Cable install: by instrument or by content?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Cable install: by instrument or by content?

Post by dwevanston »

After replacing the floor in my studio, I'm about to move my stuff back in. I'm wondering if there's a best practice for the sequence or process of running the cables. Barring those, are there any particular principles to bear in mind to get the best outcome?

I have a handful of synths, some effects pedals run in parallel, and an outboard compressor. Those all go via TRS to/from patch bays. Above the patch bays is an A+H Qu16 that I use primarily as a converter to get to my Mac. I run MIDI from synths, pedals and Mac to a MioXL. And I run USB from the computer to most of the devices. I have a power sequencer, so I have four different sets of power runs (always-on plus the sequenced sets). I use snakes for a lot of the TRS and MIDI.

I know to keep the power and USB away from, or at right-angles to, the audio.

I'm just wondering, as I think about installing it all...is it best to run all audio, then all midi, then usb, then power...or everything by instrument...or something else.

Any ideas welcome.

Cheers!
dwevanston
My music on SoundCloud

Re: Cable install: by instrument or by content?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I prefer to get the core computer / interface / speakers up and running first, making sure there's no hums or buzzes.

I then connect each instrument source and outboard device one at a time, checking for and resolving and grounding issues before connecting the next unit.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39131 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Cable install: by instrument or by content?

Post by dwevanston »

Makes great sense. Thanks. I’d searched the forum as well as articles… and scoured the internet, but hadn’t found an answer to this one. I’m grateful for your advice.
dwevanston
My music on SoundCloud