Logic on iPad

Discuss the hardware/software tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Logic on iPad

Post by sonics »

I'm intrigued to see how this will work in the hands of an expert user. I suppose there aren't any videos available yet?

ManFromGlass wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:01 pm As much as I like using the ipad when my 2012 tower goes down I won’t be getting the latest fully loaded ipad, keyboard thingy and pencil. It’s quite a price of admission. That being said, to continue on as a composer means I’ll have to drop between $5-6k on a new mac including necessary software and external hardware upgrades.

I presume you're tied to Logic, and hence a Mac? What's the used market like? Apple Silicon had lots of users scrambling to upgrade. Maybe it's lowered the cost of older Macs? And seeing as Apple Silicon is so efficient, does one need to spend that much any more?
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by muzines »

sonics wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:53 pm I'm intrigued to see how this will work in the hands of an expert user. I suppose there aren't any videos available yet?

Nothing other than what Apple have released on their site, as it's not in the hands of the public yet (at least, it will be embargoed until the launch date.
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by RichardT »

ManFromGlass wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:33 am I was wondering who would bring up the subs word first!
Should I run in the other direction when I see this hype about Logic and Final Cut on the ipad?
“ applications that establish the iPad as a content creation platform on a par with traditional desktops.” Methinks they would be comparing to a pretty crippled traditional desktop then, possibly from many years ago.
But I learned not to dismiss crazy talk like this when Auria came out. That was amazing.
And currently Lumafusion still blows my mind and they keep making it better, and unlike Final Cut, I don’t need to buy an M1 or M2 ipad to run it.
Interesting times.
Logic requirements - 12.9 ipad pro 6th gen, apple pencil 2. IOs 16.
I’m 2nd gen and pencil #1 so I’ll be watching from the sidelines.

I’m 1st gen and I’m not going to upgrade any time soon!
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4404 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by tea for two »

I would like to find out how much storage GB with all instruments would take up.

At the moment my Logic X is over 500GB.
If iPad Pro Logic X is Lite then 256GB ? with all instruments.
I suppose we will find ooot 23rd.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by muzines »

tea for two wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:38 pm At the moment my Logic X is over 500GB.

I don't know what the other stuff you have is, but the factory content that comes with Logic is about 60-70GB with everything installed.

tea for two wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:38 pm If iPad Pro Logic X is Lite then 256GB ? with all instruments.
I suppose we will find ooot 23rd.

I'm sure, just like the Mac version, the content will be optional downloads, so you don't have to download everything in one go, and can pick and choose.

The entry level iPad Pro has 128GB of onboard storage, although I expect most people getting powerful "Pro"-based ipads for these apps will have a lot more - they go up to 2TB of internal storage - plus whatever cloud service you subscribe to for online storage. So I don't think factory content storage is a massive problem, for people who want to really use their iPad as a productivity device. If you have a low spec, or entry level device, obviously what you can do with regarding these pro apps will be more limited.

You're not going to able able to run huge Kontakt libraries, or Omnisphere plugins etc, so large sample libraries aren't really viable for an iPad, unless you have them in Logic's sampler.
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by tea for two »

muzines wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:33 pm
tea for two wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:38 pm At the moment my Logic X is over 500GB.

I don't know what the other stuff you have is, but the factory content that comes with Logic is about 60-70GB with everything installed.

DOOOH my partition with Logic X is over 500GB. Gosh you'd thunk I'd know that.
I put it down to me not having a clue lol.

muzines wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:33 pm I'm sure, just like the Mac version, the content will be optional downloads, so you don't have to download everything in one go, and can pick and choose.

The entry level iPad Pro has 128GB of onboard storage, although I expect most people getting powerful "Pro"-based ipads for these apps will have a lot more - they go up to 2TB of internal storage - plus whatever cloud service you subscribe to for online storage. So I don't think factory content storage is a massive problem, for people who want to really use their iPad as a productivity device. If you have a low spec, or entry level device, obviously what you can do with regarding these pro apps will be more limited.

You're not going to able able to run huge Kontakt libraries, or Omnisphere plugins etc, so large sample libraries aren't really viable for an iPad, unless you have them in Logic's sampler.

Been eyeing used cracked screen M1 pad pro.
Wasn't sure which GB, butt 256GB should suffice for my basic use should I get Logic for pad pro.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by Mattsong »

This is an interesting development that could have positive impacts for music creation. Lots of practical issues to be worked out as far as project sharing, libraries and the such, but even as a longtime Logic user I am trying to look at this through a different lens.
Logic on the iPad is a multi-touch creative instrument.
What would our response be if;
Slate released a mini 12 inch Raven that did internal processing.
Albeton released a multi-touch clip launcher, drum machine and sampler.
Roland or Yamaha released a full feature workstation as a desktop module with multiple synth engines, effects, option for third party plugins and interfaces, and almost limitless multitrack recording.
So even if you don't use Logic it could be an interesting sound module. Yes $1,000 for a compatible iPad is a chunk of change. I have a touch screen four fader Artist series controller that is dead as the touch screen failed and that only cost me $1,500.
I really look forward to SOS putting Logic for iPad through its paces to see what we really have here. I also think the EDM world is going to find a lot of use for this kind of a multipurpose technology.
Mattsong
Poster

Post by RichardT »

I wonder how it feel to use such a small screen? I tried Steinberg’s DAW app for the iPad and decided I couldn’t seriously use it because I could see so little at once. Touch didn’t make up for that.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4404 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by ManFromGlass »

I don’t mind the small 12.9 screen. I’ve made some great tracks on the ipad which then get dragged into Logic on the tower, or sometimes I use the ipad as an external fx box sending tracks from the tower out and back in.

But psychologically for me things don’t get serious until I hook a powered hub with mouse and external hard drive to the ipad. I always have the old mac wireless keyboard wirelessly connected and sometimes hookup a wireless music keyboard.
So in essence I am building a laptop out of the ipad. Why bother with the ipad then? Mostly because there are plugins and synths that are seriously cool and will never get ported over to AU. If Logic on the ipad can access them, well, I’m going to have to reconsider a few things!

I tried to like Cubasis but it had a DAW mentality that didn’t work for me on the ipad screen too. AUM feels like the right approach, but I sometimes end up plugging in apps that get me back to the DAW feel. To do a DAW properly, in my mind, requires lot’s a screen real estate on multiple screens.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6833 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by tea for two »

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple took cues from Beat Maker3 when designing Logic for padpro.

For me pad is worth getting just for £27 BeatMaker3.
Here's some vids
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PCLjoKjpG ... ZCBwcm8%3D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IHcFGXybq ... tzIA%3D%3D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i8kk5ys7C ... FtcGxpbmcg
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by Guido3 »

If I had a suitable iPad I would definitely give it a go for a few months.

For me, it's not worth buying an iPad to be able to use it. You'll need plenty of storage too which will bump up the cost further.
Guido3
Frequent Poster
Posts: 667 Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Derbyshire
They say you are what you eat but I don't remember eating a f**king legend!

Post by tea for two »

I wanted to get M1 mcmini 16GB 512GB now just under £700 used. I was also looking at getting iPad pro making mcmini use touch screen using Luna Display $119 "Headless Mode lets you use your Mac or iPad as the main display for Mac mini and Mac Pro."
https://astropad.com/product/lunadisplay/

With Logic Le on padpro I can instead just get M1 pad pro and that's that.
I'm not a power user. Max 16 tracks per piece. Play record, eq, mix. Done pretty much.
So it's 3rd gen 2021 M1 pad pro 11inch with 256GB storage I'm looking at. Or 12.9inch 5th gen 2021 M1 pad pro.
Specs say both have USB-C 4 Thunderbolt 4. Near identical specs just battery larger on the 12.9.
Cracked screen : approx £200 the 11inch, approx £250 the 12.9 inch on well known auction site. That's within my budget.

£4.99 a month as long as there no extra ££ to cough up for extra features goodies, I can cope.

I just got 2017 iMac 27 inch middle of march so I'm hardly bleeding edge. More dithering doddering lol.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

n47han wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:13 amLogic requirements:
You can install Logic Pro for iPad on any iPad with the A12 Bionic chip or later and iPadOS 16.4 or later. That is iPad Pro 3 or higher, iPad Mini 5 or higher, iPad Air 3 or higher and iPad 8 or higher.

Since my iPad is 7th gen this makes the discussion nicely academic. The suggestion that we're heading for subs on Logic somewhere down the line doesn't :madas:

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13303 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
An inspirational quote is like a parachute.
It can really get you down.

Post by muzines »

ConcertinaChap wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:32 pm The suggestion that we're heading for subs on Logic somewhere down the line doesn't :madas:

Magic 8-Ball says: "All signs point to yes."
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by tea for two »

In a way I can't wait to get hold of a pad pro M1 within my budget £250ish (cracked screen I've had cracked screen pad pro 12.9 1st gen), so I can migrate to touch Logic.
For a fair amount of my stuff I use sounds synths included with Logic as well as Logics plugins eq, comp, filter, amp sims.
So if these all are available on Logic for pad then yippeee.
There may be a few or more teething issues that's to be expected.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

muzines wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:49 pm Magic 8-Ball says: "All signs point to yes."

Wish I could disagree convincingly ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13303 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
An inspirational quote is like a parachute.
It can really get you down.

Post by tea for two »

Also with Sampler in Logic in padpro it will be easier for me to do my favourite JmJarre Zoolook styleee just record whatever wherever chop it up, swathe in FX, mangle it, make instrument like sounds.
I had Olympus LS-P1, Tascam DR05.
Butt utilising lower quality mics on M1 pad pro just press record saves me some faff I'm gonna swathe it in fx anyways .
I fink logic on pad pro just might who knows make my music making a whole lot more adventurous batman :evil:
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by stellavista303 »

tea for two wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:09 pm In a way I can't wait to get hold of a pad pro M1 within my budget £250ish (cracked screen I've had cracked screen pad pro 12.9 1st gen), so I can migrate to touch Logic.
For a fair amount of my stuff I use sounds synths included with Logic as well as Logics plugins eq, comp, filter, amp sims.
So if these all are available on Logic for pad then yippeee.
There may be a few or more teething issues that's to be expected.

I’m in a similar boat and considering the same but the early review on Music Radar suggests compatibility with Apple Pencil 2 would also be useful for Logic on iPad: https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/appl ... o-for-ipad.

Can’t wait for the SoS review of this.
stellavista303
New here

Post by ravmitterhoff »

Cell Keeps changing length

I am trying to record directly into a cell. On the cell inspector tab of the cell in "play" I set the loop length and cell length to 4, and in "record" I set the record length to "cell length" but just keeps recording past 4 measures. What am I doing wrong?
ravmitterhoff
Poster