Happy International Drone Day!

For fans of synths, pianos, organs or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Happy International Drone Day!

Post by Ben Asaro »

Happy International Drone Day, everyone! :D:D

https://audio.com/don-music/internation ... e-day-2023
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2403 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Re: Happy International Drone Day!

Post by sonics »

I don't have a meditation space (or even a meditation routine), however with a cup of tea and a nice view across the freshly-mown field down to the water on a lovely clear sunny day, it was a good fit.

Thank you for creating that. :D
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Ben Asaro »

Thanks for listening! I hope it took you to a peaceful place!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

There's a world of lovely subtle stuff going on behind that sonic wash Ben, great stuff :clap:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 9039 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Folderol »

That was quite enjoyable, although I thought the basic sound was a bit on the harsh side. I prefer a warmer sound for this sort of thing.

What were those voices at the end. I thought it was leakage on my system for a moment.

P.S. did you know there is an international drone day for those other drones?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18569 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Ben Asaro »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:38 pm There's a world of lovely subtle stuff going on behind that sonic wash Ben, great stuff :clap:

Thanks, Eddy!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Folderol wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:50 pm That was quite enjoyable, although I thought the basic sound was a bit on the harsh side. I prefer a warmer sound for this sort of thing.

What were those voices at the end. I thought it was leakage on my system for a moment.

Thanks for listening. The Lyra-8 can create some lovely textures, but it's a beast that you have to wrestle with. I usually put a filter after it for that reason, but for pure drone work, I like the bite and distortion, which were both quite high ... plus the delay was self oscillating and the distortion on the L8 is after the delay. :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Folderol wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:50 pm That was quite enjoyable, although I thought the basic sound was a bit on the harsh side. I prefer a warmer sound for this sort of thing.

There is a voice murmuring away under the entire piece. It's a very short clip on a loop throughout. It's not really meant to be heard clearly, it just adds another layer of texture.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Folderol »

Ben Asaro wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:48 pm

There is a voice murmuring away under the entire piece. It's a very short clip on a loop throughout. It's not really meant to be heard clearly, it just adds another layer of texture.

Interesting. I wonder why I only noticed it towards the end.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18569 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Ben Asaro »

Folderol wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:06 am
Ben Asaro wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:48 pm

Interesting. I wonder why I only noticed it towards the end.

It becomes more audible when the synth layers thin out. When it poked out towards the end, I lowered its level again. :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

This is good stuff, I like the fundamental drone sound, I prefer edgy hard sounding drones sometimes, they’re more "industrial/disturbing" and the voice is at just the right level, all I’d say is that it could do with a few more changes, but maybe that’s just my attention span diminishing as I’m getting older and less patient.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:04 am This is good stuff, I like the fundamental drone sound, I prefer edgy hard sounding drones sometimes, they’re more "industrial/disturbing" and the voice is at just the right level, all I’d say is that it could do with a few more changes, but maybe that’s just my attention span diminishing as I’m getting older and less patient.

Lol
Thanks for listening! This was written and recorded in one shot, so it’s very much an is-what-it-is scenario. Was good practice, though…
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by tea for two »

Aaah that was a smooth lunchtime listening.
Spoken voice/s is just at the right subdued level to not be intrusive.

Re patience impatience.
It's weirrrrrd as I'm getting past in years lol I'm getting more exasperated at meself swearing more and more at meself.
Whereas my patience for others has increased : I have so much more time for others doddering lol nowadays.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Ben Asaro wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:40 pm Lol
Thanks for listening! This was written and recorded in one shot, so it’s very much an is-what-it-is scenario. Was good practice, though…

I used to work this way, one take, that’s it.
Now I'll record a soundscape, and leave it until I’ve recorded a few of them, maybe 40/50 or more, then I’ll put them all on different tracks in Reaper, and randomly hit the mute/solo buttons, and then maybe move things around without listening to what I’ve done first before pressing play, it’s a totally random and spontaneous process with no thought whatsoever applied to it, that’s what you hear on all of my albums made in the last 10 years, I’m constantly surprised and amazed at what can come out of total chaos and lack of planning.
This approach is no use to anyone that wants any degree of predictability, and the only judge, if it works at all, is your ears, you have to grab segments that work, and then you can go on to collage them even more.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

tea for two wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:26 pm Aaah that was a smooth lunchtime listening.
Spoken voice/s is just at the right subdued level to not be intrusive.

Re patience impatience.
It's weirrrrrd as I'm getting past in years lol I'm getting more exasperated at meself swearing more and more at meself.
Whereas my patience for others has increased : I have so much more time for others doddering lol nowadays.

Thanks for listening! Glad it paired w lunch. :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:30 am
Ben Asaro wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:40 pm Lol

I used to work this way, one take, that’s it.
Now I'll record a soundscape, and leave it until I’ve recorded a few of them, maybe 40/50 or more, then I’ll put them all on different tracks in Reaper, and randomly hit the mute/solo buttons, and then maybe move things around without listening to what I’ve done first before pressing play, it’s a totally random and spontaneous process with no thought whatsoever applied to it, that’s what you hear on all of my albums made in the last 10 years, I’m constantly surprised and amazed at what can come out of total chaos and lack of planning.
This approach is no use to anyone that wants any degree of predictability, and the only judge, if it works at all, is your ears, you have to grab segments that work, and then you can go on to collage them even more.

I love your sonic collages. I don’t have a single method any more, I’ll do whatever the piece demands to get it done. That being said, I tend towards live takes, human mistakes, and destructive editing bc it’s most fun for me. But it really depends on what the project is.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

My working methods are very much based on a lack of ability in other areas, I’d like to be able to know how to get to a particular place musically, predictably, but I just don’t have the technique.
My partner asked me "do you hear notes before you play them?" I said yes, sometimes. But I wish I had much more technique, you can never have too much, but those that have it often don’t control it well, lack discipline.
I’ve got two heads, my solo piano music, very conventional, and my electronic music which is just all over the place.
My musical life I’ve always thought lacks focus, I should (IMO) have pursued a classical career, or, gone all out for electronic stuff, but I guess all of our qualities are a mixture, that’s what makes peoples music interesting.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster