upgrade to Roland HD1

Discuss the hardware/software tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

upgrade to Roland HD1

Post by Guitarking »

Hello everyone,

I have a Roland HD1 e-drum kit. Worked fine with Toontrack. But looking for something more touch sensitive. Still, I need the small size the HD1 has as my room is small.
I could upgrade the snare by a more expensive one? Or is there a full drumkit (just as small) but with better trigger quality? I don't care about the sounds as I'll be using Toontrack anyway.

Thanks
Guitarking
Regular

Re: upgrade to Roland HD1

Post by resistorman »

I don't know much about digital drums, but I'm wondering about the touch sensitivity. Since midi velocity has a set range, is the problem that the velocity is "bunched up" in parts of the range? Are there different curves you can apply, either on the instrument or in Toontrack?
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2743 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Re: upgrade to Roland HD1

Post by Drew Stephenson »

The HD-1 has five different sensitivity settings, what's currently set to?
I'm a very light touch drummer (because I'm not a drummer) and I have no issues with the sensitivity of mine.
I don't think I've seen anything of a notably better quality that'll give you the same small footprint - might be worth looking at upgrading the snare but I'm not sure what the compatibility is like.
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25395 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/