Use 12 mics to record drums with antelope studio synergy core, edge duo and scarlett 18i20 1st gen

Discuss the hardware/software tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Use 12 mics to record drums with antelope studio synergy core, edge duo and scarlett 18i20 1st gen

Post by TIUNON80 »

Hello guys, I have four Neumann Km184 for overheads,hi-hat and ride, two Shure SM57 for top and bottom snare, one avantone subkick, one akg d112 for kick,tree sennheiser md421 for toms and floor tom and an antelope edge duo for the room then I have an antelope studio synergy core and a scarlett 18i20 1st gen.
Now I connected all mics except the edge duo on Orion, because I'd like to use antelope preamps and I have an empty line I can't use for edge duo because it has a Y-splitter cable and so I connected it on 18i20 that I connected via adat to the Orion but I can't use the mic emulations because I should connect it to the antelope interface.
How do you suggest me to connect all that stuff? And which settings(sample rate,etc) do you suggest me? Thanks.
TIUNON80
Poster

Re: Use 12 mics to record drums with antelope studio synergy core, edge duo and scarlett 18i20 1st gen

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I'm not sure how much difference you're going to notice between the focusrite and the antelope pre-amps, but if that's your preference then I'd be tempted to put your core mics and room mics through the antelope's 12 channels.
So overheads, snare top and bottom, kicks, room(s), and toms.
Then put the hi-hat and the ride through the focusrite as you might not need them at all.
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Re: Use 12 mics to record drums with antelope studio synergy core, edge duo and scarlett 18i20 1st gen

Post by James Perrett »

Personally I would probably connect the room mic through the other preamp. The main reason is that the processing time of each A/D convertor is likely to be different so the room mic won't have quite the right timing relationship with the other mics. A room mic is intended to be distant so the equivalent of a foot closer or further caused by the A/D delay isn't likely to make as much difference as it would with a close drum mic.

Of course you can always slide tracks in time to match the delay if you are really worried about it.
James Perrett
Posts: 14606 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Drew Stephenson »

And this is just one reason among many why you should listen to James and not me. :D
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by TIUNON80 »

Ok, thanks guys but in this way I can't get emulation, right?
And which settings(sample rate,etc) do you suggest me? Thanks.
TIUNON80
Poster

Post by James Perrett »

I'd say record at 24 bit but the sample rate depends on how well the Antelope emulation works. I've found that some emulation software works noticeably better at 96kHz while other software sounds little different.
James Perrett
Posts: 14606 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by TIUNON80 »

Ok, thanks.
TIUNON80
Poster