Yamaha 01v96 v2 channels 9-16 wont turn on

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Yamaha 01v96 v2 channels 9-16 wont turn on

Post by Kwackman »

drickner wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:55 pmDo I have some sort of hardware issue?

From that photo, you might have.
I'd a couple of other ideas, but resetting the desk would have blown them away, and that half lit LED isn't something I've seen on any Yamaha desk I've worked on.
Hopefully Hugh might have an "Aha!" moment.

I still like the Yamaha 01V96 (I spent a lot of time on the original 02R, the later 02R96, the DM2000 and a 01V96- never got to use a DM1000 to complete the set!)
I hope you get sorted.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3206 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by AlecSp »

drickner wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:55 pm Pressing the ON button doesn't do anything, however I can turn them on/off via the menu.

[Image link fixed] That definitely looks like a hardware fault. Either a faulty switch, or board, or an internal connection.

drickner wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:55 pm Do I have some sort of hardware issue? If that is the case, maybe I can just return this thing where I got it and get a different one.

Definitely - if sold as fully working, it isn't.

I'll suggest again, try and get a more user-friendly (and less aged) mixer. Even if you have to pay more, you're unlikely to regret it.

Kwackman wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:40 pm I'd a couple of other ideas, but resetting the desk would have blown them away, and that half lit LED isn't something I've seen on any Yamaha desk I've worked on.
Hopefully Hugh might have an "Aha!" moment.

No doubt in my mind that it's faulty.
And, remember, he'd done a reset before the original post, so there's been a lot of rather pointless dancing around here.

Kwackman wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:40 pmI still like the Yamaha 01V96 (I spent a lot of time on the original 02R, the later 02R96, the DM2000 and a 01V96- never got to use a DM1000 to complete the set!)

You're a masochist!
These desks were great in their day. But a 20 year old design with a dreadful interface, and no easy remote control (I can't count Studio Manager) really doesn't cut it today. Even Yamaha's legendary build quality can't beat Father Time.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster
Posts: 669 Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:00 am Location: Herts, UK

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Kwackman wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:40 pmHopefully Hugh might have an "Aha!" moment.

No. It looks increasingly like a faulty desk. I'm not surprised, these things are pretty elderly now.

I have, and still use a DM1000, but a few years back several faders decided not to work and it turned out the driver circuitry had packed up. It needed lots of new driver transistors and many pound notes...

In its day it was s lot of desk for the money, and it's still a very capable desk... but rather antiquated in its operating system and user interface. When it starts failing again it will be retired.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38831 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by drickner »

thanks for all the help. I've contact the seller on Reverb and hopefully we can get it sent back and a refund.

Other consoles I've looked at are the Tascam Model 12 or 24, soundcraft SI series. 90% of the time, I'm doing small live events, but there are a few times where I want to do 12-16 track recording. We have AH SQ6 at the church, but I can't afford one of those for myself.
drickner
Poster

Post by AlecSp »

drickner wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:40 pm Other consoles I've looked at are the Tascam Model 12 or 24, soundcraft SI series. 90% of the time, I'm doing small live events, but there are a few times where I want to do 12-16 track recording. We have AH SQ6 at the church, but I can't afford one of those for myself.

Those Tascams are just analog desks with audio interfaces - none of the benefits of a digital desk.
Soundcraft Si will feel quite a letdown compared with the SQ you're used to.

I've said elsewhere that it's really between X/M32 and SQ for desks with a surface in the sub £10,000 market these days.

However, if you're out doing live events on a budget, I'd now be mixing on glass with a stagebox mixer every time. With what you lose with having no physical controls, you gain in reduced kit, not having to run a multicore (or even cat5), and not needing dedicated FOH space - all of this counts for a lot in many events. It feels scary at first, and you need to be network literate, but the benefits soon outweigh the drawbacks. I spent years feeling I was fighting with my 01v96 but, the day I got my XR18, everything fell into place.

There's a much wider choice of these but, for the budget conscious, and your channel count, it's really between XR18 and UI24R. You'll hear arguments either way, but it really is swings and roundabouts - they both do a cracking job on a budget - as well as shrinking the pack size hugely. Try out the software for both (Mixing Station works on both, and UI has a web-based interface that's like Marmite). Just make sure you use an external router/access point (the internal routers in all these mixers will let you down at the worst times)
AlecSp
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWorld »

I had the 01v96 way back when and really liked it, especially as there was the remote layer. Anyway I sold it when I decided to go in the box. Some time ago I was offered a 01v96i for a real bargain price, and sort of hanker after another 01v96 because they sell quite cheap, but they are getting quite old now. If I ever got another mixer, it would be a contemporary model, they are very complex and when they get old are difficult to get fixed. I don’t think I would pay more than £200 for one in working condition, and even then it would just end up as something to mess around with
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by drickner »

I'm not opposed to an analog with interface, that's why I thought about the tascam. I was really trying to get much better quality by going a few year old and getting a 'real' console. I still have the old GL3800 x 48 in the closet, but my wife is refusing to help me get it out the closet any more :crazy: so I was trying to downsize and be at 12 - 16 channels.

Maybe a soundcraft GB series would be better for me? Not being able to multi-track record isn't a huge deal breaker for me right now. Like I said earlier, I rarely do that. In fact, it's been 5 years since that has happened. Now I'm just thinking out loud.
drickner
Poster

Post by OneWorld »

drickner wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:21 pm I'm not opposed to an analog with interface, that's why I thought about the tascam. I was really trying to get much better quality by going a few year old and getting a 'real' console. I still have the old GL3800 x 48 in the closet, but my wife is refusing to help me get it out the closet any more :crazy: so I was trying to downsize and be at 12 - 16 channels.

Maybe a soundcraft GB series would be better for me? Not being able to multi-track record isn't a huge deal breaker for me right now. Like I said earlier, I rarely do that. In fact, it's been 5 years since that has happened. Now I'm just thinking out loud.

I had the TASCAM Model 24, it had to be returned, it went wrong, I got my money back
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by AlecSp »

drickner wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:21 pm I'm not opposed to an analog with interface, that's why I thought about the tascam. I was really trying to get much better quality by going a few year old and getting a 'real' console. I still have the old GL3800 x 48 in the closet, but my wife is refusing to help me get it out the closet any more :crazy: so I was trying to downsize and be at 12 - 16 channels.

While small live setups used to thrive on desks like this, they're so limiting compared with even the most basic digital mixer. While I don't know what live work you expect to do, being limited to 2 monitor outputs wouldn't cut it in most places these days. Not to mention the lack of proper dynamics/EQ/effects, etc. And then there's the analogue snake.

Nothing wrong with the old GL3800 in its day, but I bet it needs some care and attention these days. Don't forget the rack of outboard to make it usable, the massive flight case, and the two+ man lift. My little stagebox mixer is smaller and lighter than a GL3800 power supply...

We had our first "analog only" act in a few months back. It was rather tragic to see how much kit they needed, how long it took them to load-in and rig it. And then to debug problems in the snake and some of the outboard. Even though I knew ages ago, that cemented that I'm never going back to the dark side...
AlecSp
Frequent Poster

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

drickner wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:21 pm I still have the old GL3800 x 48 in the closet

That's the most reliable analogue desk of recentish times that I've used. There's a GL2400 still in use at work after 14 years, not even a scratchy pot. Friend of mine just bought a smaller version used, same condition. In fairness, we've just retired a PM5000 and it's still fully functional, it must be twenty years old? Whereas the 02R96 and the 01V did not age well.

Are you against the Midas M32? There's a reason it's omnipresent...
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2552 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by Mike Stranks »

Let's cut to the chase, OP! :)

What's your maximum budget?

I used to inhabit the 'live plus sometimes multitrack' world, so still know my way around that reasonably well...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by drickner »

My budget is around $800 or so, 12 - 16 channels, and I don't need a road case right away. I think I would rather get something a few years old than one of the new small format consoles. I am not interested in an X32. I have had too much bad experience with that brand in the past.

I'm looking at Tascam, Soundcraft, etc. The SQ I'm used to is just too far out of my price range, and the AH Zed we had didn't last very long.

I really wish I had bought the Midas Venice I saw several years ago, but at the time I wasn't needing it for anything. lol.

FYI, I've contacted the seller of the Yamaha, and I'm trying to get it returned.
drickner
Poster