Sound level meter

Discuss the hardware/software tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Sound level meter

Post by HammyHamfist »

Just bought a drawmer MC 2.1 and on reading the manual (My brain always tells me to spell it manuel, who is off course a spanish waiter in flowery twats), it says i need an sound level meter to calibrate my speakers. Any recommendations on a suitable device around £100.

hammy
HammyHamfist
New here

Re: Sound level meter

Post by Wonks »

I’d go for a simple phone app. iPhone ones tend to be more accurate in absolute terms because the mic is a known entity, whereas android phones can have a wide range of mics. But within a few dB is OK as it’s really a repeatable relative volume you want, and you know what a comfortable listening level is.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

If you want a separate, dedicated, meter I'd suggest something like this at about £37 as a basic minimum:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HOLDPEAK-Backl ... ing&sr=8-2

The key essentials for setting an acoustic reference listening level are C-weighting and a slow averaging response. All of the cheaper sound level meters I've seen only offer A-weighting which isn't appropriate, and this is the least expensive option I've found with thee right facilities. It also claims to be calibrated...

Alternatively, you can use a smartphone app as Wonks suggests. Some claim to be calibrated to particular models of phone, but I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Just make sure that the app provides C-weighting options and slow averaging.

Although it's nice to know the absolute Sound Pressure Level you're calibrating your speakers to, it really doesn't matter in a standalone installation. Consistency and repeatability is far more important, so don't get hung up about calibration accuracy.

This article might be helpful:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ing-levels
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by HammyHamfist »

Thanks guys for the input, have bought the meter you recommended Hugh and read the article so i am more clear on whats involved. I will also download the app to my phone just for a comparison between the two.

Thanks hammy
HammyHamfist
New here

Post by Wonks »

One thing to note about phone apps is that the inbuilt mic will hit the maximum value for the A/D converter on iPhones at around 104dB SPL, and you’ll get the same issue on other phones, though undoubtedly at different SPL levels.

This shouldn’t be a problem in any phone for normal listening levels, but be aware of it if you do phone vs meter comparisons using say loud guitar amps.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.