Just, wow!

For fans of synths, pianos, organs or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Just, wow!

Post by MarkOne »

It's about 25 minutes long, but if you are of the 'progressive' keyboards persuasion, I think you'll enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/YS2TeUPOYgI

Some people are just too talented!

Oh, and to get to play the GX1 for real! Not to mention Keith's Goff modified B3 and the big modular...
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2825 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Re: Just, wow!

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I hate uber-talented people with far more keyboards than me.... :lol: Impressive stuff.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by OneWorld »

Just the other night I watched the BBC programme - Project Icon, where a cohort of young hopefuls are part of a competition to find the 'next big star' Yes another X-Factoresque 'competion. It's OK, worth a watch, but as one might expect quite predictable - there's the one who's the dilly-mop, a few sassy ones thrown in, the moody and the one that they all throw into the mix, who has a heartbreak story to tell, I think her favourite puppy died the night before the 'audition'

This is not to say that there is no talent amongst the competitors, though the songs sound much the same, they are much of a muchness - nothing 'novel' that makes you say "I want to hear that again" But at least they are having a go and credit to them for that.

But at the top of the programme, one of the judges said something quite indicative - he said "It's not just about the music anymore, it's the whole package" referring to the competitors looks, social media presence, videos etc Gives the impression that if one doesn't look the part, act the part, they are unworthy (as musicians) Extrapolate from that and it might be reasonable to conclude that an aspiring writer could be the next Bert Bacharach, Stevie Wonder etc, but wouldn't even get through the door if he didn't do the look and the moves.

And comparing the artistry of the man in the YouTube you link to is of a completely different league when compared to the slick and polished but mundane efforts displayed by the competitors who have this belief they are the next big thing. The stuff done by the man in the video is admittedly dated, he would not be the next big thing though I doubt he aspires to be, but he does show an exceptional example of skill and musicianship
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:39 pm I hate uber-talented people with far more keyboards than me.... :lol: Impressive stuff.

LOL - I think if I had such an impressive array of dream machines, I don't think I'd ever get to play a note - I would just sit there wide-eyed and drool, as an art lover might go into an trance when looking at The Mona Lisa
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

OneWorld wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:46 pmExtrapolate from that and it might be reasonable to conclude that an aspiring writer could be the next Bert Bacharach, Stevie Wonder etc, but wouldn't even get through the door if he didn't do the look and the moves.

It's been that way for decades. The teenage market the record companies want to buy the product are driven entirely by looks and celebrity, not musical prowess or actual talent. The voice can be re-tuned. Other talented people behind the scenes can compose, arrange and play the music. But the 'artist' has to be model-perfect in looks, with good dance moves, a marketable back story, and willing do the record company's bidding without complaint.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by The Elf »

I recently discovered where a lovely Yamaha GX1 is sitting. I am hoping I can make a visit to try it out, but the owner is one heck of a busy chap! ;):D

Love that video. I've long been an admirer of this guy - so talented!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20285 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by N i g e l »

MarkOne wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:03 pm It's about 25 minutes long,....

:thumbup: Nice !

;)
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3895 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by rha »

OneWorld wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:46 pm ... dilly-mop...

I googled this and didn't come up with anything useful, in fact this thread was at the bottom of the second page... help me out?

I remember seeing some tv programme or other where they mentioned that Motown had a squad that were responsible for tutoring the artists for comportment. Teaching Marvin Gaye how to move on stage and so on!
rha
Poster

Post by horiprod »

Not my musical taste, however extremely impressive video of a very talented gentleman. Regarding this GX1, it was my humble self that helped un-earth it. I'd known the owner Vince Pupillo for a while, since he bought Vivian Kubrick's two Fairlight CMI systems which I helped restore (I have a small business doing just that). He asked me to travel to a remote property outside Adelaide (Australia) to check out a "barn find" GX1 that a chap had found whilst persuing his main passion of collecting pinball machines... Lo and behold, I checked it out, everything was fine, and Vince bought it. Later, whilst on holiday/vacation in New York, Vince drove up from Philly, collected my wife and myself, and transported us to his home where he treated us like royality.. Very cool guy! (And if some-one could explain how to upload an image, I could post pictures of it).
horiprod
New here

Post by The Elf »

horiprod wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:31 am(And if some-one could explain how to upload an image, I could post pictures of it).

Use an image hosting service, such as Imgur, and upload the image to it. Select the image on there and copy the 'Direct Link' for it and paste it in here between 'image' ('img' and '/img' in square brackets) tags.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20285 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:01 pm
It's been that way for decades. The teenage market the record companies want to buy the product are driven entirely by looks and celebrity, not musical prowess or actual talent. The voice can be re-tuned. Other talented people behind the scenes can compose, arrange and play the music. But the 'artist' has to be model-perfect in looks, with good dance moves, a marketable back story, and willing do the record company's bidding without complaint.

If you want to get into that area of the "business" the most important thing to get sorted out is the hair cut, closely followed by what trainers you’re going to wear.
Saying that, a friend has a gig tomorrow, and he’s been thinking about what to wear for it, for the last two days.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by MarkOne »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:46 am
Saying that, a friend has a gig tomorrow, and he’s been thinking about what to wear for it, for the last two days.

A cape. It has to feature a cape.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2825 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Arpangel »

MarkOne wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:09 am
Arpangel wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:46 am

A cape. It has to feature a cape.

For me, maybe, but he’s a Goth/Punk, so I don’t think it would go down too well.

Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by BigRedX »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:17 amFor me, maybe, but he’s a Goth/Punk, so I don’t think it would go down too well.

Depending on how goth he is, a Dracula- style cape might go down very well.

Failing that you can't beat wearing black.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by BigRedX »

BigRedX wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:11 am
Arpangel wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:17 amFor me, maybe, but he’s a Goth/Punk, so I don’t think it would go down too well.

Depending on how goth he is, a Dracula- style cape might go down very well - check Westenra, Byronic Sex & Exile, or Rome Burns.

Failing that you can't beat wearing black.

BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Arpangel »

AFAIK, we’ll all be in black, there may be a smattering of leopard print, amongst the women.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster