Decent audio interface with Midi in/out. Presonus problem.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Decent audio interface with Midi in/out. Presonus problem.

Post by pressuridion »

Hello everyone.
I recently bought a second hand presonus Audiobox 96 for recording with synths and also using Midi in/out for sync etc with Ableton. When I started playing tho I faced some problems with distortion and peaking, even that the input levels were below middle. Also stereo panning delay effect were lost as mono when the input volume increased. I thought i did something wrong connecting the mixer with the audio interface. Maybe I do. Or that the second hand presonus was faulty. But when I did a better research on YouTube (I wish I had done that before buying this interface) I found a guy reviewing this presonus, saying that it can't record audio straight in line, that the manufacturers don't recommend it and that it needs a di box. Also the sound has noise issues.
So I need help and recommendations for a decent audio interface with Midi in/out (must) around 100€. Also, does the later presonus Audiobox 96 (black box) or the iTwo have the same issue?
Thank you in advance
pressuridion
New here

Re: Decent audio interface with Midi in/out. Presonus problem.

Post by Wonks »

The Audiobox 96 does have some strange specifications. The combi inputs are mic/instrument rather than mic/line or mic/line/instrument.

Using the TRS input on the combi seemingly does’t change the input gain level at all, just the input impedance to 500k ohms (from 1200 ohms for the XLR connection).

Maximum signal input level is -3dBu for 0dBFS, which means that even with gain on minimum (only 35dB available) anything with near line-output level is likely to cause clipping. No pad is available.

Signal/noise ratio is only 95dB and ADC/DAC dynamic range is a poor (compared to other interfaces) 105dB.

Not a great interface. Probably OK with a capacitor mic and an electric guitar, but not synths.

From what I can see, the latest (25th anniversary) model is very similar.

The iTwo is a better fit for your application, with a +10dBU maximum input level, and mic, line and instrument settings. But still no useful pad for dealing with hot signals. More gain available as well at 52dB.

But the same basic internal converter arrangement with 95dB S/N ratio and 105 dB dynamic range.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by sonics »

The Audiobox is not a good interface. If you wish to stick with PreSonus, may I recommend the Studio 24c, which is far superior.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by pressuridion »

Wonks wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:59 am The Audiobox 96 does have some strange specifications. The combi inputs are mic/instrument rather than mic/line or mic/line/instrument.

Using the TRS input on the combi seemingly does’t change the input gain level at all, just the input impedance to 500k ohms (from 1200 ohms for the XLR connection).

Maximum signal input level is -3dBu for 0dBFS, which means that even with gain on minimum (only 35dB available) anything with near line-output level is likely to cause clipping. No pad is available.

Signal/noise ratio is only 95dB and ADC/DAC dynamic range is a poor (compared to other interfaces) 105dB.

Not a great interface. Probably OK with a capacitor mic and an electric guitar, but not synths.

From what I can see, the latest (25th anniversary) model is very similar.

The iTwo is a better fit for your application, with a +10dBU maximum input level, and mic, line and instrument settings. But still no useful pad for dealing with hot signals. More gain available as well at 52dB.

But the same basic internal converter arrangement with 95dB S/N ratio and 105 dB dynamic range.

Thank you very much for your answer and suggestions. Very helpfull. So i guess i should go for other and more expensive audio interface?
pressuridion
New here

Post by pressuridion »

sonics wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:13 pm The Audiobox is not a good interface. If you wish to stick with PreSonus, may I recommend the Studio 24c, which is far superior.

Thank you for your answer. No i don't want to stick in Presonus. But i would like to find something better with midi in out, without that signal problems and in the price of 100e (if possible). The only reason i asked for the later Presonus models is because of their low price and the also have midi in out. Unfortunatly, most people are telling me that Presonus is not good.....
pressuridion
New here

Post by Wonks »

That particular model is rather compromised but the more expensive Presonus models are normally fine.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by pressuridion »

Wonks wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:24 am That particular model is rather compromised but the more expensive Presonus models are normally fine.

The other two presonus that i ve mention are not expensive (less than 100e) but i see that lot of people are not really sugesting these two models as a solution. So by saying "more expesive Presonus models" i guess you mean others than the Audiobox 25th anniversary or The iTwo, right?
pressuridion
New here

Post by DGL. »

For under £100 the Behringer UMC204HD would seem to fit the bill, the outputs are a bit low but that shouldn't be an issue in most cases. MIDI I/o seems to function as it should and mine was happy doing a MIDI sample dump to my S2.
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2020 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by Wonks »

Keeping the cost as low as possible, I’d also pick the UMC204HD.

The on-unit input level monitoring is basic, like the Presonus units, but spec-wise, it performs better than the Presonus and it has an ASIO driver rather than using ASIO4ALL, so real-world latency should be lower.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by pressuridion »

DGL. wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:37 am For under £100 the Behringer UMC204HD would seem to fit the bill, the outputs are a bit low but that shouldn't be an issue in most cases. MIDI I/o seems to function as it should and mine was happy doing a MIDI sample dump to my S2.

yes i believe is the most suggested and affordable solution. Thank you for the help
pressuridion
New here

Post by pressuridion »

Wonks wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:00 am Keeping the cost as low as possible, I’d also pick the UMC204HD.

The on-unit input level monitoring is basic, like the Presonus units, but spec-wise, it performs better than the Presonus and it has an ASIO driver rather than using ASIO4ALL, so real-world latency should be lower.

I feel that this is best and most suggested solution. Thank you for the help and info
pressuridion
New here

Post by sonics »

pressuridion wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:40 am Unfortunatly, most people are telling me that Presonus is not good.....

In the audio world more people say bad things about Behringer than any other brand I've ever known (including PreSonus). :)

Up to you, but I'd still buy a Studio 24c or 26c (or a couple of others) rather than the Behringer. Comes with Studio One Artist DAW software, too, in case that's of interest. Oh, and yes, I have used both. Either one should work absolutely fine, though.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Wonks »

But you bust a very low budget doing so.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

You won't get a 26c for under £100 but you can just get a 24c.
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Wonks »

That's true. Just so many of these small interfaces it's hard to keep track of what's out there.

The metering is definitely better on the 24c than either the Behringer or the smaller Presonus and it still has the hardware MIDI.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Yep, if you want a 5-pin midi socket for less than a ton then it's the 24c or one of the Behringers really.
Or you're looking at something a bit older second hand.
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by pressuridion »

sonics wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:08 pm
pressuridion wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:40 am Unfortunatly, most people are telling me that Presonus is not good.....

In the audio world more people say bad things about Behringer than any other brand I've ever known (including PreSonus). :)

Up to you, but I'd still buy a Studio 24c or 26c (or a couple of others) rather than the Behringer. Comes with Studio One Artist DAW software, too, in case that's of interest. Oh, and yes, I have used both. Either one should work absolutely fine, though.

Thank you very much for your help. That's exactly what i thought when i jumped from my Behringer to the Presonus. The mistake was all mine, not seeing that it has mic/inst and not mic/line. Your suggestion has a big plus knowing that you have used this presonus. They Studio 24c is in my list! I hope i can find it lower than 150e (125e+shipping)
pressuridion
New here

Post by pressuridion »

Wonks wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:46 pm But you bust a very low budget doing so.

yes, i know :(
pressuridion
New here

Post by pressuridion »

Drew Stephenson wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:49 pm You won't get a 26c for under £100 but you can just get a 24c.

I really hope so. The price in Thomann is great but adding the shipping cost the price goes to 150e. Same price in my local stores.
pressuridion
New here

Post by pressuridion »

Drew Stephenson wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:54 pm Yep, if you want a 5-pin midi socket for less than a ton then it's the 24c or one of the Behringers really.
Or you're looking at something a bit older second hand.

That's exactly my situation now....
pressuridion
New here