Talkback units

Discuss the hardware/software tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Talkback units

Post by Arpangel »

My home built talkback box has just died, just wondering what some folks use here? I’ve got a talkback section on my mixer, but I’m not using that at the moment.
It would be handy to have a dedicated stand alone unit.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Talkback units

Post by MarkOne »

They’re mostly built into monitor controllers.

My Presonus Monitor Station has one, and it works well.

Looks like there’s this but it isn’t cheap!
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2825 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Bob Bickerton »

I use the Radial Studio-Q: https://www.radialeng.com/product/studio-q

Solid piece of kit, with a few extra options if you need them like external mic and producer circuit.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5158 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by The Elf »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:24 am My home built talkback box has just died, just wondering what some folks use here?

It depends on how you use/route your talkback facility, but for myself I just allocate one input of my AI as a talkback mic input and route it accordingly. I use desktop PA/'Tannoy' mic's for talkback, with a built-in momentary/latching switch. These can usually be picked up secondhand for peanuts; I paid 4 quid for my last one.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20285 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Arpangel »

Thanks all, these new units seem very expensive, not a viable proposition for me personally.
I was using my MixWiz 14-4-2 which has a good talkback section, in combination with an amp box that fed a 100 metre speaker drum.
But it’s a pain to set up, I’ve got a gooseneck mic plugged into the mixer TB socket, routed to an aux out, that feeds the amp box.
It’s all a bit messy, it would be good to have a self contained unit, that a speaker can be plugged into, I’m trying to think how this could be wireless, Bluetooth?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Aled Hughes »

I use the talkback (and listenback) facilities in RME Totalmix (with an ARC controller). Works very well.

Previously used the talkback built into the Amek desk we have. It was quite useful having the option to send the talkback to separate destinations, but the RME works better overall I think as it’s easier to route the TB mic into the DAW in case it needs recording etc.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1829 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by The Elf »

Just to clarify what I was talking about above...
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20285 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by ef37a »

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... ewQAvD_BwE

One of those ^ and bit of switching jiggery-pokerey, job's a good'un?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16987 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Arpangel »

ef37a wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:03 pmhttps://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... ewQAvD_BwE

Dave.

Good thinking, I could bypass my amp box, and the speaker reel, and just run one lead from the aux out. Although my speaker reel has a 100 metres of cable on it :-|
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by resistorman »

ef37a wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:03 pmhttps://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... ewQAvD_BwE

Dave.

Nice looking little speaker... good for the workbench? Hmmm.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2743 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by ef37a »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:41 pm

Dave.

Good thinking, I could bypass my amp box, and the speaker reel, and just run one lead from the aux out. Although my speaker reel has a 100 metres of cable on it :-|

I was thinking more that you could just run a balance mic line from goosey-goosey?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

ef37a wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:35 am

Dave.

I was thinking more that you could just run a balance mic line from goosey-goosey?

Dave.

The gooseneck doesn’t have a dedicated output on the MixWiz, you have to route via main out, subs, or aux.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:36 am
ef37a wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:35 am

Dave.

I see. OK just use a dirt cheap passive DI to send it?

Dave.

Dave.

The gooseneck doesn’t have a dedicated output on the MixWiz, you have to route via main out, subs, or aux.

ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Are you there Dave? I know it’s a Sunday morning, and only us two are here.

:D:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:33 am Are you there Dave? I know it’s a Sunday morning, and only us two are here.

I might not be "all there" (some say) but yes, mostly with you. I cocked up that quote, often do in SoS. Did you see about DI?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

ef37a wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:45 am
Arpangel wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:33 am Are you there Dave? I know it’s a Sunday morning, and only us two are here.

I might not be "all there" (some say) but yes, mostly with you. I cocked up that quote, often do in SoS. Did you see about DI?

Dave.

DI?
Hmmmmm?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

"DI?
Hmmmmm?"

Have I confused you sir? I mean that you seem to have a line'ish level source and that active speaker has mic XLRs so a floating, balanced signal from a traff could go a very long way. You might even find your unscreened speaker cable is good enough!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Aled Hughes »

ef37a wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:07 pm "DI?
Hmmmmm?"

Have I confused you sir? I mean that you seem to have a line'ish level source and that active speaker has mic XLRs so a floating, balanced signal from a traff could go a very long way. You might even find your unscreened speaker cable is good enough!

Dave.

I don’t think Arpangel saw your comment Dave, as it’s buried in another quite!
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1829 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by Arpangel »

I’m thinking that my iPad with the mic activated, via something like Garage Band for instance, could be used with my MiniRig speaker, instant talkback?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

All you need is a mic, a preamp, a mute switch, some cable, and an active speaker. Those elements can be found in a multitude of places. Its not rocket science. Its not even complicated audio engineering.

A dedicated TB unit, like those listed above, is convenient, but many consoles have suitable features, or you can use standalone hardware.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:12 pm All you need is a mic, a preamp, a mute switch, some cable, and an active speaker. Those elements can be found in a multitude of places. Its not rocket science. Its not even complicated audio engineering.

A dedicated TB unit, like those listed above, is convenient, but many consoles have suitable features, or you can use standalone hardware.

I’ve got a box that was made to house a small talkback amp, with various speaker feeds on it, I have an old cable drum with a passive speaker screwed into the middle of it, I just plug that into the amp and unroll it and that’s that. The amp box has a line level input on it to take the output from the desk aux.
The amp has packed up, I could just replace that, but I wondered about an all in one solution.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

They exist but they cost money. You can make your own easily by plugging standard products together.

Or you can repair what you have.

All you need is a decision.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:25 pm They exist but they cost money. You can make your own easily by plugging standard products together.

Or you can repair what you have.

All you need is a decision.

I’ve found a bit of metal rolling about in the amp case, it’s a big "bolt" looking thing with an eyelet on the end covered in solder, but I can’t find any obvious place where it’s come from!
If the guy that made this had put a mic socket on it and a switch, it would be self contained, no need for the mixer and mic, but that’s irrelevant if it isn’t working.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster