Options for mounting PA speakers differently and barriers in pubs/clubs?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Options for mounting PA speakers differently and barriers in pubs/clubs?

Post by skipper01 »

Hi, I’m open to any advice or suggestions.
As a solo performer I’m concerned when performing in pubs/clubs with drunk folks ie dancing and potentially falling into equipment particularly Pa speaker tripods stands. One venue in particular is a problem with lack of space and awkward setup position.
Therein, id like to find a way of creating a barrier that could actually be effective without being unrealistic to transport or setup.
I see there are pa speaker stands that have a circular base on the market but I’d imagine beyond the advantage of less space footprint at the base it isn’t going to make a lot of difference to the inherent risk and probably even be less stable?
The only thing I can think of is to perhaps put the Pa speakers on reasonably weighty ie circular tables that could double up as a bit of a protective barrier to the sides of me in the middle and would be off the floor at least if not in the ideal listening position.
Maybe there is a realistic product that could create a complete barrier around the whole area?
Obviously I have PLI etc but surely it’s up to venues though to ultimately afford a safe and reasonable working environment?
skipper01
Regular
Posts: 290 Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 12:00 am Location: Bristol UK

Re: Options for mounting PA speakers differently and barriers in pubs/clubs?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Hmm. It would be relatively easy to make a couple of half-circle tables with foldable legs that could go on the outside half of the speaker stands and there by keep people away from the projecting legs, but I doubt there's any pre-built option?
Maybe a couple of these sticking out with the table set flat? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Allcam-Laptop- ... 5407&psc=1
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by skipper01 »

Just to clarify- I was literally thinking of doing away with the Pa speaker stands/tripods and just using the circular tables idea.
I was wondering if this might be a bit of a barrier at the sides and less likely to be able to be tripped over with the projecting tripod legs that are less able to be seen.
skipper01
Regular

Post by resistorman »

From long experience, I can tell you there's nothing outside of heavy iron that would be strong enough. You might consider using a mini line array system behind you on stage.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2743 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Ah right, in which case I'd be adding some transport straps to my gig bag to make sure the cabinets were firmly attached to the table.
I think the problem there might be that the speakers would be too low to project over the crowd? Unless you tables were 5 ft high, which might lead to people banging their heads on the edges (and still tripping over the legs).
Maybe some pool noodles sticking out from the stands, cut to look pointy but actually being soft?

EDIT: Resistorman's suggestion is probably the way forward, expensive though it is.
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

I'm in agreement with the others, for barriers to be effective they have to be solid which means heavy and expensive. I'd go for a mini line array system like the Bose L1 Pro16. They are expensive though and not as loud* as a 'normal' boxes on sticks rig.

My K12's go to 132 (each) dB SPL the Pro 16 124 dB SPL, but the Pro 16 will project to the back of the room better and, if the older L1's I'v heard are anything to go by, will sound superb. Feedback rejection is simply superb too with the speaker behind you.
Sam Spoons
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20078 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I agree. If you can't safely use standard tripod stands, the best option is a chunky sub on the floor as a stand base, with a top unit on a pole from the sub.

The Bose L1 systems, (and equivalents) are a neat option that sound remarkably good. The L1 pro32 manages 128dB SPL, but costs £3k each (inc sub2).

If you need more oomph, the Bose F1 stack delivers 132dB SPL at £4.2k for a stereo system (two tops, two subs, with stacking kit).
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Saxum esse et non provolvere »

I know I'm a little late to the party, but may I put in a recommendation for K&M's 5-legged speaker stands ? I've owned a set for years, although they now appear to have been superseded by the KM-ST21494 model. They're incredibly stable, and I have no hesitation in hoisting my QSC K10s onto them for the somewhat boisterous pub gigs that always seem to come my way. I tend to add "stripes" of white tape to the legs to reduce the trip hazard. Obviously they wouldn't provide a robust barrier between talent and audience, but they might be a good enough compromise, for a relatively small outlay.
Saxum esse et non provolvere
Poster
Posts: 76 Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:00 am Location: Wherever my van is, UK

Post by resistorman »

Saxum esse et non provolvere wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:58 pm I know I'm a little late to the party, but may I put in a recommendation for K&M's 5-legged speaker stands ? I've owned a set for years, although they now appear to have been superseded by the KM-ST21494 model. They're incredibly stable, and I have no hesitation in hoisting my QSC K10s onto them for the somewhat boisterous pub gigs that always seem to come my way. I tend to add "stripes" of white tape to the legs to reduce the trip hazard. Obviously they wouldn't provide a robust barrier between talent and audience, but they might be a good enough compromise, for a relatively small outlay.

I've never seen such a thing! Cool idea.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Good stands I'm sure, but two issues spring to mind:

1) as they have 5 legs, aren't they unstable on floors that aren't perfectly flat?

2) they increase the 'trip hazard'...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:49 pm I agree. If you can't safely use standard tripod stands, the best option is a chunky sub on the floor as a stand base, with a top unit on a pole from the sub.

A fabric “skirt” between the two, held by (black) Velcro on the top/side of the sub and the bottom/side of the HF stops people putting their drinks on the sub (grrr!!!) and creates more “presence”, preventing trip hazard. Easily fashioned from a black bed-sheet, available from all good supermarkets and ‘70s theme parties.

Does result in some hilarity when people lean on it, though so worth a tasteful dash of hazard gaffer tape.

Mike Stranks wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:40 pm Good stands I'm sure, but two issues spring to mind:

1) as they have 5 legs, aren't they unstable on floors that aren't perfectly flat?

So long as three are in contact the others will connect if/when required.

2) they increase the 'trip hazard'...

More hazard gaffer tape.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9169 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Stratman57 »

Whilst doing rural touring theatre shows, I find that putting chairs facing inwards towards the speaker/lighting stands keeps people from tripping over the stand legs. Of course white LX tape to highlight legs etc. is always a good practice.

I can also attest to the benefits of small line array PA systems. I use 2 X LD systems Maui 11 G2 systems with my covers band. Positioned behind the band plenty of volume and no need for separate monitors, and away from clumsy patrons.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular
Stratman57

Post by SoundArfa »

SoundArfa
Poster

Post by skipper01 »

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
I too use QSC K12s and would greatly prefer to continue using as they sound great and are very familiar now (whilst appreciating the practical advantages of ie a Bose system as suggested). Equally I’m going to have to do something as frankly I’ve never actually been scared performing before but was at the last party where people were absolutely steaming drunk out of control and behaving so dangerously.
I literally caught one speaker before it toppled once.
I ended up refusing to continue unless a barrier was employed and the only thing there was some chairs.
I’m going to have to do something as it’s the 2nd venue I’ve done where I’ve felt uncomfortable and room is limited…
People seem to be getting more drunk and out of control in my opinion…!
skipper01
Regular

Post by Wonks »

The easy option would seem to be not playing venues that are too small.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Mike Stranks »

Regrettably, I think Wonks is right...

The potential implications of someone being hit on the head by a falling speaker are horrendous... inquest, insurance assessors, health and safety etc etc. You would be just as much under scrutiny as the venue.

Even if you came out of it all found faultless, the potential personal psychological damage would be significant.

If a venue can't control the crowd and there isn't sufficient space for you to have a virtual or physical barrier, then I would seriously think of walking away...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

Or get them to install a chicken wire barrier and play Rawhide and Stand By Your Man all night.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by resistorman »

Not ideal, but in a small venue you might be able to put them on chairs on stage with you.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Post by skipper01 »

Thanks again for all the thoughts.
Yeah I appreciate the risks as I said in my original post I was actually scared.
I’m not sure anybody should be put in a work situation with that much risk.
I will not do the place that was particularly bad again and may consider just putting the speakers on the floor or on a table or something in the other which wasn’t as bad.
I’d rather be playing rawhide and stand by your man than many of the requests I get now - still, each to their own x
skipper01
Regular