Power outage : Logic Auto Saved

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Power outage : Logic Auto Saved

Post by tea for two »

We had a power outage on the whole block of flats late last night.
I don't have a UPS. I would if I was a professional delivering a commercial project.

Was working on a basic 14track music piece in Logic.
Power returned sometime this morning.
Just a few minutes earlier turned on imac2017.
First thing after logging in, Logic opens with Auto Saved dialogue box.
Music piece as it was when power outage occured.

Hurrah for Auto Saved.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Re: Power outage : Logic Auto Saved

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Very nice. I'd still spring for a UPS if you can. I had a computer once that suffered quite bad disk corruption due to a power outage. Took a lot of effort to get it working again and it was always a bit flaky afterwards. Admittedly it was a Windows machine but nevertheless ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13303 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
An inspirational quote is like a parachute.
It can really get you down.

Post by IAA »

It’s a good feature for sure. I have over the years developed a habit of cmd S - so after any edit or change I find have added the save without thinking.

Agree UPS can be a lifesaver too, but I don’t use one although I have pondered it.

Might have another look but I have quite a lot of external storage too which would need a supply too not just the Mac.

Ian
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by Rich Hanson »

Journalled file systems help an awful lot in this regard. In the past, I have seen people recommend turning off journalling for performance reasons. Don't do this! Especially in this age of fast SSDs, it's not going to make a noticeable difference (and I'm not convinced it made much of a difference on spinning rust either).
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3356 Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: Sort of near Rochester, Kent, UK

Post by ManFromGlass »

There is a good market over here for used UPSs. A medium to big company gets rid of all of theirs and other companies buy and refurbish them (if needed) and sell them at a very good used price. This allowed me to buy a few better quality ones that I would not have been able to afford. Supposedly I can get 20 minutes of battery backup - I know this is affected by how much I have plugged in.
Perhaps there are similar companies doing the same over there.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6833 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

There are.

I've been using online UPS systems to protect my computers and related hardware for over 25 years. Wouldn't be without them

Back in the early 90s, when the Beeb was starting to adopt DAWs in place of tape, there were a lot of laddies and one of the oft-cited concerns was "What happens in a power cut?"

So when training people to use the SADiE system part of our initial demo was to pull the mains plug on the 486 PC! On rebooting and launching SADiE again it would present a query box asking if we wanted to continue where it left off? This was revolutionary at the time and built a lot of confidence in digital recording/ editing.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by sonics »

Here in rural Canada I'd not dare to try and work without a UPS. UK power stability seems like a distant dream to me now! During storms I try to work on the laptop instead if I can, since disruption is almost certain. :roll:
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by ConcertinaChap »

My UPS lists 12 "events" since I bought it last November. Most of those aren't actually power cuts but times when the UPS thinks the voltage has gone a bit skewwiff and maintains it. There was one event while I was using the machine. A power cut lasting a few seconds but would nevertheless have taken my iMac out, so quite chuffed with the calmness with which the UPS handled it.

Moral: UK power may be more stable than backwoods Canada but it's still worth having a UPS.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13303 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
An inspirational quote is like a parachute.
It can really get you down.