Ampster or small tube amp or DSP or ……..

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Ampster or small tube amp or DSP or ……..

Post by IAA »

As you an tell I’m really sure of what to do! So in a nutshell I’m playing lots more guitar and am ready to record some overdubs to my forthcoming EP. But I’m not sure about which could sound most “authentic”.

Options might be,

Guitar direct to AI hi z input then Amplitude (for example) - got all this.
Guitar to Blackstar combo, and mic up with my Shure sm57 - got all this
Get something like the ampster to go between guitar and AI. - would buy

I’m after a strong crunch not too hi gain. Guitar is single coil predominately.

Any advice from the experts here would be much appreciated.

Ian
IAA
Frequent Poster

Re: Ampster or small tube amp or DSP or ……..

Post by ore_terra »

if authenticity is what you're after, there's nothing more authentic than an amp and a mic. That's the fact.

Now that you mention amplitube, I suggest you try ToneX. It integrates with Amplitube and sounds killer. it's based in real amp captures such as kemper and quad cortex, and it performs as good at them.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1067 Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 pm Location: Seville - Spain
casmoestudio.com

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Personally I'd always go for a mic'd amp if you can. The only thing I would caution is to dial in the amount of drive/distortion you want, then just back it off a touch.
It's easy to add a bit more crunch in but often what sounds right at the point of recording ends up being a bit much in the mix.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Aled Hughes »

Either and any will be an 'authentic' guitar sound, since it will be a guitar, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I'll second the Tonex recommendation, I think it sounds very good, and it's much quicker and more convenient than setting up and amp and a mic.

If you've already got an amp you like, then by all means use it, but a lot of software is free to try so it might be better to go down that route first?

As I alluded to in my opening sentence, I don't think using an amp is a more 'authentic' way of recording an electric guitar. It's just the way it used to be done. It's still valid, but it's not the only way. Moving away from real amps opens new possibilites for the instrument (though software such as Tonex exist mainly to replicate the 'old way' and the old sounds we're accustomed to - and that it does very well I think)
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1746 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by Kwackman »

I like S-Gear Scuffham amp sim.
I'm NOT an expert, but a couple of good players on this forum have praised it.
I think there's a free demo version.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by resistorman »

Not sure what "authentic" means, but why not record with what you have and see which you like better? Nobody can advise about that.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Stuart79 »

I would say experiment with what you have also. Either can sound good and your ears will be the best judge of what's right for you and your music.

The benefit of DI is that you have more flexibility to change the sound later if necessary. And domestic circumstances sometimes dictate that this is the most practical option. I like to go via the "Thru" output of a DI box to monitor via an amp while I'm playing as it feels better. I sometimes mic up the amp but as it's a domestic space this usually necessitates doing some temporary sound absorption with duvets above and either side of the mic. I'll often just go with DI for speed and use an amp sim later.

Paul White put together a podcast on this not long ago if I'm not mistaken.
Stuart79
Regular
Posts: 119 Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:00 am Location: Northampton, UK

Post by IAA »

That’s helpful, thanks all. I’ll try again to mic the current amp and test against DI and amp sims. I’ll hold off on the purchases till I try again. When I last tried to mic the guitar I was a bit underwhelmed at the results, but it was my first go at it so trying again might be worth a shot.

I'll second the Tonex recommendation, I think it sounds very good, and it's much quicker and more convenient than setting up and amp and a mic.

Yes I’d seen this but need to read a bit more about it. Given I’ve Amplitude it might make sense.

The only thing I would caution is to dial in the amount of drive/distortion you want, then just back it off a touch.
It's easy to add a bit more crunch in but often what sounds right at the point of recording ends up being a bit much in the mix.

. Hmm wonder whether this was part of the problem last time I tried, I definitely remember the sound as way too muddy on playback.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

I wouldn't (and don't) give two hoots for 'authenticity'. Listeners will not care how 'authentic' your guitar sound is either.

Just try your options and choose the one that sounds good to you.

On the previous album I used everything from a DI-ed 50p charity shop FX pedal to thousands of pounds-worth of amps/cabs and mic's. I guarantee that nobody knows, or cares, which one is which.

But always record a clean DI to give you options later...
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by IAA »

On the previous album I used everything from a 50p charity shop FX pedal to thousands of pounds-worth of amps/cabs and mic's. I guarantee that nobody knows, or cares, which one is which.

Blimey Mr Elf, next you’ll be telling me listeners can’t tell the difference between my lovely analog synths and my virtual collection! ;):headbang:

:D

But I know you’re right of course, it’s just I’d like to get that guitar sound that’s in my head, or more realistically on most of the work that Steve Hackett does!
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

IAA wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:37 amBut I know you’re right of course, it’s just I’d like to get that guitar sound that’s in my head, or more realistically on most of the work that Steve Hackett does!

Some of the stories I could tell...! A lot of pro's go for the pragmatic solution. ;)
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Matt Houghton »

blinddrew wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:55 pm Personally I'd always go for a mic'd amp if you can. The only thing I would caution is to dial in the amount of drive/distortion you want, then just back it off a touch.

Seconded! In the same vein, I'd suggest when setting up your amp/pedals that you don't scoop the mids out too much either.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by BigRedX »

"Authentic" is entirely subjective. What you want is sound that works with the other instruments in the arrangement/mix.

I own a very nice Hughes & Kettner all valve amp which like most H&K gear features a built-in Red Box speaker emulator. last time I did any serious guitar recording we mic'd up the speaker and ran a line from the Red Box output and recorded both. IIRC the Red Box sound won out marginally when placed in the mix.

If you already have an amp and speaker that you like the sound of, I would record that, but also take a DI directly from the guitar. That way if your recorded amp sound doesn't work in the final mix you'll have lots of post processing options as well as the fact that the the guitar performance will have benefitted from the interaction between the guitar and the amplification.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Ben Asaro »

I almost always record straight to the DAW with an amp sim and strive to get the best performance first. Then I’m in the cat-bird seat and can reamp the DI however I see fit. I personally don’t like playing guitarist and recording engineer at the same time, it’s much easier for me to sort out the playing first.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2364 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Sam Spoons »

I'd record the amp/57 to one track and a clean DI to a second track.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Essex Boi »

IAA wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:21 pm So in a nutshell I’m playing lots more guitar and am ready to record some overdubs to my forthcoming EP.

For overdubs I'd be aiming for something that replicates the sound of the track(s) I'm overdubbing. Previous answers have covered the options of how to record sounds you might like, but overdubs are going to stand out if they're too different to the sound of the original guitar tracks. That might be what you're going for, in which case it's an artistic choice.
Essex Boi
Poster
Posts: 75 Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:10 pm Location: Not the bit of Essex on the telly
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Post by The Elf »

Sam Spoons wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:52 pm ...to one track and a clean DI to a second track.

Always. It's not just about re-amping. It can be a huge help later down the line.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by jxnWHITE »

IAA wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:21 pm which could sound most “authentic”.

would read “authentic” as "unique" unless you're after a specific sound...

BigRedX wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:46 am Hughes & Kettner all valve amp which like most H&K gear features a built-in Red Box speaker emulator

our initial foray into manageable project recording and has always managed to sound just that little bit different here. small, inexpensive and "real"

Scuffham S-Gear

has been and remains the goto here since it came out for anything not hi gain.
the most "playable" of any amp sim imho = the best performance

IK Tonex

just now exploring this ecosystem for the few things we can't easily get in S-Gear, might have some promise, despite a frustrating UX ( preset, tone model management, too many poorly (user) captured tone models (so far), ToneNET crashing, lack of responsive support, etc.)
jxnWHITE
Poster

Post by sonics »

If you don't like AmpliTube, I've had great results from all of the following for mid-gain tones. (I don't get too hung up on guitar sounds if the guitarist is happy when playing the tracks!)

Line 6 Helix.
Plugin Alliance software (eg Chandler/Orange/Friedman/Fuchs amps)
...with the right cabinet IRs.
Line 6 Catalyst.
Boss Katana (!)

Lots of choice for great tones these days.

If you're the really picky guitarist type you might be happiest finding a small tube amp you really get on with.

I don't think Tonex is enough of an improvement over AmpliTube really, to my ears, but I haven't had a lot of spare time to play with it.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by ore_terra »

I don't think Tonex is enough of an improvement over AmpliTube really, to my ears, but I haven't had a lot of spare time to play with it.

Oh… it is. The captures change everything. That said, tonex will sound as good as the capture you’re using. I dont like most of the factory captures.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1067 Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 pm Location: Seville - Spain
casmoestudio.com