Best DBX 160 plugin?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Best DBX 160 plugin?

Post by apaclin »

Looking for a good DBX plugin, what are your suggestions? Comparing Waves, UAD and Arturia right now (although I know Arturia is modelled after a different one). From what I hear now Waves and UAD are similar, but the UAD seems to have more presence, Arturia is similar on the auto attack/release mode, but has a longer release then the previous two. Also, when you turn off the auto attack/release on Arturia it sounds very trashy on drums which makes it unusable, while on other instruments there's not so much distortion. Also, regarding harmonic content, ranking from cleanest to the most saturated they are: UAD -> Waves -> Arturia.

What is your favourite one and why?
apaclin
Regular

Re: Best DBX 160 plugin?

Post by Wonks »

You are going to need to be more precise as to which dbx unit you want a simulation of.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by muzines »

I presume rather than talking about "dbx" (flavour of Dolby), the OP actually means the dbx 160A compressor.
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by apaclin »

muzines wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:48 pm I presume rather than talking about "dbx" (flavour of Dolby), the OP actually means the dbx 160A compressor.

No, I kinda mean 160VU, but also similar flavours, that's why I didn't specify it.
apaclin
Regular

Post by muzines »

apaclin wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:10 pm No, I kinda mean 160VU, but also similar flavours, that's why I didn't specify it.

Sorry, yes that's what I meant, not sure why I added the A. I have the UAD one and always liked it, but it's DSP-only so I'm hoping they port it to native.

The Arturia one is a different model by the looks (165A), and I generally don't like Waves most of the time. So my preference is the UA one, personally.
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

There are so many dBX compressor models, all supposedly based on the original 160-VU — or more specifically its use of the 'Blackmer VCA' — but all different in so many ways...

The 160VU (from the mid-70s) is unusual in the long line of dBX compressors in that it had a hard-knee response. The 'over-easy' soft-knee characteristic that everyone associates with dBX compression wasn't introduced until the early 80s in the 160X.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39667 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by sonics »

You don't say what you're going to be compressing and why a DBX, but I'll suggest the Waves BSS as an alternative. Lots of options. Good snappy, punchy fun. :)
I was always happy to see those rather than DBX units a few decades ago!
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by tea for two »

Here's two layered Synth Bass I shaped to be aggressive using dbx160 bundled with Logic to cut through a beefy EDM piece I'm working on.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/165Bbcw ... 6dg2Y/view
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by mountain lion »

How do you view hard knee soft knee compression. Does it matter? Whats your approach?

Thanks
mountain lion
Regular

Post by ore_terra »

muzines wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:20 pm
apaclin wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:10 pm No, I kinda mean 160VU, but also similar flavours, that's why I didn't specify it.

Sorry, yes that's what I meant, not sure why I added the A. I have the UAD one and always liked it, but it's DSP-only so I'm hoping they port it to native.

The Arturia one is a different model by the looks (165A), and I generally don't like Waves most of the time. So my preference is the UA one, personally.

There is a native version of the UAD DBX 160 compresor.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1071 Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 pm Location: Seville - Spain
casmoestudio.com

Post by Mixedup »

Always like the UA one. But more recently, I reckon Acustica Grey Pro sounds really good. It covers multiple types including 160VU hard-knee.
Mixedup
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4553 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Post by muzines »

ore_terra wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:45 am There is a native version of the UAD DBX 160 compresor.

There is now, yes, and I have it, but at the time of the post, there wasn't... (The UADx native version was ported and released about four months after that post).
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by ore_terra »

muzines wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:13 pm
ore_terra wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:45 am There is a native version of the UAD DBX 160 compresor.

There is now, yes, and I have it, but at the time of the post, there wasn't... (The UADx native version was ported and released about four months after that post).

2023… I didn’t notice😅
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1071 Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 pm Location: Seville - Spain
casmoestudio.com

Post by Stratocopter »

RLC 79V2 is a free DBX 160 simulation and it works very well.
https://psychocircuitry.com/rlc-79.html
Stratocopter