How to connect an external mixer to an active PA with built-in mixer

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

How to connect an external mixer to an active PA with built-in mixer

Post by slidincharlie »

Hello! My first post here.
How do I connect an external passive mixer to an active PA made of a subwoofer with small built-in mixing console and associated satelllte?
I have been asked to deal with this setup at my next live gig, but the installation of the system is on me and I have no idea of the connections to be made.
External mixer is a Soundcraft EPM 8.
PA system is a Yamaha Stagepas 1K.
Many thanks in advance.
--Carlo
slidincharlie
New here

Re: How to connect an external mixer to an active PA with built-in mixer

Post by AlecSp »

The fact that you're having to ask this question, rather than quickly googling both devices and looking at their IO makes me wonder if you're out of your depth in general.

But, of course, you can connect both easily.

Simplest is to take a single XLR from the EPM's master outputs to the StagePas. Ignore the fact that you're just running one side, and keep everything mono.

There are other ways of connecting, but they'd need adapter cables.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster
Posts: 673 Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:00 am Location: Herts, UK

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Using a suitably long XLR-XLR cable, connect one of the EPM8 mix outputs (left/right) to one of the XLR inputs of the Stagepas system. Make sure all EPM8 mixer channel panpots are centred so you're sending a mono mix.

Start with the Stagepas volume turned down, select line input mode on the channel, and adjust the gain for the appropriate volume when you're sending a sensible level from the mixer.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39002 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by slidincharlie »

Thank you guys.
I googled a little bit but I preferred to ask a forum, since I am technically not very inclined and I like a direct reply better :) .
The Stagepas has got an XLR input meant to receive the signal from another Stagepas; according to the manual it can receive an external mixer.
Should I use one of the main (i.e., to speaker) XLR outputs from the EPM, or rather the mono Monitor output?
Specs from the user's manuals:
Yamaha XLR [LINK]input: 20 kOhm (input impedance), 150 Ohm (source impedance).
Soundcraft outputs: 75 Ohm.
slidincharlie
New here

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

slidincharlie wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:43 am The Stagepas has got an XLR input meant to receive the signal from another Stagepas; according to the manual it can receive an external mixer.

Yes, it's a balanced line input (+24dBu max) and it would work with the external mixer's main output perfectly well. It also bypasses the reverb and EQ gubbins, so there's less to worry about!

However, that input also bypasses the master volume control on the Stagepas, so you'd have to control the volume only from the mixer, primarily with the main faders.

If you're happy to work that way, fine. But given your inexperience it may be better to have the safety net of channel and master volume controls on the Stagepas, especially if its a relatively quiet gig.

Should I use one of the main (i.e., to speaker) XLR outputs from the EPM, or rather the mono Monitor output?

Main XLR output.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by slidincharlie »

Thank you Hugh.
Hugh Robjohns wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:16 pm However, that input also bypasses the master volume control on the Stagepas, so you'd have to control the volume only from the mixer, primarily with the main faders.
If you're happy to work that way, fine. But given your inexperience it may be better to have the safety net of channel and master volume controls on the Stagepas, especially if its a relatively quiet gig.

What is the alternative connection that I shoud use to get that "safety net"?
slidincharlie
New here

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

One of the first three standard mixer inputs. Set to Line.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by slidincharlie »

:thumbup:
Thanks a lot.
--Carlo
slidincharlie
New here

Post by Chondog »

Not sure if you are still dealing with this issue, but I have a Stagepas 1K and the best way to connect a mixer to it is through the ST (stereo inputs) channel. Take your mixer outs (1/4 in) to the ST 1/4 in inputs. Or, you could get cables that xlr to 1/4 if you want to use the xlr outs from your board. The Stagepas manual tells you that the best way to connect a mixer is to go from the board outs to the LINK input channel. DO NOT do this. The input signal is very low and it causes all sorts of volume issues on the mixer and the Stagepas. I hope this helps.
Chondog