Am I hearing right?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and earning royalties.

Re: Am I hearing right?

Post by amanise »

BigRedX wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:17 am As I see it there are two types of session playing. The first where you are simply there to play what you are told, usually from a score. .... The second is where you have creative input in what you play and therefore you should be entitled to a writing credit and the performance royalties that come with it.

This would define the point at which you had claim over some or all of the intellectual property of an original work. The writing credit would be acknowledgement of that IP share - but I'm not sure it directly translates into guaranteed money. Probably what a lot of the fights are about.
amanise
Frequent Poster
Adrian Manise
https://adrianmanise.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/adrian-manise
A name to strike fear into the hearts of A&R people everywhere...
:headbang:

Post by Drew Stephenson »

BigRedX wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:17 am
James Perrett wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:45 pmAs I understand it, session musicians are already paid for physical media sales so I guess they are proposing something similar for streams.

And who would have normally got that money? Because it has to come from somewhere.

The cynic in me steps forward once again to suggest that any unclaimed residuals are currently 'just resting' in the label's bank accounts.
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25330 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by James Perrett »

James Perrett wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:45 pmAs I understand it, session musicians are already paid for physical media sales so I guess they are proposing something similar for streams.

And who would have normally got that money? Because it has to come from somewhere.

I'd have to say that I can't tell you - I just remember all the similar arguments when the proposals came up for physical media. I do know that the label I work with supplies performer information nowadays to their digital distributor so it looks like parts of the industry have accepted that this is coming.
James Perrett
Posts: 14591 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by room66 »

I can only state here what I know about the collecting agencies in my country (Austria):
All royalties are divided in 4 parts
- composer
- lyricist (is that a word?)
- label
- performers

All unclaimed royalties remain with the collecting agency, not the label. So if there's no label, or if the label or producer didn't supply any performer data the collecting agency keeps their royalties and I think eventually these get distributed between everyone. I.e. a raise in royalties all round. On a percentage basis. Whoever collects most royalties in the country gets the biggest cut. Small labels and artists usually get nothing as their percentage of the pile is so small it adds up to cents only.
room66

Post by Martin Walker »

Drew Stephenson wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:19 am

The cynic in me steps forward once again to suggest that any unclaimed residuals are currently 'just resting' in the label's bank accounts.

Perhaps we should peruade the labels to give a (Father) TED talk? :beamup:
Martin Walker
Posts: 20731 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK