Cómica BoomX-U QUA & PC

Discuss the hardware/software tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Cómica BoomX-U QUA & PC

Post by cyruspy »

Hello!,

I'm about to purchase a Cómica BoomX-U QUA for mixed sessions (online via MS Teams & on site with around 20 people).

The idea is to have a persona presenting and 3 mics moving around in the case there are questions from the people on site.

I see there's a MIC out option with merges the audio from the 4 mics, but there are several reports of bad audio quality. The receiving unit doesn't have an embedded digital output through USB-C.

What would be the best alternative to have good audio, optionally having one mic per channel?
cyruspy
New here

Re: Cómica BoomX-U QUA & PC

Post by resistorman »

I would use a mixer with USB outs into the PC and standard wireless systems. Handheld mics are much better for audience QA, and you may only need one or two for twenty people. If you're also feeding a PA system, I'd recommend an all digital mixer like the XR18.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2743 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Mike Stranks »

Welcome!

I don't know where you're based, but if in the UK you need to know that it is illegal to use that product here.

It uses frequencies that are not permitted to be used in the UK. If not in the UK, you'll need to check your local situation.

And as for what you want to do, this isn't really the right tool for the job. 'Resistorman' has given you helpful advice.

Do come back if you would like more ideas on how best to achieve what you want to do.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by cyruspy »

Thanks, there are some handheld adapters for it. Probably could go with the 2 channel model and save some bucks.

I see you mention it may not be the right tool for the job. What would you recommend in that case?.
cyruspy
New here

Post by Mike Stranks »

Do you need to amplify the voices in the room?

So the people taking part via MS-Teams have any input, such as the ability to ask questions? Or are they simply passive observers?

Is this just audio, or this there a video element too? If so, details would be helpful - eg, how many cameras, how are they linked into the 'cast/
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by cyruspy »

Regarding video, there's a single external webcam pointing at the presenter for the remote people to see the presentation. Projector also showcases the presentation content for the on site people.

People on teams can be presenters or attendance making questions to people in the room.
cyruspy
New here

Post by resistorman »

cyruspy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:15 pm Thanks, there are some handheld adapters for it. Probably could go with the 2 channel model and save some bucks.

OK, how will it go into the PC?
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2743 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by cyruspy »

That was what I was trying to solve with my initial post :geek:
cyruspy
New here

Post by Mike Stranks »

I hope the following illustration will help. This is a scenario I'm often involved in.

You connect your combination of mics (wireless or wired, handheld or clip-on) to an audio mixer.

The mixer outs can feed a video camera - connecting via the mic in. (Doing it this way ensures that the picture and sound always remains in sync)

The camera HDMI out goes through an HDMI-USB converter (widely available) and then into the laptop where you have a single USB feed of both audio and video.

Of course, this solution requires a camera that has a mic input and an HDMI output!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by cyruspy »

So mixer it is. Thanks!
cyruspy
New here

Post by Mike Stranks »

Just looking again at this...

Just be aware that the main outputs of a mixer will probably be too strong for the mic input of a camera. You can either put a simple attenuator (say 40dB) between the mixer and the camera, or use the headphone output and use the headphone volume control to ensure you don't overload the mic input. (I use this latter technique week-in, week-out for a simple vid I make)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster