DI box for guitars to mixer

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by punkyfish »

Hi,

I gave a Yamaha MG16X 16-Channel Mixer and want to hook up a bass, electro acoustic and lead guitar. The manual says use a DI. What do I need, what does it do and recommendations - not too expensive, thankyou
User avatar
punkyfish
Poster
Posts: 61 Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:59 am

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by Martin Walker »

The simplest answer is that you need a DI (Direct Injection) box between the unbalanced outputs of your electric guitars and a balanced mic input on your Yamaha mixing desk, and also to provide the guitar with a high impedance input.

The most comprehensive answer to this would be to read the following sound on sound features:

Using DI Boxes: Choosing The Most Suitable Type: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/using-di-boxes

Prepare to DI! Using DI Boxes On Stage:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/prepare-di

Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 20684 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by Wonks »

I’m not convinced that the lead guitar should be DId unless either the amp has a speaker emulated output or if there is no amp, their pedal(s) of choice has an emulated output. If they’ve only got standard pedals into an amp, then you’ll need to mic the amp up or it will sound awful.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17165 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by ore_terra »

that's what you would do if you - for some reason - were to plug the electric guitar straight to the mixer. If there's an amp involved what you will do is mic the amp. If there's a multifx or amp emulator (helix, kemper, etc) you will take the DI out from the device and straight to the mixer.
User avatar
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1067 Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 pm Location: Seville - Spain
casmoestudio.com

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by Chet Leeway »

I recently got a Sadowsky SBP-1, a preamp/DI for bass. Very happy with it.

For electric guitar, my Vox Valvestate amp has a lineout that can be plugged straight into the mixer, but if I were serious about it I would be looking at a better amp and run it through one of Two Notes' boxes. For a simple guitar > thing > mixer solution, I use a Line6 Helix Stomp.

For acoustic guitar, the brands Fishman and L.R. Baggs are the standard recommendations. I got a cheaper TC Electronic BodyRez pedal that improves the sound to a certain extent, but I wouldn't strongly recommend it.
User avatar
Chet Leeway
Regular
Posts: 132 Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 8:13 pm Location: Barcelona

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by punkyfish »

ore_terra wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:40 pm that's what you would do if you - for some reason - were to plug the electric guitar straight to the mixer. If there's an amp involved what you will do is mic the amp. If there's a multifx or amp emulator (helix, kemper, etc) you will take the DI out from the device and straight to the mixer.

It’s all new to me, been given the equipment and trying to work out how to hook things up.nos if you plug an electric guitar straight into the mixer would it still come out of the powered speakers? I don’t know what you mean by multifaceted or amp emulator sorry
User avatar
punkyfish
Poster
Posts: 61 Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:59 am

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by punkyfish »

Chet Leeway wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:03 pm I recently got a Sadowsky SBP-1, a preamp/DI for bass. Very happy with it.

For electric guitar, my Vox Valvestate amp has a lineout that can be plugged straight into the mixer, but if I were serious about it I would be looking at a better amp and run it through one of Two Notes' boxes. For a simple guitar > thing > mixer solution, I use a Line6 Helix Stomp.

For acoustic guitar, the brands Fishman and L.R. Baggs are the standard recommendations. I got a cheaper TC Electronic BodyRez pedal that improves the sound to a certain extent, but I wouldn't strongly recommend it.

Okay so if I understand correctly, if there is a line out on guitar amp it can go straight into the mixer, if not I need one of those brands mentioned?
User avatar
punkyfish
Poster
Posts: 61 Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:59 am

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by punkyfish »

Wonks wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:32 pm I’m not convinced that the lead guitar should be DId unless either the amp has a speaker emulated output or if there is no amp, their pedal(s) of choice has an emulated output. If they’ve only got standard pedals into an amp, then you’ll need to mic the amp up or it will sound awful.

What is an emulated output?

I think I’m confused because I have a focusrite audio thing that has pre amps on it so I can go straight into it without an amp.
User avatar
punkyfish
Poster
Posts: 61 Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:59 am

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by James Perrett »

punkyfish wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:15 pm What is an emulated output?

It is an output that has a filter on it with a response similar to the response of a guitar speaker. Guitar speakers produce very little real high end but can produce quite a bit of sound in the 2-3kHz area. When you use distortion, the raw distorted signal sounds very thin and fizzy because it relies on the speaker to smooth out the sound. If you don't want to use a real speaker then you have to use some kind of speaker emulator for distorted sounds.

If you had a mixer with more sophisticated eq you might be able to roughly emulate a speaker by rolling off the high end and maybe boosting the mid a bit.

punkyfish wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:15 pm I think I’m confused because I have a focusrite audio thing that has pre amps on it so I can go straight into it without an amp.

Yes, that will have the equivalent of a DI box built in. You can also use effects in the computer to emulate a speaker.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 14452 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by Mike Stranks »

I used to have one of these:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_gi100_ultra-g.htm

in my DI collection as someone here had spoken approvingly of its emulation mode.

The guitarists who used it to DI their electric guitars also seemed happy with the sound produced.

Doubtless, there are many other 'emulation' DIs available...

NB. Not all Behringer DIs are the same. There are some that many of us here wouldn't touch with a barge-pole! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10474 Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:00 am

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by Chet Leeway »

My response was built on the assumption that you wanted to use the mixer for practice, rehearsals, jams or small gigs.

For recording to a computer, I normally go straight into my audio interface, which has an input for that purpose, and run the sound through amp simulators or whatever "in the box". That's easiest to set up and most flexible.

The products I mentioned could still be useful if you want to establish your sound "out of the box" (for instance with your favourite pedal and amp settings) and avoid the temptation to go through gazillions of amp sim presets or otherwise waste time tweaking your sound after recording. In my case the Sadowski is a shortcut to a perfect sound for me, so I'll often use that going into the audio interface even though it's not strictly necessary.
User avatar
Chet Leeway
Regular
Posts: 132 Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 8:13 pm Location: Barcelona

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by ef37a »

punkyfish wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:15 pm
Wonks wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:32 pm I’m not convinced that the lead guitar should be DId unless either the amp has a speaker emulated output or if there is no amp, their pedal(s) of choice has an emulated output. If they’ve only got standard pedals into an amp, then you’ll need to mic the amp up or it will sound awful.

What is an emulated output?

I think I’m confused because I have a focusrite audio thing that has pre amps on it so I can go straight into it without an amp.

I am not surprised at your confusion friend. Yes you do indeed need a high input impedance DI box for the lead* guitar and yes, 'flat' lead guitar does sound pretty dreadful through full range speakers but the mixer has 3 band EQ and I am sure you will be able to find a setting that gives you an approximation to a guitar speaker. That after all is what is being "emulated" and since they all differ, there is no one EM curve that is 'right'. You will probably need a bit of bass boost, a dip in the mids and a roll off starting around 5-6kHz. I could probably find you some dB numbers if you wanted but they would be only 'one man's' idea of one speaker's emulation. A good one shot solution would be a graphic EQ pedal. Got your hi-Z and EQ all in one box.

And of course, as you say you just fire straight into the Instru' input on your interface and that seems ok and I don't know of any AI that has emulated inputs?

*Bass I doubt will need any emulation anyway. In fact I would try it straight into a line in on the mixer, the only problem I foresee is perhaps a lack or gain? (Ooo! I could try my bass through my Berry 1202. Will do tom')
Acoustic guitar amplifiers are essentially 'flat' and use full range speakers. You should be able to go into a line input if it is an active guitar. If not you really need a much higher input impedance around 10meg Ohms, ten times the typical guitar amp. Such acoustic pre amps tend to be rather expensive but you could try a phantom powered active DI then EQ the **** out of it?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16664 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by resistorman »

I don't think running an electric guitar straight in sounds "dreadful" at all! I like to do it with mine, and several clients of mine have done the same on our projects. In fact, for many of my songs, I much prefer it over an amp or emulator. I will use an amp or sim for a lot of things, but not all.
User avatar
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2712 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by Wonks »

Punkyfish, what are you actually trying to do?

You’ve posted in the live sound section so is this -

1) About how to get instruments into your mixer for the purposes of putting them through a PA for a gig?

2) About how to record a band at a live gig?

3) About how to record a band in a studio?

4) Some specific variation of the above?

Until we know, all we can do is speculate, which means that a lot of the answers given above are probably unhelpful and confusing to you.

We can provide solutions to specific problems, but until we know what that problem is, you are going to get a lot of replies that fly off at tangents that don’t help at all and confuse matters.

So we first need to know just what you are trying to do. More questions will follow, but knowing what you are trying to do will allow us to ask meaningful questions.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17165 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by ef37a »

resistorman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:46 am I don't think running an electric guitar straight in sounds "dreadful" at all! I like to do it with mine, and several clients of mine have done the same on our projects. In fact, for many of my songs, I much prefer it over an amp or emulator. I will use an amp or sim for a lot of things, but not all.

I think it depends on genre and whether the guitar is clean or heavily distorted?
I was first introduced to speaker emulation at Blackstar and its main purpose was to make an over driven guitar signal sound acceptable through a pair of hi-fi speakers. But there is also the safety of the tweeter to consider. Highly rated and protected active monitors and PA tweeters might be in little danger (but not none!) but domestic hi-fi will be.
I have dug out some numbers for a pedal and the EM response is -4.4dB ref 1kHz at 5kHz and -19.5dB at 10kHz. The natural pedal response does not extend much beyond 15kHz anyway.

But yes, we need the OP's precise MO.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16664 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by shufflebeat »

Also - what's the acoustic guitar?
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9117 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by ef37a »

As promised, I plugged my plywood 'P' bass into line input 3 of my Behringer mixer. With channel pot at vertical ('0' dB) and the Main Mix fader at '0' as well I could easily get enough gain to hit +6dB on the LEDS. I could have pushed it harder but feared for my Tannoy 5As. Many a dad's Kef Chorals have been borked by a bass guitar!

It sounded just as I would expect a bass to sound and so, as I suspected, there is no real need for a 1meg input for bass G.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16664 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by punkyfish »

Chet Leeway wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:26 pm My response was built on the assumption that you wanted to use the mixer for practice, rehearsals, jams or small gigs.

Hi, yes bang on. I think I thought I could do the same using the mixer and it would work, because I can do that with the focusrite. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.
User avatar
punkyfish
Poster
Posts: 61 Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:59 am

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by punkyfish »

Wonks wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:00 am Punkyfish, what are you actually trying to do?

1) About how to get instruments into your mixer for the purposes of putting them through a PA for a gig?

Apologies, I would like to put a bass guitar, electric lead guitar, keyboard/synth, electro acoustic guitar through the mixer which then goes to Yamaha powered speakers.

I’m a singer so fine with mikes however no experience of anything else. I have been given this equipment so trying to fathom out how everything works. I don’t have guitar or keyboard amps and the focusrite addition was purely to explain that I can plug the instruments straight in, which I thought I could do with the mixer.

Any help with that would be amazing thank you.

I also want to ask about electric drums and do they plug in, never used before and don’t have yet, but maybe that would be better as a separate post?

All help gratefully appreciated!
User avatar
punkyfish
Poster
Posts: 61 Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:59 am

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by punkyfish »

shufflebeat wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:10 am Also - what's the acoustic guitar?

Probably this is or a fender strat, purely for finger picking accompaniment for a ballad.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-B ... -Burst/5K2

Thankyou
User avatar
punkyfish
Poster
Posts: 61 Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:59 am
Post Reply