PC upgrade for Cubase Pro 12

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

PC upgrade for Cubase Pro 12

Post by mick.n »

My present system (self build in 2011) is

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.70 GHz ("Sandy bridge" IIRC)

ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series Graphics

8 GB ram @ 1600MHz
Given the age of this system, would it be worthwhile increasing the ram & the graphics card?

This system has never missed a beat & easily handled every audio project (Cubase)
I am currently running Cubase 6.5, but now there is a sale i can upgrade to Cubase Pro 12 for just over £100.

Would it be worth upgrading this pc or maybe time to build a complete new system?
mick.n
Frequent Poster
Posts: 989 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: It's grim up north.

Re: PC upgrade for Cubase Pro 12

Post by The Elf »

I see no reason that kind of spec would struggle with Cubase 12. I'd go Windows 11 while you're at it, just to stretch its life out a bit further into the future.

Boy, are you going to notice a few changes in Cubase!! :headbang::lol:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20285 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by James Perrett »

The Elf wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:25 pm I'd go Windows 11 while you're at it, just to stretch its life out a bit further into the future.

Is there some secret way to get something that old to run Windows 11?
James Perrett
Posts: 14606 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by The Elf »

James Perrett wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:21 pm
The Elf wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:25 pm I'd go Windows 11 while you're at it, just to stretch its life out a bit further into the future.

It can't be that old. It's an i7. Or am I missing something?

But yes, there is a way. It's a fairly open secret and there are oodles of guides and videos on how to do it.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by James Perrett »

The Elf wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:44 pm
James Perrett wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:21 pm

But yes, there is a way. It's a fairly open secret and there are oodles of guides and videos on how to do it.

It is around 10-11 years old. I'm interested because it is the same generation processor that I use (which has always worked with anything audio/video related that I've tried on it).
James Perrett
Posts: 14606 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by OneWorld »

I kept C6.5 on my system for a long time after going up step by step to the latest version and for some time continued to use C6.5, convincing myself it was quicker.

That was my perception, it was quicker, because I was more familiar with the layout etc. But after being seduced by the extra facilities/functions in the later versions I soon found the later versions just as quick, if not quicker.

The latest version of Cubase should run easily on your system, although I might feel inclined to say 16 gig of RAM would be more realistic. And use SSDs where you can
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by S.Crow »

mick.n wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:53 pm Given the age of this system, would it be worthwhile increasing the ram & the graphics card?

This system has never missed a beat & easily handled every audio project (Cubase)
I am currently running Cubase 6.5, but now there is a sale i can upgrade to Cubase Pro 12 for just over £100.

Would it be worth upgrading this pc or maybe time to build a complete new system?

I can't guess how much more demanding version 12 is over 6.5.
It will also of course depend on your specific workflow.

If you are keen to upgrade to 12 anyway even if it requires a new PC build, then go for it.
Then see how you get on and consider adding more RAM if performance lags noticeably.

8GB does seem tight but if it works for your workflow, then all is good.
Adding another 8GB is inexpensive.
See here for one example:
https://uk.webuy.com/search?categoryIds ... op-240-pin

DAWs and plugins have been getting more graphic intensive, so that could be an issue.
That should be easy to spot and an upgrade not too expensive.
S.Crow
Regular

Post by Matt Houghton »

i7s have been around for a very long time! Don't know about this one, but there are some i7 motherboards that aren't even compatible with mid/late versions of Windows 10 (I type from bitter experience!). I wouldn't try updating to W11 without checking that both Mobo and CPU are supported.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by OneWorld »

Matt Houghton wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:01 pm

i7s have been around for a very long time! Don't know about this one, but there are some i7 motherboards that aren't even compatible with mid/late versions of Windows 10 (I type from bitter experience!). I wouldn't try updating to W11 without checking that both Mobo and CPU are supported.

Win11 won't let you update unless the hardware is up to it. Although there are workarounds, lots of them on the internet. How well they work though who knows, and whether updates would work or not I don't know
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by jjlonbass »

The Core i7 name was first used for the higher end of the Nehalem range of 45nm processors released at the end of 2008.

John
jjlonbass
Regular
Posts: 109 Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:52 pm Location: Ware, Hertfordshire UK

Post by FrankRaz »

"It can't be that old. It's an i7. Or am I missing something?"

I don't know about the workarounds but I've got a few old PC's knocking about and Win 11 will not officially install on my 6th gen Skylake i7 or anything earlier.
FrankRaz
Poster

Post by The Elf »

FrankRaz wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:28 am "It can't be that old. It's an i7. Or am I missing something?"

I don't know about the workarounds but I've got a few old PC's knocking about and Win 11 will not officially install on my 6th gen Skylake i7 or anything earlier.

As I said previously, there are 'unofficial' ways...

Installing Win 11 isn't a legal requirement. I just suggested it as a way to help extend the life of this PC. :lol:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by mick.n »

Thank you for the responses & apologies for my late reply.

I upgraded my Cubase 6.5.5 to 12 Pro. The activation procedure is a bit arcane but managed (somehow) to get it activated.

@Elf, i see what you mean about V12 compared to 6.5!!. I just stared at the project main window for 10 minutes wondering what i had got myself into. :headbang:

Onwards & upwards. :)

Thanks again all.
mick.n
Frequent Poster
Posts: 989 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: It's grim up north.