DM1000 White Noise From Omni Out In Live Application

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

DM1000 White Noise From Omni Out In Live Application

Post by joe@joeaudio.ca »

Hello Everyone

I have recently retired my Yamaha DM1000 and put it in our rehearsal space to run our PA and monitors.

I am rooting the Stereo output to a pair of Omni Outputs.

For some reason I am getting a hiss (white noise) from the PA when I connect the Omni Outputs to the powered speakers. When I disconnect the cable from the Omni Output, it disappears. This is with the Main Stereo fader down.

I am baffled, as the mixer is totally quiet when I connect my studio monitors to the Omni Outputs on the Control Room outputs.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Joe
joe@joeaudio.ca

Re: DM1000 White Noise From Omni Out In Live Application

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Assuming you've checked and swapped cables, with no improvement, and you're sure you're using the omni outs and not an AES out, I'd suspect the PA speakers are susceptible to RF interference and/or a ground-loop issue.

You could try a line-isolating transformer box — my standard choice is the ART DTI, but there are plenty of alternatives. That would certainly resolve any ground-loop problems, and should help with radiated RFI too
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38985 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: DM1000 White Noise From Omni Out In Live Application

Post by twotoedsloth »

This is just taking a stab at it, but do you perhaps have the oscillator engaged sending white (or pink) noise to the aux send?

Best of luck sorting this out,

Peter
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster