Emotional music composition

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: Emotional music composition

Post by OneWorld »

Arpangel wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:13 am
OneWorld wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:00 am
Arpangel wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:22 pm
OneWorld wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:18 pm
Arpangel wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:36 pm

Building a wall? It’s either straight and level, or it’s wrong.
Making music, well?

Same difference, only 2 kinds of music - good, and krap.

Are you inferring a builder only builds walls? That's like saying musicians can only play a 3 chord trick. They build houses too, and when a house becomes a home, it can have an emotional currency too

We are now defining the role of a builder, a master builder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKfTKNp_yUI

You might be, I'm not. Your statement requires some clarification - can you define the roles please? For clarification purposes, I am using an analogy (builders v composers) to illustrate a point, not establishing definitions.

That’s exactly it, the role of a musician cannot easily be defined, compared to a builder, and using this as an analogy doesn’t really work.

Au contrar, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The role of the music is to create and/perform music, the role of a builder is to create a home, the performance part is living in it - simples. I can imagine there's many a builder who once they have finished a home, done the final mix (of cement of course) they stand back and feel justifiably proud and emotional, and why not, that home could bring happiness, joy, good times and bad, over the years, even 100's of years, as indeed a piece of music can.

Emotion is emotion, it's a moving feast though, some might emote about this, some might emote about that, but at the end of the day, it's still emotion. I don't understand why musicians seem to have this idea that they have the monopoly on it, or why we become so precious about it.

Writing a piece of music trancends many emotions, or none, the inspiration might be happy song, sad song, make some money to put food on the table song, a song where to write or play might be a technical challenge, an instructional tune (eg Bach's 48 Preludes and Fugues) or a combination.

When it comes down to it, who are we to judge on another person's skill, expertise, dedication, pride in what they do. Have I ever seen a bricklayer cry when he/she builds a wonky wall? No, but have I ever seen a bagpipe player cry when he/she blows it, and plays a bum, note.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWorld »

amanise wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:39 am I think I've entered some kind of emotional civil engineering twilight zone....

"If you build it, people will come"
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

OneWorld wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:40 pm
Arpangel wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:13 am
OneWorld wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:00 am
Arpangel wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:22 pm
OneWorld wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:18 pm

Same difference, only 2 kinds of music - good, and krap.

Are you inferring a builder only builds walls? That's like saying musicians can only play a 3 chord trick. They build houses too, and when a house becomes a home, it can have an emotional currency too

We are now defining the role of a builder, a master builder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKfTKNp_yUI

You might be, I'm not. Your statement requires some clarification - can you define the roles please? For clarification purposes, I am using an analogy (builders v composers) to illustrate a point, not establishing definitions.

That’s exactly it, the role of a musician cannot easily be defined, compared to a builder, and using this as an analogy doesn’t really work.

Au contrar, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The role of the music is to create and/perform music, the role of a builder is to create a home, the performance part is living in it - simples. I can imagine there's many a builder who once they have finished a home, done the final mix (of cement of course) they stand back and feel justifiably proud and emotional, and why not, that home could bring happiness, joy, good times and bad, over the years, even 100's of years, as indeed a piece of music can.

Emotion is emotion, it's a moving feast though, some might emote about this, some might emote about that, but at the end of the day, it's still emotion. I don't understand why musicians seem to have this idea that they have the monopoly on it, or why we become so precious about it.

Writing a piece of music trancends many emotions, or none, the inspiration might be happy song, sad song, make some money to put food on the table song, a song where to write or play might be a technical challenge, an instructional tune (eg Bach's 48 Preludes and Fugues) or a combination.

When it comes down to it, who are we to judge on another person's skill, expertise, dedication, pride in what they do. Have I ever seen a bricklayer cry when he/she builds a wonky wall? No, but have I ever seen a bagpipe player cry when he/she blows it, and plays a bum, note.

Let’s just talk about the good stuff, the rest can go and theorise and play bagpipes, or whatever.
Bagpipes can be good though, but only in a very limited context, like funerals.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Well to whomsoever the bagpipes are being played in memory of, at a funeral, it won’t matter if they are played with emotion or not
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

OneWorld wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:38 pm Well to whomsoever the bagpipes are being played in memory of, at a funeral, it won’t matter if they are played with emotion or not

Did I really say "funerals" my god, I must be a little bit "disconnected"

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by amanise »

Arpangel wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:00 pm
OneWorld wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:38 pm Well to whomsoever the bagpipes are being played in memory of, at a funeral, it won’t matter if they are played with emotion or not

Indeed! Don't you remember the epic work "Its a Long Way To The Top (if you wanna rock n roll)" by (crosses chest) AC/DC?? Who can forget the stirring bagpipe solo by (crosses chest) Bon Scott??
amanise
Frequent Poster
Adrian Manise
https://adrianmanise.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/adrian-manise
A name to strike fear into the hearts of A&R people everywhere...
:headbang:

Post by OneWorld »

amanise wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:29 am
Arpangel wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:00 pm

Indeed! Don't you remember the epic work "Its a Long Way To The Top (if you wanna rock n roll)" by (crosses chest) AC/DC?? Who can forget the stirring bagpipe solo by (crosses chest) Bon Scott??

"Even my old kettle...is whistling the blues for you" surely one of the most emotive lines ever written.

I've Got the Empty Pocket Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XuKKTtg-Cs

They don't write 'em like this any more :-(
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by amanise »

OneWorld wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:46 am ...
I've Got the Empty Pocket Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XuKKTtg-Cs

They don't write 'em like this any more :-(

They certainly don't :bouncy:
amanise
Frequent Poster
Adrian Manise

Post by tea for two »

It wouldn't do, would it, to have such as Big Band Jazz, Reggae, Disco, Ska, EDM as morose navel gazing lol.
Although I'm working on 2 EDM pieces which are navel gazing so there goes that :headbang:

Various navel gazing songs have been Dancified such as suicide is painless.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4gOOO2nM7 ... Vzcw%3D%3D
Oh well.

Then there's styles as Shoe Gaze, Trip Hop which have a certain downbeat flava. So we would have to follow were we composing in those styles.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by amanise »

tea for two wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:34 pm .... So we would have to follow were we composing in those styles.

In my book, that's what sorts the pros from the rest of us really. Loads of people can come up with decent music. I'm always amazed at some of the stuff that people come up with these days now we all have a fully functioning studio in our spare rooms. Writing and producing to a brief though - different story. Maybe most of the time producing music you don't even like yourself. Must take a lot of skill and determination. Rick Wakeman does part of his 'evening with' shows playing songs you know in the style of other composers - like Mozart. It's amazing - and mostly, really funny.
amanise
Frequent Poster
Adrian Manise

Post by OneWorld »

amanise wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:46 pm
tea for two wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:34 pm .... So we would have to follow were we composing in those styles.

In my book, that's what sorts the pros from the rest of us really. Loads of people can come up with decent music. I'm always amazed at some of the stuff that people come up with these days now we all have a fully functioning studio in our spare rooms. Writing and producing to a brief though - different story. Maybe most of the time producing music you don't even like yourself. Must take a lot of skill and determination. Rick Wakeman does part of his 'evening with' shows playing songs you know in the style of other composers - like Mozart. It's amazing - and mostly, really funny.

I agree.I listen to YouTube a lot, not with any particular purpose, more the case that there's nothing but dross on the telly and many of the broadcast radio stations but on shows with DJs that try too hard to be funny, or 'down with the kids' the 'banter' is puerile. I don't give a flying pheasant what style of bloomers Kim Kardashiggins is wearing, no more than she wants to know what size of y-fronts I wear, I just want to hear a selection of music that is worthy of a listen with hopefully some informative comment about the music. Bah grrr etc

But o YouTube I too am amazed at not just the really enjoyable music but recorded in the spare room, or even on the back porch, and it's superbly performed and presented, watch these 3 gals from Georgia, who could not be enchanted.....

Trio Mandilli
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJr5gEKsPDM

And yes, Rick Wakeman is not only a top dollar musician but quite a funny fellow too, and excellent presenter
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by tea for two »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:47 am The song Happy Birthday To You, is a happy song, I recorded a version of it that will have you slitting your wrists, it makes me cry every time I hear it.

I have music pieces I made as this, when I Iistened to them left me in bits. I couldn't bring myself to listen to them for years
But not anymore.
I can listen to them nowadays doesn't affect me one bit this way.

It is so very important to Take Flight unto our Origin.
If you don't Take Flight you will always be kept prisoner by such as these music pieces of yours, which is to your detriment in the most important sense.

Taking Flight is eternally worth it.

As the outcome of Taking Flight is ever so enriching for ourself our life our dear loved ones, our empathy sensitivity towards others, healing our broken fractured heart, healing our severe anxiety depression panic, our ability to water off ducks back everything life throws at us, enriching our creativity, increasing our understanding of whichever is our vocation from audio engineering to marine biology to astrophysics to neurology you name it, our understanding of horrors perpetrated on earth, our understanding of natural disasters, our understanding of Sacred things we no longer require any books nor any scripture to understand the Sacred.

Taking Flight brings to the fore within your our innermost self the Sacredness that is hardwired into you into all of us human beings.

It is also worth considering proper Sacred music Spiritual music is never "wrist slitting."
It's the opposite of "wrist slitting".
Necessarily so.
For instance Gospel Spiritual music, Sufi Qawali Sacred music. Our own Spiritual Sacred music if we have made such.

::

To Take Flight it is necessarily to put everything aside that chains us from Taking Flight :
this is putting aside things in our character so very important to do so it's the first step cleansing ourself, putting aside things in our life we hold dear including loved ones loved things it is a Spiritual putting aside of loved ones loved things Not physical, putting aside things that have shaped us such as our upbringing past experiences relationships culture society organised religious system.

It's not easy to Take Flight. Takes years of dedication self sacrifice. Similar as learning any discipline as learning an instrument.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by amanise »

OneWorld wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:13 pm ...watch these 3 gals from Georgia, who could not be enchanted.....

Trio Mandilli
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJr5gEKsPDM

Indeed. I did not escape the enchantment :)
amanise
Frequent Poster
Adrian Manise

Post by Arpangel »

tea for two wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:07 am It's not easy to Take Flight. Takes years of dedication self sacrifice. Similar as learning any discipline as learning an instrument.

"Taking flight" takes many forms, and routes.
It is not possible to learn any instrument to the level at which you can truly call yourself musician, unless you "let go" of all of our pre-conditioned wants and needs.
There are many that call themselves musicians when it’s obvious they aren’t, the word "musician" is very close to the word "magician" and it’s only when you hear someone play who’s in contact with something beyond explanation, who can "evoke" feelings in us that we can’t explain, that the magic happens.
This is what happens when we talk about all the "great" music we love, some can play an instrument, some very well, but not all can make that final connection, which truly qualifies them the title of "musician"
Arpangel
Jedi Poster