Yamaha CK series?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Yamaha CK series?

Post by Arpangel »

These could be the answer to my keyboard decision, looks a bit like a full size version of the mini/CS series, also look easy to understand, definitely going to check these out.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-ck88-s ... gLuNfD_BwE
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Yamaha CK series?

Post by Wonks »

I listened to the Yamaha video for it and it sounded like pure cheese. 90s ROMpler demo track stuff. Hopefully it sounds better in reality.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Arpangel »

Wonks wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:17 am I listened to the Yamaha video for it and it sounded like pure cheese. 90s ROMpler demo track stuff. Hopefully it sounds better in reality.

Apparently got the electric piano sounds from the CP etc etc, that’s got to be good.
Also, I’m after standard strings brass, samples etc, I’m not averse to a bit of cheese served up on an 88 note keyboard.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by IAA »

I had a CP5 some years ago. The sounds were ok, no better or worse than it’s competitors but it was the action that sold it. Not sure if the CK 88 is the same keybed. Well worth trying.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

IAA wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:35 am I had a CP5 some years ago. The sounds were ok, no better or worse than it’s competitors but it was the action that sold it. Not sure if the CK 88 is the same keybed. Well worth trying.

Yes, I’m almost on the edge of pre-ordering this, on spec, because, it looks, very straightforward, seems to have all the sounds I need, plus the 88 keyboard, for a very reasonable price, if it works, it could be stiff competition for the current expensive stage keyboards, obviously it’s no Montage, they wouldn’t want that anyway, but then again, I don’t need that complexity either.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

OMG!
It gets better, it’s even got BUILT IN SPEAKERS! and, it runs on batteries, even the 88!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by resistorman »

This pretty much ticks all your request sheet boxes :bouncy:

I'm sure you saw this, but a nice demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-2XBBEvpPI
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2692 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Arpangel »

The "Analogue piano pad" is just like my Triton used to be, that’s a clincher.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by sonics »

Arpangel wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:25 am Apparently got the electric piano sounds from the CP etc etc, that’s got to be good.

I watched a few videos (it was released only two days ago, so there are lots of them - isn't YT wonderful ;) ) since I may be looking for a new stage piano fairly soon. The horrible organs made it a no for me. I'm not sure if the EP sounds are the same as the YC which I liked, but I'd be very careful. Play before buying (as usual).
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1638 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by bonefixer »

resistorman wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:43 pm This pretty much ticks all your request sheet boxes :bouncy:

Nice demo indeed. But he did switch from the 88 to the 61 for the organ demos. Which in my mind summarises the fundamental issue of having an all-in-one board - you sometimes want a weighted piano, you sometimes want an organ/synth feel. I went away from one board for this very reason, and now have a YC61 on top of a CP88.
bonefixer
Poster
Posts: 70 Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:08 pm Location: Isle of Man
Gear: Loads of guitars, Line 6 Helix, Yamaha THR30 amp
Bechstein 1932 5’3” Grand Piano, Yamaha CP88, Yamaha YC61, Nord Wave2, Korg Opsix, Arturia KeyLab88, MacBook Pro, Mainstage, MAudio and Presonus interfaces, Behringer XAir mixer…

Post by Arpangel »

bonefixer wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:07 am
resistorman wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:43 pm This pretty much ticks all your request sheet boxes :bouncy:

Nice demo indeed. But he did switch from the 88 to the 61 for the organ demos. Which in my mind summarises the fundamental issue of having an all-in-one board - you sometimes want a weighted piano, you sometimes want an organ/synth feel. I went away from one board for this very reason, and now have a YC61 on top of a CP88.

I’m not sure about this CK, also I tried a YC61 and the build on that I thought was awful, the keys were sloppy, and it just felt cheap, but you just don’t get much for your money these days "in terms of build quality" compared with years ago.

PS

All I want is a decent case, it has to be all metal construction, I don’t even care if it’s not painted, I don’t want fancy graphics, loads of lights, that aren’t necessary, OK, a bit of wood is nice, but no, not necessary, fancy knobs and designer switches, no no no, all this costs money don’t forget, and you are paying for it, it’s not doing you any favours, it’s all for the manufacturer, to lure you into the sweet shop.
And please, the best possible keyboard, sometimes I think they forget they are actually making what is primarily a "keyboard" instrument.
I’m all for the military aesthetic, nothing is there apart from what is needed to do the job, in the most efficient and cost effective way.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by sonics »

I'm not sure what you're after anymore :)
Was it weighted keyboard, full 88 notes, on-board sounds? Or something else?

It strikes me that there is so much choice in the market now that there must be something to suit you. I agree about the keyboard quality going down, however. Most keyboards used to be sold to keyboard players. Now they are sold to everyone who makes music using a keyboard, which is quite another thing.
sonics
Frequent Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

sonics wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:09 pm I'm not sure what you're after anymore :)

Well.... original spec was...

My thought is to replace the Berry with a compact synth keyboard, that can also act as a controller for the computer, it needs to transmit knob data, I don’t have a dedicated full size hardware keyboard that has sounds on board, and I really miss it, I like to work that way if possible.

So I’m trying to combine a hardware synth, 5 octaves, but hopefully fairly compact, with a controller source, I’ve thought of a couple of things, I need basics like Rhodes, samples etc, and some sort of synthesis ability.
I don’t want to spend too much

Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39013 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Arpangel »

sonics wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:09 pm I'm not sure what you're after anymore :)
Was it weighted keyboard, full 88 notes, on-board sounds? Or something else?

It strikes me that there is so much choice in the market now that there must be something to suit you. I agree about the keyboard quality going down, however. Most keyboards used to be sold to keyboard players. Now they are sold to everyone who makes music using a keyboard, which is quite another thing.

Years ago I used my DX7 as a master keyboard, as did a lot of people, because of its excellent feeling keyboard, it was also my main sound source, and I had a little Korg Nano Control for Midi stuff, all perfect.
I’m looking for a similar set-up, but with a controller included on the keyboard, but, thinking about it, that’s not essential, I could use a separate box.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by MarkOne »

In that case…

Here’s the very thing for you :thumbup:

(FWIW, I agree about the DX7 keybed, it was ‘just right’ That and the D50 put pretty much everything on the market today to shame)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Arpangel »

MarkOne wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:05 am In that case…

Here’s the very thing for you :thumbup:

(FWIW, I agree about the DX7 keybed, it was ‘just right’ That and the D50 put pretty much everything on the market today to shame)

He’s fibbing, or it’s a genuine mistake who knows, but it’s not a DX7, it’s a DX21, completely different thing.
I don’t want another DX7, I tried that, they are getting old now, parts etc, I had terrible trouble with my last one.
There’s always a catch, I’d like that Roland Jupiter X, but it’s way too big, and too complicated, the MO-DX is sort of close, but the build puts me off, I’ll get something, just have to take my time.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by sonics »

Arturia KeyLab 61 MkII would probably fit the bill.
sonics
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

I'm going to say 'Kurzweil' then walk away from this thread... :beamup:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20040 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Wonks wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:17 am90s ROMpler demo track stuff. Hopefully it sounds better in reality.

Not to divert or derail but I have a lot of time for 90s romplers as instruments. The demos were often undeniably cheesy though :-)

There were exceptions. I consider a Korg Trinity demo by Stephen Kay (in 1995) called The Sorcerer to be one of the best factory demos of all time.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8844 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Eddy Deegan »

The Elf wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:06 pm I'm going to say 'Kurzweil' then walk away from this thread... :beamup:

I'd be completely on board with you when it comes to the capability but when it comes to the usability I think they need to work on that aspect.

I love the sounds in my K2700 but I'd struggle to recommend it to anyone wanting a workstation because the user interface is terrible... to the point I've written its sequencer off altogether. I speak as a fan of workstation sequencers :lol:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8844 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects