Mogami 3173 XLR Wiring

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Mogami 3173 XLR Wiring

Post by Mustang Martigan »

Hey, when wiring the 3173 to XLR, do you need to wrap the copper shielding wires with the uninsulated drain wire? Or can you snip the shielding, cuz it's already touching the drain throughout the cable?

Also, what's the point of the two pieces of clear insulation that don't have any wire?

Thanks.
Mustang Martigan
New here

Re: Mogami 3173 XLR Wiring

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Mustang Martigan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:17 pm Hey, when wiring the 3173 to XLR, do you need to wrap the copper shielding wires with the uninsulated drain wire?

I would, yes.

Also, what's the point of the two pieces of clear insulation that don't have any wire?

They are 'packers', twisted in with the two signal wires to make that group more round or cylindrical, given a more consistent structure for the screen and outer protective sleeving to encircle. You can trim them back.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Mustang Martigan »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:02 am
Mustang Martigan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:17 pm Hey, when wiring the 3173 to XLR, do you need to wrap the copper shielding wires with the uninsulated drain wire?

I would, yes.

I trimmed the shielding on the first one I made the other day; it works fine. What would the benefit be of combining the two?
Mustang Martigan
New here

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Better RFI immunity.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...