DI box for guitars to mixer

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: DI box for guitars to mixer

Post by resistorman »

I don't think running an electric guitar straight in sounds "dreadful" at all! I like to do it with mine, and several clients of mine have done the same on our projects. In fact, for many of my songs, I much prefer it over an amp or emulator. I will use an amp or sim for a lot of things, but not all.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Wonks »

Punkyfish, what are you actually trying to do?

You’ve posted in the live sound section so is this -

1) About how to get instruments into your mixer for the purposes of putting them through a PA for a gig?

2) About how to record a band at a live gig?

3) About how to record a band in a studio?

4) Some specific variation of the above?

Until we know, all we can do is speculate, which means that a lot of the answers given above are probably unhelpful and confusing to you.

We can provide solutions to specific problems, but until we know what that problem is, you are going to get a lot of replies that fly off at tangents that don’t help at all and confuse matters.

So we first need to know just what you are trying to do. More questions will follow, but knowing what you are trying to do will allow us to ask meaningful questions.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by ef37a »

resistorman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:46 am I don't think running an electric guitar straight in sounds "dreadful" at all! I like to do it with mine, and several clients of mine have done the same on our projects. In fact, for many of my songs, I much prefer it over an amp or emulator. I will use an amp or sim for a lot of things, but not all.

I think it depends on genre and whether the guitar is clean or heavily distorted?
I was first introduced to speaker emulation at Blackstar and its main purpose was to make an over driven guitar signal sound acceptable through a pair of hi-fi speakers. But there is also the safety of the tweeter to consider. Highly rated and protected active monitors and PA tweeters might be in little danger (but not none!) but domestic hi-fi will be.
I have dug out some numbers for a pedal and the EM response is -4.4dB ref 1kHz at 5kHz and -19.5dB at 10kHz. The natural pedal response does not extend much beyond 15kHz anyway.

But yes, we need the OP's precise MO.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by shufflebeat »

Also - what's the acoustic guitar?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by ef37a »

As promised, I plugged my plywood 'P' bass into line input 3 of my Behringer mixer. With channel pot at vertical ('0' dB) and the Main Mix fader at '0' as well I could easily get enough gain to hit +6dB on the LEDS. I could have pushed it harder but feared for my Tannoy 5As. Many a dad's Kef Chorals have been borked by a bass guitar!

It sounded just as I would expect a bass to sound and so, as I suspected, there is no real need for a 1meg input for bass G.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by punkyfish »

Chet Leeway wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:26 pm My response was built on the assumption that you wanted to use the mixer for practice, rehearsals, jams or small gigs.

Hi, yes bang on. I think I thought I could do the same using the mixer and it would work, because I can do that with the focusrite. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.
punkyfish
Regular

Post by punkyfish »

Wonks wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:00 am Punkyfish, what are you actually trying to do?

1) About how to get instruments into your mixer for the purposes of putting them through a PA for a gig?

Apologies, I would like to put a bass guitar, electric lead guitar, keyboard/synth, electro acoustic guitar through the mixer which then goes to Yamaha powered speakers.

I’m a singer so fine with mikes however no experience of anything else. I have been given this equipment so trying to fathom out how everything works. I don’t have guitar or keyboard amps and the focusrite addition was purely to explain that I can plug the instruments straight in, which I thought I could do with the mixer.

Any help with that would be amazing thank you.

I also want to ask about electric drums and do they plug in, never used before and don’t have yet, but maybe that would be better as a separate post?

All help gratefully appreciated!
punkyfish
Regular

Post by punkyfish »

shufflebeat wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:10 am Also - what's the acoustic guitar?

Probably this is or a fender strat, purely for finger picking accompaniment for a ballad.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-B ... -Burst/5K2

Thankyou
punkyfish
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Short answer: yes you can plug instruments into the line inputs of your mixer.

Longer, and more nuanced answer: Electronic sources — keyboards, synths, electronic drum kits etc — can be plugged straight into the line inputs of your mixer without problems.

You can also plug electric guitars and basses straight into the line inputs and you will get sound out. It may be low level, though, and the tonality will be different to the sound from a proper amp.

Part of that is related to the lower input impedance (a mixer line input is typically 10-50k Ohms, while an amp or dedicated DI input is typically 250-1000k Ohms). There's also a difference in frequency response since a mixer line input will be flat beyond 20kHz, while a guitar amp will roll off quite quickly above 5kHz. This is why 'cab emulation' is so popular.

Acoustic guitars are often equipped with piezo pickups which work best into an even higher impedance of 10M Ohms, but many have an onboard preamp which is usually happy feeding a mixer line output directly.

The usual solution to addressing the impedance mis-match and low-level compatibility problems with electric guitars and basses is to use DI boxes.

The guitar/bass plugs into the DI box which presents much the same high impedance as a normal amplifier. An isolated balanced output at mic level is connected to a mixer's mic input. The DI box's electronics are normally powered by phantom power from the mixer.

There are hundreds of different DI boxes on the market. Some are passive, but active designs are generally thought to be better. Some include filtering options to emulate the real-world speaker/cab roll-off.

Generally, you get what you pay for, with more expensive models being more robust, better sounding, and more feature-laden... but there are some real bargains to be found. For your kind of application I'm a big fan of the Orchid Micro DI.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/or ... s-di-boxes
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by ef37a »

Small point Hugh? Guitar amplifiers generally don't have a rapid roll off around 5kHz, most sustain HF to around 10-15kHz and then roll off gently.
Were this not the case there would be no need for emulation in load boxes or indeed the emulated outs fitted to some amps (cough!) in addition to the 'flat' FX send.

It is the guitar speaker that starts to give up at about 5-8k and is is pretty done by 12kHz. This filters out the 'fizz' of distorted guitar.

Yes, OP can plug pretty much anything 'line' level into his mixer. Might not sound too good but as I said, have a do with the EQ.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

ef37a wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:46 pm Small point Hugh? Guitar amplifiers generally don't have a rapid roll off around 5kHz.... It is the guitar speaker that starts to give up at about 5-8k and is is pretty done by 12kHz. This filters out the 'fizz' of distorted guitar.

I was using the term 'guitar amp' to refer to a typical complete combo setup delivering an audible output with which the OP would presumably be familiar and naturally compare to the direct (DI) sound through the mixer.

But I agree with your point about the frequency response of the electronics in isolation.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by ef37a »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:01 pm
ef37a wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:46 pm Small point Hugh? Guitar amplifiers generally don't have a rapid roll off around 5kHz.... It is the guitar speaker that starts to give up at about 5-8k and is is pretty done by 12kHz. This filters out the 'fizz' of distorted guitar.

I was using the term 'guitar amp' to refer to a typical complete combo setup delivering an audible output with which the OP would presumably be familiar and naturally compare to the direct (DI) sound through the mixer.

But I agree with your point about the frequency response of the electronics in isolation.

We have grokked.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster