Cubase and upgrade from Halion 3 SE to Halion 7

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Cubase and upgrade from Halion 3 SE to Halion 7

Post by forumuser653351 »

Hello
I’m a long time Logic user thinking of getting Cubase - I’ve not used it for many years and felt like trying it out again.
I’ve downloaded the trial and I’m quite getting into it and with the current cross grade option I feel like going for it.
But, I had a bit of a shock! It looks like you can’t upgrade from the SE versions that come with Cubase to the full versions of Groove Agent 5 and Halion 7.
Groove Agent 5 seems OK but I’m not convinced that upgrading to the full version is necessary for me. I just want an 808 kit (got that in Sitala which I love), some realistic jazz drums and world/ethnic percussion (I’ll post another question on that later).
I’ve downloaded the trial of Halion 7 and I’m really liking it so far, particularly the FM lab and the envelops that can multiple points in them, not just the usual ADSR. I might want Halion 7 for just those 2 things alone! But it seems a bit pricy and strange that you can’t upgrade from the SE versions in Cubase.
Question for Cubase users - do you feel it’s worth getting the full versions of Groove Agent 5 and Halion 7 or do you use other 3rd party drum and sound libraries?
Question for Halion FM lab alternatives - is FM lab actually good compared to the alternatives, and what are the alternatives?
forumuser653351
Regular

Re: Cubase and upgrade from Halion 3 SE to Halion 7

Post by sonics »

That's a big topic, and a very subjective one.

I like HALion, but it does have competition. There are many great multi-libraries available now for around the same price of HALion, too many to list, really.

I think NI Kontakt is good value. It includes an excellent and large factory library, and opens up the possibility of third-party libraries as well.

For drums I'd look at Toontrack, Addictive Drums or Slate.

FM synth - there are lots! I still use NI's FM8 a lot, but I think it's been discontinued.
Dozens of synths now include FM generation.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1583 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by OneWorld »

I bought into Steinberg many years ago, a decision part prompted by the fact my Yamaha keyboard integrated so well.

I bought Groove Agent without realising Groove Agent SE came with Cubase DUH! And I got along fine with Halion Sonic, which I am sure came along with Cubase. However I bought Both full versions of GA and Halion when Steinberg came along with one of their occasional 50% off offers, I think I got GA4 for about £40 bargain!

Strangely, I find the full version of Halion uses less CPU than Halion Sonic, and even though I have the full version of GA, I tend to use GA SE, it is perfectly adequate, though I have modest needs. The library is quite extensive.

I also have Kontakt, but I simply cannot get on with the interface, and trying to figure out the output routing is beyond me, it is so unintuitive - note to NI, get it sorted will you, please, Halion, GA are so easy to configure
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated :)
I've been playing around some more with Cubase and definitely going to get it. I'm enjoying the workflow and GUI and having a fresh approach with something new is nice.
Not going to upgrade to Groove Agent 5 as from what I can tell it's not needed for me but I will look into some of the expansion packs for jazz drums and percussion.
Interesting to know that there are occasional sales on Halion. I am really liking it so will wait out for a sale.
forumuser653351
Regular

forumuser653351 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:06 pm But, I had a bit of a shock! It looks like you can’t upgrade from the SE versions that come with Cubase to the full versions of Groove Agent 5 and Halion 7.

Just realised this may not make sense, what I mean is that in order to upgrade to the full versions you have to pay the full price, there doesn't seem to be a reduced upgrade price.
forumuser653351
Regular

Post by The Elf »

OneWorld wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:10 pm I also have Kontakt, but I simply cannot get on with the interface, and trying to figure out the output routing is beyond me, it is so unintuitive - note to NI, get it sorted will you, please, Halion, GA are so easy to configure

Agreed, but it's worth getting to grips with it. It is light years ahead of the competition, love it or loathe it.

I almost have to re-learn how to set up the outputs each time I come around to it, but once you set it up you can save the result as the default.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19940 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by OneWorld »

forumuser653351 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:37 am
forumuser653351 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:06 pm But, I had a bit of a shock! It looks like you can’t upgrade from the SE versions that come with Cubase to the full versions of Groove Agent 5 and Halion 7.

Just realised this may not make sense, what I mean is that in order to upgrade to the full versions you have to pay the full price, there doesn't seem to be a reduced upgrade price.

Yes there are reductions on the prices of upgrades as well, and in my humble opinion quite generous reductions, in the order of 50%

Cubase comes with a mountain of content that GA SE and the various baby Halions can use, it is just that you don't get as many editing options as you would with the full Halion
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

The Elf wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:40 am
OneWorld wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:10 pm I also have Kontakt, but I simply cannot get on with the interface, and trying to figure out the output routing is beyond me, it is so unintuitive - note to NI, get it sorted will you, please, Halion, GA are so easy to configure

Agreed, but it's worth getting to grips with it. It is light years ahead of the competition, love it or loathe it.

I almost have to re-learn how to set up the outputs each time I come around to it, but once you set it up you can save the result as the default.

Yes well that was my plan, have a saved template. But I once upgraded Kontakt by way of buying Komplete and I thought all I need do is make a note of where my existing Kontakt content is, install the new version that came with Komplete and off I go, but nope, wouldn't have it. After installing all the pile of DVDs that came with Komplete, I didn't have it in me to then faff about trying to fix the issue and thought, OH well, at least the instruments in my various templates will be loaded, so it is no big deal to reconfig the outputs.

In my defence I am not a champion numpty, but did get the runner up prize LOL and the set up of the outputs does make sense to me, it is just after I have set the links and selected the various outputs and I press 'OK' I close down, re-open and it's gone back to the factory setting.

I'll figure it out one of these days. I know it used to work
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

Happy to help, mate. We could do a screen share some time. You know where I am. :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19940 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by OneWorld »

The Elf wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:01 pm Happy to help, mate. We could do a screen share some time. You know where I am. :thumbup:

Thanks so much for the offer. Will keep that in mind :thumbup:
OneWorld
Jedi Poster