Headphone wireless options?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Post by OneWorld »

Slightly off at a tangent, but I like to use headphones for most the time, except final mix. I don't like being tethered though, could anyone recommend a set of headphones that are wireless?

I have tried several now, consumer kit, but so far those I have tried have failed to pass muster, they always seem to drift in and out signal, they are inconsistent.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by resistorman »

OneWorld wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:16 am Slightly off at a tangent, but I like to use headphones for most the time, except final mix. I don't like being tethered though, could anyone recommend a set of headphones that are wireless?

I have tried several now, consumer kit, but so far those I have tried have failed to pass muster, they always seem to drift in and out signal, they are inconsistent.

Inconsistency, thy name is Bluetooth! Also Compromised Sound, and Latency :D
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2743 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by OneWorld »

resistorman wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:30 pm
OneWorld wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:16 am Slightly off at a tangent, but I like to use headphones for most the time, except final mix. I don't like being tethered though, could anyone recommend a set of headphones that are wireless?

So basically you’re saying no there aren’t any suitable wireless headphones?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Re: Headphone wireless options?

Post by zenguitar »

I've hived this off to a new topic in the correct forum for mixing etc.

It really was far more than a slight tangent.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12674 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by MarkOne »

Well, you say that but the latest 24 bit aptX bluetooth codec is lossless, and there are some aptX headphones out there from the usual suspects. I was mightily impressed by the B&W PX8. They seemed very open and uncoloured.

And if you are mixing with them why would latency be an issue?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2825 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by sonics »

You can use a BT transmitter and portable receiver to make any headphone wireless.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by RichardT »

Focal Bathys, if you have a big budget.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4404 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by OneWorld »

sonics wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:54 pm You can use a BT transmitter and portable receiver to make any headphone wireless.

A BT transmitter and a portable receiver? What’s BT? British Telecom? What does it plug into, an output on the DAW interface? Could you provide a link?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Wonks »

BT = Bluetooth.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

A quick search on amazon gives pages of them but a lot of trawling might be required to get something that's going to definitely use the most recent codecs.
I think you might still hit latency issues when mixing though, unlike latency caused by plugins or DAW processing, this will be included after the signal has left the DAW. So what you're seeing on the waveform won't align with what you're hearing.
Will that be a problem? Who knows! :)
Pressing a cheap pair of bluetooth headphones or a similar speaker might be able to answer that question before you go into any further expense.
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by adamburgess »

I have a pair of quite nice Sennheiser RF headphones. Take rechargeable AAA and have a stand to charge them.

Can't remember the model off hand (I do now) - but they're a good judge of 'consumer' cans, I guess?? Sound fine and coverage is good walking around the house.

Sennheiser RS120 II

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5662924

EDITED for link
adamburgess
Regular

Post by Wonks »

adamburgess wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:06 am I have a pair of quite nice Sennheiser RF headphones. Take rechargeable AAA and have a stand to charge them.

Sennheiser RS120 II

You have to go to the CE declaration to find the technical details but the transmitter and headphones operate in the Channel 70 band, so there should be no latency from a hardwired connection.

The 'II' indicates a version with additional Bluetooth receiving capability (compared to the original RS120) from the telly.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by OneWorld »

Hmmmm, thanks. I guess if they don't work out for messing about in Cubase I could just relegate them to being used watching telly, at the moment I have a long cable stretched from the telly to my lounging chair, and my usually fleet footed partner always trips over the cable, I have lost count of the number of times the jack plug has been yanked out the socket, we're lucky the telly hasn't been pulled off the tv unit. She tells me it's my fault, because she is as quick and dainty on her feet as a ballerina, I think to myself "well if that's the case how come yo keep tripping over the wire" I keep those thoughts to myself though, otherwise I'd get the cable wrapped around my throat!

Just bought a new keyboard for my PC. How come it's always the letters X, S, E seem to wear out before all the others?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by resistorman »

MarkOne wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:47 pm

Well, you say that but the latest 24 bit aptX bluetooth codec is lossless, and there are some aptX headphones out there from the usual suspects. I was mightily impressed by the B&W PX8. They seemed very open and uncoloured.

And if you are mixing with them why would latency be an issue?

Huh, I'm behind the times on the aptX codec, thanks for making me aware!

As for latency, the OP did state:

I like to use headphones for most the time, except final mix.

resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2743 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

If you want to a high quality reliable link without the potential limitations of Bluetooth, there's always UHF IEM technology as used daily on a stage near you...
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by adamburgess »

Wonks wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:31 am
adamburgess wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:06 am I have a pair of quite nice Sennheiser RF headphones. Take rechargeable AAA and have a stand to charge them.

Sennheiser RS120 II

You have to go to the CE declaration to find the technical details but the transmitter and headphones operate in the Channel 70 band, so there should be no latency from a hardwired connection.

The 'II' indicates a version with additional Bluetooth receiving capability (compared to the original RS120) from the telly.

I'm almost sure mine are the mk II, but they're definitely not Bluetooth. Could be wrong. But, being old fashioned radio, it's true there's no latency.
adamburgess
Regular

Post by Wonks »

No, not Bluetooth. I was misled by the erroneous Argos page for them which says they do have, https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5662924, but it's not mentioned in the Sennheiser instructions for them.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.