resistorman »

Wonks wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:40 amOI! This is the guitar forum!:bouncy:

Ooops! Well, we don't have a "money siphoning caused by magazine review of miniature device" forum as of yet. Though you_could_use the Lemondrop as a guitar granualizer/ EFX, unit, it has a live input function for the granular oscillators, and the chorus and reverb are especially tasty.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2743 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Arpangel »

I’ve just put my Behringer FX2000 set to vibrato mode, on the end of my MidiVerb 11, it sounds just like that Vongon Ultrasheer, I think I’ve just saved myself five hundred quid.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by tea for two »

I'd like a voice activated Guitar modeller with hundreds of tones.
I would say to the modeller : give me that SRV tone.
Although if I had a heavy accent it would probably confuse the modeller lol.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by sonics »

tea for two wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:14 pm I'd like a voice activated Guitar modeller with hundreds of tones.
I would say to the modeller : give me that SRV tone.
Although if I had a heavy accent it would probably confuse the modeller lol.

That's been available for a couple of decades, really. For example, the Line 6 Amplifi and Firehawk boxes are controlled via Bluetooth. Just type in (or speak!) a song or artist and watch those recommendations appear!

I just did an online search for "SRV" for my old POD and it came up with 18 hits...
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by tea for two »

Jeeeeez I'm so behind the times lol.
It does this from phone or tablet.
But it's not built in voice activated?
I'd want it to work without any intermediary device, kinda as Alexa (which I don't have) play some Billie Holiday.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by sonics »

You just use a phone or tablet, yes. Simply replace the type entry with your devices voice recognition and welcome to the future!
Have a look at THIS example.

I'm sure other companies (like Positive Grid, for example) must have something similar, too.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Arpangel »

Our builder came down into the basement yesterday, he said "that’s a nice sound" I was using the modular, it was a farting noise accompanied by what sounded like someone rubbing a balloon, I said "yes, it’s taken me two hours to make that, sad isn’t it" he laughed.
I can just imagine his reaction, if he saw me talking to my pedals.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

do they talk back?
:smirk:
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster

Post by Wonks »

Talk? They control his every action! :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Matt Houghton »

Arpangel wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:05 am Our builder came down into the basement yesterday, he said "that’s a nice sound" I was using the modular, it was a farting noise accompanied by what sounded like someone rubbing a balloon, I said "yes, it’s taken me two hours to make that, sad isn’t it" he laughed.
I can just imagine his reaction, if he saw me talking to my pedals.

On the bright side, he didn't whip out a balloon and tell you he could make the same sound in two seconds... :beamup:
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by Wonks »

He didn't need to, he'd had beans for breakfast...
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by ManFromGlass »

I guess there’s nothing more satisfying than electronic instruments producing organic sounds. Kind of like trying to make chicken from tofu or burgers from worms and spices.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster

Post by arkieboy »

ManFromGlass wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:44 pm
Wonks wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:26 pm A review/demo of the Meris LVX on the JHS show.

https://youtu.be/NXtNvKE3ses

Had a good chuckle at this. Enjoyed their enthusiasm. Surprised at how good the drums sounded in that space. Not a deep dive into the pedal but still good to see what they come up with and how they use it.
But what’s the deal with their very cool space? Holy cow! Good idea using walls full of pedals as diffusors! Perhaps they learned that trick from some of those crazy synth collectors who inhabit these forums?

The facility is part of Josh Scott's pedal company and houses his obsessive/compulsive collection of effects pedals.

If you want to get into the degree of obsession try out a bit of this https://youtu.be/NCr0p9bEUkY?t=137

They are pretty good at making entertaining and educational content on the channel and while they will indulge in 'shameless plugs' they are pretty fair and even handed across the pedal manufacturing industry. Love the show to bits. And yes, the do get a great sound for the jams that frequently feature in their videos.
arkieboy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 524 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Oxfordish

Post by arkieboy »

pedal manufacturing industry.

no idea why the word 'centre' got in there.

apologies
arkieboy
Frequent Poster

Post by zenguitar »

arkieboy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:14 pm pedal manufacturing industry.

no idea why the word 'centre' got in there.

apologies

I've edited your original post to read pedal manufacturing industry rather than pedal manufacturing centre.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12674 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by arkieboy »

Thanks, Zen
arkieboy
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

ManFromGlass wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:45 pm I guess there’s nothing more satisfying than electronic instruments producing organic sounds. Kind of like trying to make chicken from tofu or burgers from worms and spices.

Hmmm?
I have a friend who hates, and I mean hates, anything that’s an imitation of, anything.
He believes that synthesisers should sound like synthesisers and not imitate anything.
He's right in a way but I’m exactly the opposite for reasons I can’t put my finger on.
He’s only ever used a synth on one track if his as he’s primarily a guitarist but he used it in very “synthetic” way like a dry saw tooth wave.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

Your post made me think -
would the current ai generated voices be considered synth voices? In other words a voice synth. Wasn’t creating a synth that could speak a thing years back?
So theoretically we could see a band onstage one day and the vocals and ad-libs between tunes are being “played” in real time by someone behind some form of synth.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster

Post by Arpangel »

ManFromGlass wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:51 pm Your post made me think -
would the current ai generated voices be considered synth voices? In other words a voice synth. Wasn’t creating a synth that could speak a thing years back?
So theoretically we could see a band onstage one day and the vocals and ad-libs between tunes are being “played” in real time by someone behind some form of synth.

I had a very interesting conversation with an artist the other day, a painter, she said that her young sons had been to that virtual Abba concert here in London, and it’s surprising what they thought of it, as young people.
They said, it could make going to festivals a whole different experience, so it’s not just sounds we’re talking about here, it could be that everything we see, and hear, shortly, could be just an imitation.
We only got talking after I said to her "you don’t want to talk to me, I’m just a reactionary old fart"
We got on absolutely fine after that.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by N i g e l »

The Yamaha Vocaloid singing synth is on V6 now. You can free trial it for a month.

https://www.vocaloid.com/en/

In Japan, there are Manga concerts with a "holographic" projected cartoon singer, with synthetic voice, is accompanied by a real backing band.
:crazy:
Sort of like the ABBA experience but different
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3895 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Arpangel »

N i g e l wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:30 am

The Yamaha Vocaloid singing synth is on V6 now. You can free trial it for a month.

https://www.vocaloid.com/en/

In Japan, there are Manga concerts with a "holographic" projected cartoon singer, with synthetic voice, is accompanied by a real backing band.
:crazy:
Sort of like the ABBA experience but different

IMO, "live music" played by human beings, is a very special "experience" by it's very nature, it cannot, be replicated, it’s all about human interaction, and yes, that word again, all about when the "magic" occurs.
A sound recording is a different thing, and it can’t be compared.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

Going to a show like this one is basically sharing a hyper-youtube (with killer sound system) with a large group of people. Or maybe it’s the next level of going to see a movie. Or next level of IMAX.
Nowhere close to a live show but getting there.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster

Post by Arpangel »

This modern world, holds nothing for me.
(cue violins)

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

I welcome and embrace our ai tech overlords
(Cue the synth chip embedded in my brain/earcanal)

:tongue:
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster

Post by Arpangel »

I almost, bought another pedal yesterday, until I found out it was just a pile of s**t dressed up in new clothes.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

I’ve decided to sell my Boss Compression Sustainer. Some love it but I have never been able to find the right settings that work with my style.
I’m far from an “even” player but found that the compressor flattens the dynamics too much.
Perhaps I’m missing the point of a compressor but I’ve found any form of distortion does a similar thing. On keys I have even less dynamics.
Maybe my concept on the philosophy of when to use it needs an overhaul?
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster