Setting up a diy spring reverb

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Setting up a diy spring reverb

Post by grahamgrant »

Hi all, I’m trying to set up a diy dual mono spring reverb using a headphone amp, but can’t quite work out the best way to do it.

I have two tanks which have an input impedance of 150 ohms and and output of 12,000 ohms.

I will be taking the unbalanced mono jack out from my Tascam m216 effects send and somehow splitting the signal, driving the two tanks and then returning TWO unbalanced jacks to the M216 effect in.

I am going to get a vintage hifi amp of some description and taking a trs to twin rca from the headphone out to drive the two tanks.

The returns from the two tanks can go into an Allen and Heath zed10 which has two hi-z inputs and then out to the effects in.

What I’m trying to work out though is how to take the unbalanced jack out from the m216, duplicate it and then convert into a left and right rca to go into the hifi amp.

Also, I’m not sure what kind of hifi amp to get - will a small 20watt amp have a strong enough signal from the headphone amp to drive two 150 ohm tanks?

I would also like to reduce any hum and interference as much as possible, so am wondering whether I should be balancing the signal periodically even though it will then become unbalanced.

And to make things harder I have zero knowledge of electronics, so can’t do anything involving soldering, so can only use off the shelf components.

Any advice gratefully received! There’s a few bits online about doing this, but is either very technical or overly simplistic, and nothing that covers taking a mono signal and then splitting it.

Thank you in advance,

Graham
grahamgrant

Re: Setting up a diy spring reverb

Post by resistorman »

I don't think it will be a good idea to plug an actual amplifier in, you could burn up the transducers? I would try a simple headphone amp like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-HA400- ... 000KIPT30/
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2601 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by resistorman »

In fact, maybe you could drive them with your headphone out from the Tascam.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by ef37a »

resistorman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:40 pm I don't think it will be a good idea to plug an actual amplifier in, you could burn up the transducers? I would try a simple headphone amp like this:

Well maybe so but the old Fender stand alone reverb units did hit the coils pretty hard with a 6V6 amp. (actually it wasn't a 6V6 but a similar 12W pentode the name of which escapes me!)

Graham, I really think this project is doomed to failure since you say you cannot solder and have zero electronics knowledge. I don't want to be unkind but if you cannot work out how to get a stereo TRS source to two RCA plugs you are going to really struggle with the rest of the job.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16103 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by resistorman »

resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by ef37a »

resistorman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:59 pm Using something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Devinal-Splitter ... NKFMH?th=1

Aw shucks R man! Now you gone an TOLD him!

To be a bit more helpful? i would use a small mixer such as the Xenxy 502/802 and drive the coils from the FX out buffered by the HA400 amp and return to a stereo line input.
In guitar amps, spring verbs also feed back a portion of the output to the drive amp to get decaying repeats. A bit of creative plugging about might produce a similar effect.

Fork! I am interested now! I might look for a cheap tank and have a play.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16103 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Wonks »

There’s normally some signal filtering on the way in to reduce the low and high frequency content.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16113 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by sonics »

If you can teach yourself some basic electronics and learn to solder (which I highly recommend!) then you might consider Scott Hampton's kit.
You can buy a pre-made power supply for that.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1353 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by GrahamGrant2 »

resistorman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:40 pm I don't think it will be a good idea to plug an actual amplifier in, you could burn up the transducers? I would try a simple headphone amp like this:

Yes, as I explained I will be using the headphone out of the amp. I want to use a hifi amp rather than a headphone amp is that the former will have tone controls to reduce the low frequency send to the spring as to not overload it, whereas the vast majority of dedicated headphone amps don't have tone controls.
GrahamGrant2
Poster

Post by GrahamGrant2 »

resistorman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:44 pm In fact, maybe you could drive them with your headphone out from the Tascam.

Good idea, although I want the tone shaping as above, however I forgot about the headphone out from the Tascam so thank you for reminding me!
GrahamGrant2
Poster

Post by GrahamGrant2 »

ef37a wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:54 pm

Well maybe so but the old Fender stand alone reverb units did hit the coils pretty hard with a 6V6 amp. (actually it wasn't a 6V6 but a similar 12W pentode the name of which escapes me!)

Graham, I really think this project is doomed to failure since you say you cannot solder and have zero electronics knowledge. I don't want to be unkind but if you cannot work out how to get a stereo TRS source to two RCA plugs you are going to really struggle with the rest of the job.

Dave.

Dave, apologies if it wasn't clear, although I think it was - the FX send from the M216 is unbalanced mono. I need to duplicate this signal to create a dual mono send to the hifi amp, as the M216 has two unbalanced FX returns which can be panned L and R. I'm well aware how to get a stereo TRS to twin RCA.
GrahamGrant2
Poster

Post by GrahamGrant2 »

resistorman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:59 pm Using something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Devinal-Splitter ... NKFMH?th=1

See comment above - I'm trying to convert unbalanced mono to twin rca.
GrahamGrant2
Poster