My Studio Build

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

My Studio Build

Post by Ian Shaw »

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been around much on theses pages of late due to the various events life (and death), so music has taken a back seat for a while. But I haven't been completely idle & have finally moved into my home studio.

I partitioned off part of my garage several years ago to do this, and then filled it with bikes & camping equipment, as one does. But finally, over Xmas, when work was quiet, I got round to doing the bulk of the build. The basic structure of the garage is block with a proper tiled roof. I put 100mm acoustic slab around the walls followed by 11mm OSB. Much of the rest is made from recycled or left over materials. The back wall is pallet wood, the desk is made from ash, the speaker stands are made from the legs of two foot stools & some church pew.

If anyone is interested here are some pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/sin9dk1u ... 6kuuaqgjz5

All in all, I'm very pleased with the feel & sound of it, although I haven't done any acoustic measurements to find out.

I'm just waiting for the creative spark to return & will be good to go.

All the best

Ian
Ian Shaw
Regular
Posts: 180 Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:00 am Location: Somerset
'...and when we got bored, we have a world war...'

Re: My Studio Build

Post by mellowsouls »

Nice! Lots of character, and hopefully an inspiring environment in which to create. I started mine 4 years ago, still quite a way off! I too am going to go the recycle/reuse way out of necessity - money (or lack of) being the main factor!
mellowsouls
Poster
Posts: 73 Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:00 am Location: Swansea

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Love studio build pics!
Hope you get many happy hours there. :thumbup:
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25395 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by ore_terra »

Cozy!

Niiiiice :thumbup:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1071 Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 pm Location: Seville - Spain
casmoestudio.com

Post by RichardT »

That looks like a very nice environment in which to work.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4404 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Ian Shaw »

mellowsouls wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:26 am Nice! Lots of character, and hopefully an inspiring environment in which to create. I started mine 4 years ago, still quite a way off! I too am going to go the recycle/reuse way out of necessity - money (or lack of) being the main factor!

About the same time I started mine. Luckily, as a joiner, I get a lot of leftovers & remove old doors & windows from site when I replace them. Most people are happy to let me take stuff away & out of their hair, especially pallets. I often takes more time to them apart than to make something new from them.

What I like best is I can shut the door & barely hear the world outside, & the world can't hear me making strange noises with my synths, etc!
Ian Shaw
Regular

Post by amanise »

Looks like a very welcoming space - and the pallet wood is a really nice surface to look at! I'm sure the creative spark will be incoming before long in there!
My new thing after this winter is - is it warm?? :lol:
amanise
Frequent Poster
Adrian Manise
https://adrianmanise.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/adrian-manise
A name to strike fear into the hearts of A&R people everywhere...
:headbang:

Post by Ian Shaw »

amanise wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:40 pm Looks like a very welcoming space - and the pallet wood is a really nice surface to look at! I'm sure the creative spark will be incoming before long in there!
My new thing after this winter is - is it warm?? :lol:

I know what you mean. This winter nearly finished me. It must be old age coming over horizon.
No, it's not warm, but once it warms up it holds the heat very well. It's now also the coolest room in the house due to the amount of insulation in there. My dog really appreciates it in the heat.
Ian Shaw
Regular

Post by Ian Shaw »

Drew Stephenson wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:38 am Love studio build pics!
Hope you get many happy hours there. :thumbup:

I will, thanks. And a real contrast to your studio Drew, which is also very cool indeed
Ian Shaw
Regular

Post by Martin Walker »

Nice work Ian! :clap:8-):thumbup:
Martin Walker
Posts: 20734 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by resistorman »

Great! Very comfy and inviting. I particularly like the speaker stands.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2743 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Arpangel »

How are you finding working with the monitors in the corners? I’ve had bad experiences doing this, but if you’re treatment works, maybe it’s fine.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ian Shaw »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:18 pm How are you finding working with the monitors in the corners? I’ve had bad experiences doing this, but if you’re treatment works, maybe it’s fine.

It's work in progress. I've only just put them on the stands. I've rolled a couple of db off the low end using the controls on the back of the monitors as suggested in the manual & I'll see how it goes from there.
I tried recording some vocals yesterday which sound very boxy, but that was without my reflection filter. I also recorded a bit of acoustic guitar with mixed results. I'll get my classical guitar out at some point which is fantastic at picking up room problems.
Ian Shaw
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

Ian Shaw wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:20 pm
Arpangel wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:18 pm How are you finding working with the monitors in the corners? I’ve had bad experiences doing this, but if you’re treatment works, maybe it’s fine.

It's work in progress. I've only just put them on the stands. I've rolled a couple of db off the low end using the controls on the back of the monitors as suggested in the manual & I'll see how it goes from there.
I tried recording some vocals yesterday which sound very boxy, but that was without my reflection filter. I also recorded a bit of acoustic guitar with mixed results. I'll get my classical guitar out at some point which is fantastic at picking up room problems.

I know you haven’t got that much space, but try moving the monitors out of the corners, and doing that old equilateral triangle thing, it’s surprising how small the distance can be between the monitors in relation to your monitoring position.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster