Oh No, subscription inbound…….

Discuss the hardware/software tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Oh No, subscription inbound…….

Post by IAA »

It all started off ok. Sat in front of computer getting ready for a tracking session, when out of the corner of my eye I caught an email from the kind folk at UAD. It offered a free demo to Spark for 14 days and then a discounted yearly offer. Thinking there’s no way I’ll sign up (Roland cloud pain in my recent memory), I proceeded to download them all.

So, it turned out after trying them out I’m a bit fed up. They’re really nice sounding dynamics, the preamps are actually far better than my go to stock ones. The organ is great too. (Like I haven’t enough already! :headbang: )

So I’m heading for sign up. If more are added it looks like I might have all I need and that’s that. Do you think? :roll:
IAA
Frequent Poster

Re: Oh No, subscription inbound…….

Post by muzines »

As a subscription alternative, you can buy the native ones in UAs sale on right now at quite reasonable prices (especially when you factor in vouchers).

I picked up the 1176 collection, the Lexicon 224 and Oxide so far for less than £90…

I might also pick up the B3 for ~£25 (I really don't need any more Minimoogs, even though the UA one is good...)
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by IAA »

….immediately leaves to check UA site…… :thumbup::thumbup:
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by muzines »

Let me know if you need some voucher tips... :thumbup:
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by muzines »

muzines wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:59 pm I might also pick up the B3 for ~£25 (I really don't need any more Minimoogs, even though the UA one is good...)

I did, in the end. The B3 in Logic is what I mostly use when I need to organ (I've played some other third-party ones which were decent too, but not enough to make me want to leave the Logic one) - and it's still really good imo, and I'd continue to be happy using it - but it doesn't quite have the detail and vibe that the UAD one has, so it won me over while noodling with it. At £24 (£59 - vouchers) it didn't break the bank, so I'm not feeling guilty about it... :shh:
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by sonics »

My interest in Waterfall has been piqued. Can I get a better deal than the current sale price then? I use B3X but have heard a few nice things from the new kid, and the UAD Moog sounds sweet, so whoever is doing their instruments would appear to be doing a good job.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by IAA »

Let me know if you need some voucher tips... :thumbup:

Cheers, but guess what, after trying to narrow down what I needed (wanted?), I still managed to rack up a several hundred pound bill.

I really liked the B3, part of its appeal was the drive on the 147, which really took me back to my teen set up.

So I’m going to keep the subscription for a year at least and see how I get on. I have to say the API EQ sounds very nice too.

Ian
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by tea for two »

If I had the talent to be a Funk Soul brother sister,
then that Waterfall B3 be ever so tempting.
I'm just not naturally Funkeee.
As it is I shall stay with Logic's EVB3.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by muzines »

sonics wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:09 am My interest in Waterfall has been piqued. Can I get a better deal than the current sale price then? I use B3X but have heard a few nice things from the new kid, and the UAD Moog sounds sweet, so whoever is doing their instruments would appear to be doing a good job.

The sale voucher ($25) everyone gets has a min spend of $99, so you can't use that (unless you want to buy two products), but you can use any thank you ($25) vouchers you may have (you get one usually each time you make a purchase), and you can use the secret UALURKER4LIFE to get an additional $10 off - so if you don't have any vouchers, you could get the B3 it $49. And then for your next purchase you could get $35 off ($25 thank you + $10 lurker).

IAA wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:34 am Cheers, but guess what, after trying to narrow down what I needed (wanted?), I still managed to rack up a several hundred pound bill.

No probs - yeah, if you want the lot, it's a somewhat bigger expense, no matter the sales.
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

muzines wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:52 pmand you can use the secret UALURKER4LIFE to get an additional $10 off

Not so secret now ... Never heard it before, I have to say.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13303 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
An inspirational quote is like a parachute.
It can really get you down.

Post by muzines »

ConcertinaChap wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:26 pm Not so secret now ... Never heard it before, I have to say.

It's a fun game that UA have done off and on over the years, though they went a bit further this time.

If you want to actually play the game... examine the HTML source code of the UA site... :thumbup:
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by sonics »

muzines wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:35 pm If you want to actually play the game... examine the HTML source code of the UA site... :thumbup:

Thanks for the info. I've not kept up with UA at all since I mothballed my UAD cards. (Thinks: I must get rid of them...!)
Are UA the company that hides voucher codes in MP3 files, too?
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by muzines »

sonics wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:09 pm Are UA the company that hides voucher codes in MP3 files, too?

The answer might be in my tip you quoted in your post... ;)
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

muzines wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:35 pm If you want to actually play the game... examine the HTML source code of the UA site... :thumbup:

Will do. Thanks as ever. :)

CC

Edited to add PS: Lot to be said for lurking, it seems ...
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13303 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
An inspirational quote is like a parachute.
It can really get you down.