is this my vox technique or proximity or?

Discuss the hardware/software tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

is this my vox technique or proximity or?

Post by hooty2 »

Hi all.
i'm revisiting an issue that concerns me about my vocal recording (self).
I asked a same question many moons ago and was advised to let it pass, and advised it's not a big issue.. but it still rankles!
I usuall put up two mics - AKGC414/hyp & SMb57 and i sing very close with a pop screen. I do this because my song style is a few lilts away from spoken word and i like the effect, but also to minimise acoustic guitar spill (i've had little success with the fig8 pattern). I like having fx in post on vox and guitar and want them clean from each other.
Nb: on this track i do back off from the mics when i get louder or more dramatic.
Guitar is line in from onboard peramp and i play gently.
The link is to a recent song and shows this issue.
The song is still muddy in the lo-mids (the elfs advice) and i'm still working on that.
I marked two points that show the issue and it's the second that is major in my mind (H in hair) and i am close in at this point. It's distortion and i suspect it can be fixed at the recording stage. I tried various things in post but the fix was worse than the problem.
My question: is this an example of proximity effect or do i need to improve my vocal technique?
There is absolutely no need to listen to the song beyond the markers (unless you like it:))
https://soundcloud.com/user-463354445/p ... al_sharing
hooty2
Regular

Re: is this my vox technique or proximity or?

Post by Sam Inglis »

Within the mix at least I don't hear it as distortion. It just sounds to me as though you're emphasising the 'h' in hair and consequently it stands out as being a lot louder than the surrounding syllables. I'd imagine some mix automation would fix it.

Are you using the high-pass filter on the 414 during recording? You will certainly get a lot of proximity effect by using the mic up close in hypercardioid mode, but that will manifest itself primarily as a general boost in the low frequencies. You may also be getting wind blasts on some letters. Plosives can be a problem here but also letters like 'w' and 'h'.
Sam Inglis

Post by Drew Stephenson »

What Sam said ^^^.
Also have you got a de-esser going? I'm hearing a bit of a whooshing effect on the "she said" that could be indicative of trying to bring an 'ess' down too much.
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by sonics »

I hear this.
"She said" maybe a quality of your voice, or needs some small change in mic technique, or is a badly-adjusted de-esser. Adjust technique, de-esser or both.

"Hair" is a proximity-related plosive. Just back off the mic, point your plosives away from the capsule and/or duck the burst in the edit. It's linked to the change in vocal technique because of the previous word you sing. Sing just "your hair" and notice what your throat is doing.

Since your vocal is so exposed I would to expect to hear things like this in most vocal performances.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by hooty2 »

Thanks people, I will work on these things.
Is it appropriate to remove the link now?..
hooty2
Regular