Powering a MEMS Mic For a Wired IEM

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Powering a MEMS Mic For a Wired IEM

Post by AdrianW »

I often play unplugged (guitar and vocal) in some less than optimal rooms. Because of some hearing loss I've had difficulty hearing myself in those situations. As a solution I've wired and attached a small MEMS microphone overhanging the upper bout of the guitar and used it to monitor myself on a single mono earbud. It works quite well, picking up both guitar and vocal. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/18011 Unlike an electret mic these do NOT require bias plug-in voltage, running on 3v directly to a terminal on the board.

Currently, I'm amplifying the signal with devices intended for mics that use plug-in power, either with a player/recorder (in this case an old minidisc or a Zoom H2n) or a chain running to an electret mic battery box and then to a Behringer P2 headphone amp. While these seem to work they still provide bias voltage. The signal is very hot and requires minimum gain. The battery box is nothing but a resister with a capacitor. The bias voltage and audio share the same line, with the voltage filtered out by the capacitor on output to the amp. My question, I guess, is if this bias voltage to a mic that doesn't need it is a problem or if there is a simple modification I can make to the battery box to block it? Is it as simple as flipping the capacitor? Thanks.
AdrianW
Poster

Re: Powering a MEMS Mic For a Wired IEM

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

You'll need to check the specs for your specific MEMS capsule, but most of the ones I've seen have a built-in output driver, with the output being internally biased to around half the vcc supply voltage (ie. 1.5V).

So normally the output would be taken through a DC block capacitor of a 1 to 50uF (the exact value depending on the output impedance and required LF corner frequency.

In a standalone design you'd put the +ve side of the cap to the MEMS, with the output feeding a buffer opamp or unbalanced mic pre but, in your case with plug-in power on the output line, you should really use either a non-polarised cap, or two caps back to back (-ve to -ve) with a grounding resistor in the middle.... remembering that the total capacitance of a series pair is half of each cap value.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39667 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Powering a MEMS Mic For a Wired IEM

Post by AdrianW »

Thank you for this.
AdrianW
Poster