Recording drums to tape via Mackie VLX1024 pro

Discuss the hardware/software tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recording drums to tape via Mackie VLX1024 pro

Post by Guitarking »

Hello everyone!

I'd like to record my life drumkit with 4 mics (2x OH, kick, snare) into my Revox tape machine. I have a mackie VLZ pro 1024 mixer that I can use for mic inputs. I've learned on this forum that one can dodge the eq section by using the channel inserts on the back (??). But how to do this when I have 4 mics going into 2 inputs at the REvox?

Thanks!
Guitarking
Regular

Re: Recording drums to tape via Mackie VLX1024 pro

Post by Philbo King »

If you are recording to 2 track tape, the logical choice would be to set the EQ controls flat and use the L/R output of the mixer to feed the stereo into the tape machine.

The drawback is you need to nail the drum mix before hitting record since the mix will be 'baked'
onto the tape.
Philbo King
Regular

Post by Wonks »

Can you double check your mixer’s name, as I’m not getting any hits when I look it up.

1202 vlz4 maybe?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Guitarking wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:45 pmI have a mackie VLZ pro 1024 mixer...

I don't recognise that model. Do you mean a 1402 or 1604 vlz pro?

I've learned on this forum that one can dodge the eq section by using the channel inserts on the back (??). But how to do this when I have 4 mics going into 2 inputs at the REvox?

Short answer: you can't!

The insert send provides an (unbalanced) output direct from the preamp, and that can be useful if you have a multitrack recorder recording each channel separately.

But you want to record a stereo mix of four mics onto the Revox, so you need to record the mixer's stereo main outputs. If you don't want to EQ the mics, just set the EQ gains to the middle (flat) position.

The vlz pro mixers aren't great for headroom, so I'd recommend adjusting channel gains so that the stereo mix peaks no higher than +6dB on the output meters.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Zukan »

Why do you want to do this?

I ask because there might be better workarounds.
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition