Interface failed, need a new one, any recommendations?

Discuss the hardware/software tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Interface failed, need a new one, any recommendations?

Post by Arpangel »

My Behringer 1820 suddenly went down yesterday, not good, seeing as it’s only three years old.
It made a strange "crackling" noise there was a burning smell, I’m not even going to bother to open it up.
This is a good time to get something else, I’ve thought about a couple of things, I need 8 I/O.
The Motu, and Focusrite Scarlett, or Clarett, not sure it’ll be worth me spending that much on the Clarett, I know it’s a good sounding unit, but may be a bit OTT for me now, given my hearing these days.
Can’t think of anything else, maybe people can throw in a few ideas, and one thing I do need is a front panel "Mix" knob like the Behringer has.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Interface failed, need a new one, any recommendations?

Post by Kwackman »

Audient EVO16?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3270 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Arpangel »

Kwackman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:04 am Audient EVO16?

Thanks, that looks perfect, price-wise.
Just need to check it’ll work with my Mac running High Sierra.
Is it rack mountable? I need that really.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Stig Ø »

Seems you can get rack ears for it. Doesn’t seem to be included, though.
Stig Ø
Poster
I make guitar noises

Post by Arpangel »

Stig Ø wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:31 am Seems you can get rack ears for it. Doesn’t seem to be included, though.

Thanks, it looks good, I’m setting a budget for this, around £500, give or take, so it’s going on the shortlist.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

Arpangel wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:23 am

The EVO does not have any DIN MIDI ports if that matters Tony? As you were a fan of Behringer (no more mayhap?) how about a smaller interface with ADAT and an ADA8200? The latter could be upgraded later?

Then there is the Tascam 16/08 and after their disaster with the US2000 they now DO fit DINs! Rack mountable to boot.

I would LOVE to suggest a MOTU but the biggies ARE expensive.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16987 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Arpangel »

ef37a wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:01 am
Arpangel wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:23 am

The EVO does not have any DIN MIDI ports if that matters Tony? As you were a fan of Behringer (no more mayhap?) how about a smaller interface with ADAT and an ADA8200? The latter could be upgraded later?

Then there is the Tascam 16/08 and after their disaster with the US2000 they now DO fit DINs! Rack mountable to boot.

I would LOVE to suggest a MOTU but the biggies ARE expensive.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, that’s a good idea about ADAT, I’ve got a smaller Berry, I’ll see if it works with that.
I’ve just looked at the Motu 8 Pre, that’s around £500/600 quid, that could be an option, oh yes, I must have DIN Midi, so the Evo is off the list.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

Thought you might miss those Mr T!
I cannot understand AI peeps leaving these ports off? Even very cheap AIs and other devices have them so they must cost nanties to implement?

There is some excuse for very wee devices but we now see MIDI on 3.5mm TRS (Ugh!) and there is always the 'D' breakout cable. Messy I know but it gets the job done.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I've got a 16x08 and so far it's been a very reliable and useable bit of kit. Bear in mind the first 8 channels are mic only though, no combo sockets. You've still got 8 line (or 6 line and two hi-z) inputs.
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by ef37a »

Drew Stephenson wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:57 am I've got a 16x08 and so far it's been a very reliable and useable bit of kit. Bear in mind the first 8 channels are mic only though, no combo sockets. You've still got 8 line (or 6 line and two hi-z) inputs.

Never had one Drew but they have been around a long time so any bugs should have been well shaken out by now? The fact that we now hear little about them is good news I think.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

ef37a wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:38 am
Drew Stephenson wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:57 am I've got a 16x08 and so far it's been a very reliable and useable bit of kit. Bear in mind the first 8 channels are mic only though, no combo sockets. You've still got 8 line (or 6 line and two hi-z) inputs.

Never had one Drew but they have been around a long time so any bugs should have been well shaken out by now? The fact that we now hear little about them is good news I think.

Dave.

The only other caveat I'd add is that it doesn't seem to play nicely with Zoom (as in the provider of remote meetings, not the audio hardware company).
Aside from that I'm a happy owner.
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Moroccomoose »

You can pick up a profire 2626 on ebay for less than £150. Plus another £20 for a firewire card and Bob's yer Auntie's live-in lover!
Admittedly firewire is a bit old hat, but my profire is more stable in win 11 than it ever has been.
That said, I have already decided that when the time comes, the EVO16 looks like the ideal replacement. Will definitely be going for a USB3 option. I'm less concerned about midi as most midi stuff is already USB, or it is easy enough to get a USB midi interface. I guess the new limit becomes how many USB ports will I need?!
Moroccomoose
Regular
Posts: 484 Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 am Location: Leicester

Post by MarkOne »

Moroccomoose wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:12 pm You can pick up a profire 2626 on ebay for less than £150. Plus another £20 for a firewire card and Bob's yer Auntie's live-in lover!
Admittedly firewire is a bit old hat, but my profire is more stable in win 11 than it ever has been.
That said, I have already decided that when the time comes, the EVO16 looks like the ideal replacement. Will definitely be going for a USB3 option. I'm less concerned about midi as most midi stuff is already USB, or it is easy enough to get a USB midi interface. I guess the new limit becomes how many USB ports will I need?!

Not sure, but I think Tony is on a Mac right now, and getting any firewire working is a sure way to blow a mental fuse. And even in PC land, not all Firewire cards are equal, and depending on the chipset you might end up extremely unlucky with that cheapo interface card (Do people even buy computers with replaceable cards like that any more?)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2825 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by OneWorld »

Of course the biggest restraint is budget. It seems that you are reluctant to spend a dis-proportionate amount because of your hearing. If you are happy to stay with a firewire option I would certainly consider a used RME FF800, they are getting cheaper and cheaper. Or how about the Focusrite Liquid 56, I had one of these before I went over to RME (simply because the RME is only 1U rack space) but the Focusrite I had was certainly the equal of the RME, a really reliable solid old bus of a thing that was sonically equivalent to me RME as well. I have seen them advertised as little as £100, I think I did well getting £200 for mine when I sold it several months ago.

However, Focusrite aren't supporting it any more so it might well come to the point that the driver might not work on newer OS's - mine worked fine on all issues of Win10/64

I too had a Profire 2626 way back when and I seem to remember it worked fine, and yes they are cheap as chips (mind you have you been to the chippy lately!!!!, costs an arm and a leg) I have seen the Profire as cheap as £75
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Arpangel wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:11 am oh yes, I must have DIN Midi, so the Evo is off the list.

You could always use a separate Midi interface. They seem to last longer than audio interfaces (apart from maybe RME).

I'd strongly advise against a Firewire interface (remember this is Tony asking folks). Even if you get it going now, you are probably living on borrowed time with it and something will stop it working in the fairly near future.
James Perrett
Posts: 14606 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by ef37a »

James Perrett wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:59 pmYou could always use a separate Midi interface. They seem to last longer than audio interfaces (apart from maybe RME).

Evidence James? I have had USB interfaces starting with an M-A Fast track Pro on XP through a Tascam US 122, a Focusrite 8i6 (still have) Behringer BCA 2000. (that did break, two samples 3 times but that was because they were ****!) and Alesis, wee thing with MIDI can't recall the model. An NI KA6 still have, works fine, and finally the M4. All those interfaces kept working apart from the BCA2K (and I am sure I could have fixed that if Behs weren't such ***ts about spares!)

The 'lesser' interfaces were either donated or sent to son and AFAIK still work.

Oh yes, totally agree, avoid FWire. It was enough of a PITA in its heyday, don't want to go there again!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

ef37a wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:11 pm Evidence James?

Mainly from the number of faulty interface posts we get on here. Most of the issues that I've seen personally have been more down to obsolescence. I've got a redundant Turtle Beach Multisound which needs an ISA slot and the Firewire part of my Focusrite seems to have stopped working so I just use it as a preamp/ADC now. A friend that I help out with computer gear had to buy a new interface because his old one wouldn't work with anything newer than XP.

OK so the MQX32M Midi interface is obsolete for the same reason as the Multisound but the MOTU Fastlane keeps going on Win 10. However I've not tried the Midiman interface on Win 10 yet.

Personally, I find that my current audio interfaces need to be more portable than the Midi interface so it makes sense to leave the Midi interface behind and still connected up when I take the recording rig out on location. So separate audio and Midi interfaces work better for me.
James Perrett
Posts: 14606 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by sonics »

PreSonus Studio 1824c or Tascam US-16x08. Both excellent interfaces. You can adjust the former from an iPad, too.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Arpangel »

sonics wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:37 pm PreSonus Studio 1824c or Tascam US-16x08. Both excellent interfaces. You can adjust the former from an iPad, too.

I was looking at that Tascam, good price, but after thinking more, helped by a few large G&T's, that Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre is tempting, and life is too short to to mess around.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by sonics »

Stop messing about with the G&Ts and order a large Clarett, then. It's one of my favourites - mature yet affordable, and an excellent vintage!
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by BWC »

James Perrett wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:27 pm

Mainly from the number of faulty interface posts we get on here.

Taking into account the much greater number of people (often with little understanding) that buy audio vs. MIDI interfaces? I can see how the former might be more susceptible to obsolescence though.
BWC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 707 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by ef37a »

BWC wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:43 am
James Perrett wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:27 pm

Mainly from the number of faulty interface posts we get on here.

Taking into account the much greater number of people (often with little understanding) that buy audio vs. MIDI interfaces? I can see how the former might be more susceptible to obsolescence though.

As a long time lurker on the forum I would say the incidence of AI failures reported was incredibly low? Especially since almost everyone here uses at least one! Even then, some of the "faults" turn out to be 'finger trouble' and kind suggestion to "RTFM" often sorts the poster out!

It also seems to me that James was really referring to AIs that were 'orphaned' by OS changes? That is more a question of 'politics' than of reliability.

I don't know but I suspect MIDI only interfaces use a 'generic USB MIDI' driver and that does not change with OS upgrades?

But my main beef with AI manufacturers of some quite costly interfaces is the 'bean counter' attitude plus the fact that MIDI capability has been a feature of AIs right back to Sound Blaster days.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Just discovered a fault in the PSU of my 1820, where the lead goes into the in -line "lump" it’s shorted out, the wires are stripped at that point, I tried another PSU, correct voltage but not the right amperage, and the 1820 works, this is really bad, it must have been like this since new, as it’s just been sitting I my rack, that would explain the burning smell.
Trouble is, I can’t seem to find the correct replacement PSU, it needs to be 12v 2000ma centre negative, I’ve found a My Volts PSU it’s described as being for an 1820, but it’s centre positive, is this important? and can I use a generic PSU?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

You definitely need a centre negative PSU. Centre positive won’t work and could damage components if they haven’t fitted reverse polarity protection.

The spec sheet says 20W max. power consumption, so at 12v that’s 1.66A/1666mA. So you’ll need a PSU that can supply at least 1700mA, but it can have a bigger capacity. Yes, it can be generic.

e.g. https://amzn.eu/d/j82zsaJ
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Arpangel »

Wonks wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:33 am You definitely need a centre negative PSU. Centre positive won’t work and could damage components if they haven’t fitted reverse polarity protection.

The spec sheet says 20W max. power consumption, so at 12v that’s 1.66A/1666mA. So you’ll need a PSU that can supply at least 1700mA, but it can have a bigger capacity. Yes, it can be generic.

Thanks Wonks, I’m going to Cricklewood electronics later, hopefully they’ll have one.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

Tony, are you ABSOLUTELY sure that B'ringer is centre negative?

That odd polarity is almost exclusive to guitar pedal supplies for variously contested reasons. Bloody silly of Behringers to do that if so.

As Wonks says, provided the supply can deliver around 2 amps at 12V most will be fine but I would suggest buying from a reputable source such as RS Comps or CPC/Farnell and not some 'no name' tat online.

I am sure CPC will do a properly rated supply and one with a 'universal' set of connectors so you can get the (VITAL!) polarity right. PLEASE tell me you own a digital test meter?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

It is centre negative, or at least the graphic by the power connector on the interface says it is.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Arpangel »

Wonks wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:04 am It is centre negative, or at least the graphic by the power connector on the interface says it is.

Absolutely. I had to change the polarity to negative on the PSU I tested it with.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

Wonks wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:04 am It is centre negative, or at least the graphic by the power connector on the interface says it is.

Yes indeed. I have managed to find a rear view with just good enough resolution to confirm.
THAT is bloody daft and an accident waiting to happen. I have and have had dozens of rat powered bits of kit and none have been centre negative except guitar electronics.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

ef37a wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:59 am PLEASE tell me you own a digital test meter?

Dave.

Yes! I do! as for knowing how to use it, that’s a different kettle of doo-daa!
I got a huge belt off that PSU, thought I was going to die! I couldn’t let go of it, I think I touched a charged capacitor, that’s the biggest electrical shock I’ve ever had, and they were tiny capacitors.
WARNING!

:shocked:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster