Active speaker with which mixer digital or analogue?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Active speaker with which mixer digital or analogue?

Post by Bob Bickerton »

I’d go as far to say an iPad would be an essential component for competent Touchmix operation.

Interesting that the Touchmix has been around for quite some years now and, as far I know, they haven’t yet upgraded the touch screen.

But it is a lovely piece of kit. I once recorded a live concert on the Touchmix (nice mics and neutral acoustics) which I was amplifying. The band reckoned the recording was better than the studio recording they’d just made which has cost them a fortune. Maybe it was something to do with the operator too though…….. :thumbup:

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5090 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by rocky11 »

Wonks wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:42 pm It's always a good idea to use monitors if you are using a PA. It makes it a lot easier to hear each other unless the PA is really quiet. If you are playing in a large room or hall, the reflected sound from the walls will normally come back a lot louder than the sound you are making on stage, and it's delayed by the time it takes for the sound to travel there and back (roughly 1 millisecond per foot or 3 milliseconds per metre). This can make it difficult to keep the timing tight, so having the sound come from monitors just a few feet away from you really helps.

It is not a good idea to use more than one set of main speakers pointing forwards. So whether you use the 15" or the 12" speakers with the subs, don't use the 15" and the 12" speakers together. You don't get much extra volume and because you have two tweeters on either side a distance apart, you get comb filtering as the high frequencies interact and the sound quality suffers.

The only time you might want to use the 12" and the 15" speakers together is if they are pointing in different directions e.g. if you are playing in the centre of a room which has significant width either side of the stage, and you have audience sitting to the sides. Then you'd use one set of speakers pointing forwards and the other set is used to cover the sides, with one pointing out to each side.

If using the 12" as monitors, set the preset EQ switch on the back to the monitor setting. This cuts out a lot of the low-end, which you'll get coming back from the main speaker and subs. This helps keep the sound on stage clearer, with less low frequency noise to cause feedback.

Thank you for information ☺️
rocky11
New here

Post by shufflebeat »

Bob Bickerton wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:15 am Maybe it was something to do with the operator too though…….. :thumbup:

Bob

Always the #1 vital ingredient in my not-so-humble opinion.

:)
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9103 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by rocky11 »

YAMAHA MG16X MIXER this one good ?
https://www.andertons.co.uk/yamaha-mg16x-mixer
rocky11
New here

Post by rocky11 »

Bob Bickerton wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:27 pm
rocky11 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:34 pm
resistorman wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:57 pm Touchmix is good, and has useful presets for novices.

Oh really ?? I think presets help me.

The TouchMix is a really good sounding mixer with lots of processing BUT an important factor is how you want to use it! Its user interface is poor compared to alternative digital mixers. It has no per-channel faders and its touchscreen is poor compared to what you’d find on an iPad.

For the inexperienced, I’d recommend a digital desk that follows a more traditional format, with physical faders per channel.

Check out the Allen and Heath QU-16, Behringer X32 it Presonus Studiolive 32.

Bob

Presonus Studiolive 16 is analogue mixeror powered mixer?
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/presonu ... r-with-usb
rocky11
New here

Post by Bob Bickerton »

rocky11 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:00 am
Presonus Studiolive 16 is analogue mixeror powered mixer?
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/presonu ... r-with-usb

OK. I don't mean to be rude, but from your responses in this thread you appear to lack a basic understanding of how mixers/sound systems work and with that (apparent) lack of knowledge this will surely end in tears! Sometimes it's better to be honest so as to be kind.

My sincere advice is to upskill before you make any further purchase decisions, and as a start, at least have a face to face session with a sound engineer who knows what he/she is doing.

Forums are OK for getting opinions on stuff you already have knowledge around, but are limited in terms of initial training and concepts. Please know we are trying to help, not be critical.

To answer the questions you raised in the last two posts:

The YAMAHA MG16X MIXER is a good UNPOWERED ANALOGUE mixer but has no front of house or monitoring processing and has LIMITED channels relative to what you currently require - your current set up WILL change!

The PRESONUS STUDIOLIVE 16 is a somewhat outdated (but functional) UNPOWERED DIGITAL mixer which (from memory) has front of house and monitoring processing, but you may find it's channel count of 12 mic inputs limited over time.

By UNPOWERED I mean these mixers do not include a power amp to drive PASSIVE speakers.

You have ACTIVE speakers (they have power amps built in), so either of these mixers will work.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5090 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by Murray B »

Bob's answer dropped just before mine..

Hi Rocky,

I think there might a little confusion regarding Analogue, Digital and Powered Mixers going on here.

The key bit is that with Active PA speakers (they have amplifiers built in) you don't need a mixer with an Amplifier in it as well - so you don't need a Powered Mixer.

How the audio signals are treated in the mixer defines whether it is Analogue or Digital.

You've suggested a couple of mixers, pretty much anything will do the job, so long as it's got enough inputs and outputs for you bands needs. With the line up that you have I'd be looking for at mixer with at least 16 channels with around 12 xlr inputs and at least 2 aux outputs to drive monitors

You might want to try hiring some analogue mixers and digital mixers and see how you get on with them before spending your hard earned cash. Digital mixers are truly remarkable with how much audio mixing power you get for your money, but they require a significant commitment in learning how to use them.
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 393 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire

Post by Wonks »

At the moment you have a requirement for six mic inputs and two stereo line inputs.

You currently have two speakers that can be used as monitors

The MG16X and the Presonus both have enough inputs for that, and allow some expansion capability.

At the moment, whilst a digital mixer does offer numerous benefits over an analogue one, I think you will be better off starting out with an analogue mixer. You simply don’t know enough yet to make use of a digital mixer. You’ll learn in time, but I’d start with analogue and then step up to digital. Even an analogue mixer has enough features to be confusing.

If you do decide to go digital, you will really struggle unless you know someone with mixing experience who can teach you what’s going on. Even then, having some basic experience on an analogue mixer will be very helpful.

So, do you know anyone who can help you?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.